SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do I have here ? Beretta.22 short
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I have here ? Beretta.22 short Login/Join 
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted
My Uncle gave me this little pistol.

Not sure what I have.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3472 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's a Beretta 950B "Minx", circa late 1950s or early 1960s. (Also offered in the slightly larger .25 ACP caliber, which was known as the "Jetfire" model.)

Came in either a more common shorter 2.4" barrel version, or the less common longer 3.75" barrel version like yours.

After 1968, the model was changed to the 950BS, which had the addition of a thumb safety.

Here's a comparison of a 3.75" 950B and a 2.4" 950BS:

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
That was quick and precise.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3472 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What you have is a lot of fun. Those little tilt barrel 22's are more fun than a basket full of puppies.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The guns are neat. Do not expect 100% reliability. That these guns are problematic is recognized over on the Beretta forums. Personally, the four or five I've shot over the years have all been jam-o-matics. YMMV

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had two of these 950BS Minx pistols over the years, shot them quite a bit, and both functioned flawlessly. Just clean the bore / chamber regularly, as they have no extractor. The 21A pistols, chambered in 22LR, do have a reputation for being finicky.

Posts: 79 | Location: Wooster, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:
The guns are neat. Do not expect 100% reliability. That these guns are problematic is recognized over on the Beretta forums. Personally, the four or five I've shot over the years have all been jam-o-matics. YMMV

Are you referring to 21a Bobcats or what's posted here? Different guns

Posts: 3078 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK - great post! Only on the Sigforum do we have this level of member expertise.

I had a Beretta tip up barrel in .22LR decades ago. Can't recall the model. As posted by clayflingythingy and savoy6, it was undependable with any .22LR ammo. Still, a lot of fun at the range and very accurate.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Can't say I've even seen a semi auto 22 short, neat little pistol.

I have its Taurus 22lr tip-bbl cousin, but have yet to get a chance to shoot it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15261 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:

Are you referring to 21a Bobcats or what's posted here? Different guns

All tip up Beretta's with the exception of the 380. 950s, 21s, and Tomcat. All have been jam-o-matics for me.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've got a .22 Short 950 Minx. It has a threaded barrel with a little faux suppressor.
I sent it for repairs for jamming probably 25 years ago.
I haven't shot it since I tested it after the 'repair' was done, but if I remember correctly it still jammed.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I never understood why Beretta didn’t incorporate an extractor into these otherwise excellent little pocket pistols. The only flaw with my Bobcat is it’s frequent enough fails to extract that I will never allow its use for anything but as a range toy. No ammo type has ever alleviated the issue 100%.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post