SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Odd P229 Elite two tone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd P229 Elite two tone Login/Join 
Picture of vit
posted
Picked this up today at a show. Got it home and started doing some research on my new toy... I can't find anything, not even an image of one just like it. Is it a distributor special? What do I have?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vit,

Posts: 318 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
That slide clearly not Legacy.

Q

Posts: 26412 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t pretend to know all the plethora of variants. But I thought “Legacy” indicated the original P229 half height serrations. Does the serial on the frame there match the box? Not saying it’s not a factory pistol or distributor special, but I wouldn’t rule out frankengun.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If it were a FrankenSIG from factory, then they should not have put "LGCY" in the Part Number.

Q

Posts: 26412 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I suspect it's aftermarket FrankenSIG, based on the detailed description below the Part Number. It says "blk", which means a black gun. Here, OP's gun is a 2-tone. Looks like someone kept the Legacy slide and swapped in a long external extractor slide? Just throwing out a guess.

Q

posted Hide Post
I might be wrong but don't Legacy slides have the short extractor with the original P229 slide?

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Somebody swapped slides on it. Still a nice gun.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one has been sticking in my craw. So the slide says Elite. And the Stainless Elite had a beaver tail on the frame, plus the frame was stainless instead of aluminum alloy. So I’m guessing the previous owner wanted a beaver tail with legacy slide (or just wanted a reverse two-tone) so he swapped slides on frames. The grips are also unknown to me. Having the medallion leads me to believe Hogue, I just don’t recognize them (not that I know a lot of grips).

I’m sure the pistol will shoot great. Let us know when you have a chance to take it out.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
You have a very nice looking P229, with very interesting grips. I can't help identify it, but I think you will enjoy a fine pistol!

Posts: 791 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is the beauty of Sigs. You can swap slides/frames, of the appropriate size/design, and have many configurations.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
vit, I don't pretend to know all the possible SIG variations, but I have a 9MM P229 with a serial number close to yours. I bought mine new within the last couple of years. It is labeled P229 Classic Carry model. The slide is marked, "Elite", but it has the half height slide serrations and short extractor. It came with the G-10 grips shown. I wonder if yours was originally in the same configuration?

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your pistol is the result of someone taking two different P229's and mixing / matching the parts. Specifically the P229 Classic Carry and the Gander Outdoors specific version of the P229 ASE. Sig's with those grips were unique to them. For example:

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com...%2Fsemi-auto-pistols

You have the case, mags, and frame from the P229 Classic Carry. Also the unique grips from the ASE. Someone else, if they've kept all the other stuff together, has a reverse two-tone with P229 ASE frame, the unique Classic Carry grips, and the black legacy slide with short extractor.

Note they also had to swap the locking insert between both as the P229 Classic Carry uses a P228/P229(9) barrel while the P229 ASE uses a P229-1 barrel. The locking insert is specific to the type of slide/barrel being used.

Posts: 353 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vit
posted Hide Post
Yes, the barrel is marked 229-1

Posts: 318 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Note that the frame you have from the Classic Carry normally ships with 13 round magazines as it has the narrower P228/P229 legacy sized magazine well. For that frame size Mec-Gar offers 15 round flush fit and 18 round extended magazines. Great mags, I use those in my Classic Carry.

Posts: 353 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vit
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the info, thank you.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
In any event, you have an interesting & unique pistol. Enjoy!

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the pistol. It is a SIG and you made the correct decision.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vit
posted Hide Post
I might just replace the grips with something a bit more traditional. Are the grips same for all 229s or do I have to get something specific that fits this frame?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Same.

Q

Picture of vit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^^ Same.

Classic Carry is the same?