SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P-210 Target Extraction Problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P-210 Target Extraction Problems Login/Join 
posted
Purchased my Sig P-210 Target in February 2021, and have over 600 rounds through it. I like the gun, but the extraction failure rate is about 2%. This would preclude its use as a defensive weapon, although that is not why it was purchased. It also disqualifies its use for competition, which was my primary reason for it. One feed extraction failure every 50 rounds is too much for me.
The rounds are partially extracted (pulled back about 0.2" or so from the chamber), but not anywhere far enough to hit the ejector. Then the slide tries to strip a fresh round from the magazine, but cannot do anything with it due to the fired catridge case still partially in the chamber. Ammo brands, types not the issue. My guess is that the extractor tension is not enough, or the extractor's claw profile is poor. Another possibility is that the chamber is rough, but cartridge feeding is not a problem. Has anyone experience this issue with the new American made P-210?

Posts: 4 | Registered: March 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I have two P210A Targets. Neither has malfunctioned since new.

My recommendation? Lubricate very well. Then go shoot it with a box of 124 grain stuff that's plenty "hot" like 9mm NATO or self defense 124 grain plus P.

What you are describing seems to me like the slide is short stroking. The "usual" culprit is underpowered ammo.

What ammo have you tested it with? And what bullet weights?

If the extractor claw is hooked over the case rim when chambered, and the extractor claw does not slip off the case rim during the extraction cycle, then if the slide doesn't go rearward far enough
for the ejector to hit the case head and pop it out the ejection port, it likely isn't an extractor problem.

Seriously, try more powerful ammo.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1531 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I haven't had many rounds through mine, and it's been a while since I shot it, but I don't recall any FTEs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Try your own reloads. Up the power just a bit and try that, too. I don't have any American made ones. Over the years I have had Swiss and West German ones. I prefer 147 grain loads, but have never had a problem with 115.

The hotter and heavier loadings seem to work very well. So try them, too. If you're stuck using 115 factory junk, you have my sympathy. Remember these are tough times, and manufacturers have sort of taken the position that you should accept their junk and be happy to have it. These aren't the good old days.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pardon my belated reply to all posts, but as I indicated ammo does not seem to be the culprit, i.e. have used SIG V-Crown Elite, etc. Furthermore, this is a target gun, and should run with Federal, Winchester and other ball ammo. Do not think the gun is "short stroking", as the slide goes back far enough to strip another round from the magazine. The problem is that the fired round is still partially in the chamber having been pulled back only a third of an inch or so. The extractor is clearly not holding onto the case rim long enough to allow the case to hit the ejector.

Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Only thing not stated above is are you limp wristing the gun? That is one major cause of short stroking. If the problem persists call Sig and get a call tag for warranty repair.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
A guy I shoot with every week shoots one of those and he's never had the slightest problem with it.

He shoots nothing but reloads.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With regard to p08's comment about "limp wristing" I am fully aware of the issue, but feel that it is not the issue. We may be arguing semantics, but if a gun is short stroking, the slide is not moving back far enough to pick up a fresh round from the magazine. This is not what is happening, as I have explained. The fired cartridge case is pull back by the extractor perhaps a third of an inch, the extractor then lets go prematurely, and the slide then continues back far enough to strip a fresh round from the magazine. I do agree with p08 that contacting SIG for an RMA is probably where I need to go.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the extractor tension is ever so slightly less than what it needs to be then. I’d have Sig look at it too. It’s a $1500 gun and should need no break in other than maybe a box of 124 gr. at first. Since ammo isn’t seemingly a culprit, it’s either you or the gun. I don’t really buy into the whole limp wristing thing as much as I used to. I’ve seen many many guns be reliably fired with loose and or limited grips. Some designs may be more prone to it, though any gun worth it’s weight in salt should not choke if it’s slightly gripped less tightly than normal.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Besides which: The P210A is a fairly large, fairly heavy pistol, with a substantial grip (if the OP hasn't swapped them out). I should think it would be difficult to limp-wrist it?

LB1911A1, I presume you've checked carefully that there isn't a bit of crud under the extractor?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LB1911A1:
With regard to p08's comment about "limp wristing" I am fully aware of the issue, but feel that it is not the issue. We may be arguing semantics, but if a gun is short stroking, the slide is not moving back far enough to pick up a fresh round from the magazine. This is not what is happening, as I have explained. The fired cartridge case is pull back by the extractor perhaps a third of an inch, the extractor then lets go prematurely, and the slide then continues back far enough to strip a fresh round from the magazine. I do agree with p08 that contacting SIG for an RMA is probably where I need to go.

Missed the part of it trying to feed a new round. Either the extractor/extractor spring are probably bad. When you look at the fired brass does it have any marks on the body?

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P08: We are in agreement on the extractor or spring being the problem. If this were happening with a 1911, I would retention the extractor or perhaps play with its profile. Although I could probably remove the P-210 extractor and spring easily enough as I have an assortment of pin punches, etc., why not just send it back to SIG and let them sort it. I appreciate the comments of all who posted on this issue.