SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P220 Polymer Slim Grips - fit issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P220 Polymer Slim Grips - fit issues Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I bought these to put on my stainless P220. These grips are made for that gun. I don't care for the Hogue rubber grips. And I wanted some slimmer, plastic, Sig logo'd grips.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store...lim-fit-2-piece.html

These grips are a travesty.

They go into place alright, but the screw holes in the grip panels are so misaligned with the screw holes and the frame that you simply cannot install them. They are so far off that it would be impossible to open up the hole a bit with a rat-tail file without causing a huge gap next to the screw.

Not sure who made these grips for Sig, but they are garbage. Total rubbish. Avoid if you ever had the inclination to buy some.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Did you contact SIG CS and let them know the out of spec crap they sell?

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

I wrote a scathing review on their website. I'll see if they publish it or if they contact me first.

On top of that, once the grips were seated properly (and anyone who has put a grip on the left side of a Sig with a decocker knows what I am talking about), the rear of the grips did not meet together properly, not only leaving the sharp edge of one sticking out further than the other, but leaving a gap between them so you could see in and see the mainspring.

Did I mention these grips suck?

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

I wrote a scathing review on their website. I'll see if they publish it or if they contact me first...

First thing, if I find out the parts don't work, is to pick up the phone or email them. Why the hell would I play the passive aggressive game with negative review and wait to see if they will contact me? What if they don't post the review and don't contact me? That means I just wasted all the valuable time for nothing.

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Wasted time? They were already closed when I tried to install the darned things. I couldn't have done anything until tomorrow anyway.

And so what if they don't post the review or contact me. Then I'll contact them. Nothing's lost.

As far as being passive aggressive - they ask for reviews, and when a company does that, they run the risk of getting poor ones. Don't want to risk getting poor reviews? Then don't solicit reviews. There's nothing passive aggressive about that. I've articulated my complaint on their system. Any company worth its own weight in dog shit follows up on poor reviews. We'll see if they do.

As far as posting here, this is a Sig enthusiast site. Should I keep the fact that these grips suck a secret so someone here buys them?

And what if they tell me to send them back for a full refund? Does that diminish the fact that the grips are defective? Do the grips earn a good review if they suck but I get my money back?

The grips suck and are defective. I told Sig thru their solicited review system and I posted it here. If they do nothing of their own volition in the next day or so, then I will contact them. If they resolve my issues, I'll applaud that as publicly. But in the meantime, I've played fairly. Your route may differ, but is no more right.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
We've seen these grips on other P220 pistols from the factory. I don't recall ever seeing them on a stainless model, if yours is a P220ST? There are other Customer reviews of them and, that site does tell which guns with which main spring seat they fit. Heck, I've had wood Hogues which did not fit well and tried to return them. Crickets. I bet Sig will make good on taking them back for you. I for one love the rubber, pebble finish Hogues, non finger grooved, for the P220ST guns. Comfortable, recoil absorbing and excellent grip for a defense gun.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Just return them.
I bought a pair of P220 slim grips not that long ago and they were perfect.
The grip vendors fault, not Sig.

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of the slim 220 grips some time ago. I intended them for a 1995 production 220, and half expected they might not fit well due to slight dimensional changes in 220 frames that may have occurred since my gun was manufactured. No issues though, screw holes aligned properly, back seam fit together like it should,etc. I would think that they would fit your later gun, more contemporaneous with the grips, at least as well. But since they don't, maybe that particular pair is out of spec. Perhaps just return them for a refund?

FWIW, I've returned grips, most recently Hogue P220 grips(bland wood), Ruger Blackhawk grips(ivory-like material/broke when installing first time), and SIG P220 aftermarket wood grips from Brownells(wouldn't go on the frame at all). All three refunded the purchase price without issue. Surely SIG would do as much for you...

I should add, I'm not mad at any of those entities, and would order from any of them again.

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which mainspring seat does your 220 have?

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
I don't see a reason to put Sig on blast until they've had the chance to rectify the situation. sometimes things happen and you shouldn't get all bent out of shape unless they don't make it right.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
It's a P220ST. And it has the newer plastic mainspring seat. So this is the pistol these grips are intended for.

I've swapped grips among my P220 Nitron, P220 Stainless Elite, P220 Carry, P220 Carry Equinox and this particular P220ST without trouble. This pistol has worn slim grips that came off other pistols without issue. Right now, this is the only P220 I own. I always liked the slim grips so I wanted some for this gun.

Don't get me wrong. My issue isn't with Sig. It's with these grips. They are so far out of spec that I am surprised they made it into their store. I'd recommend Sig pistols to anyone. But these grips seem like they are made for something entirely different.

Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
I have the slim grips on my P220 ST but mine is the earlier model with the SIG proprietary "rail."

I have over the years noticed when changing grips on my SIGs that more than once I thought the same thing about grips that didn't seem to line up but found that they needed to be removed and re-set and they were properly lined up then...hope that helps...and good luck

fullsizeoutput_42 by wlegg206, on Flickr

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Just return them.
I bought a pair of P220 slim grips not that long ago and they were perfect.
The grip vendors fault, not Sig.

Agreed. Call them, send them back. Post a review if you like, but contact them directly about return or replacement with another option.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
This is what I was met with with the panels mounted as solidly as they could be set.

With hard pushing I could get about 1/2 of the hole/frame overlap to disappear. So with some extremely careful sanding of the inner surfaces of the panels, and some thinning of the back rib structure that kept the panels from seating any farther forward, but still leaving enough there so the grips would not interfere with the main spring, this is what I ended up with, and I still had to put pressure on them for the holes to line up:

They work now, look good, and mesh properly in the back. But no way they should have been that far out of whack.

Since they now fit and I like the feel, I've modified my thread title.

Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Did SIG possibly make a recent change to the P220 Stainless frame like they did to the P226 Stainless frame???

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
That wasn't the issue. It appears the major issue was that the grip panels were warped, and that the inside grip frame structure that seats against the backside of the pistol frame was too thick, warped, or otherwise out of spec.
That prevented the grip panels from seating far enough forward on the frame. Putting a lot of pressure on the grip panels almost made them fit, which, to me, signifies a warped grip panel. Shaving the inside panel ribs down let it seat farther forward so that all that pressure would make it fit.

This is as far forward as they would seat. You can see a big gap between the panels and the pistol frame that should not be there.

This is the inside structure that I had to thin. And you have to be careful. Some of the structure inside the grip nearly touches the mainspring already. Thin it too much it seems there would be a risk of interfering with the mainspring.