SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question on Selling / shipping handgun parts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Selling / shipping handgun parts Login/Join 
posted
I sold a P226 slide and barrel (no lower frame - just slide and barrel) to a forum member in TX (I am in IA) and want to ship it tomorrow. I can just sell it directly without going thru an FFL, cant I?

Can I ship either USPS or UPS without doing anything special?

I have been around here long enough that I thought I knew this. Don’t know why I am 2nd guessing myself.

Thanks

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can ship it direct. In this instance, I would choose USPS. The last couple of times I've shipped via UPS, those bastards have become awfully damn nosy. They want to know exactly what is in the package and you have to sign and in essence, you are attesting to your statement as to the nature of the contents, and I don't like it one Goddamned bit. For electronics or whatever, I'll ship UPS, but because they have become so intrusive when it comes to anything gun-related, I avoid them. Now, my experience with this is shipping via a UPS store, which is a franchise and not actually UPS, so UPS itself may not behave in this way, but I can tell you to a certainty that if you ship via the US Postal Service, they'll just ask their usual question about "Anything dangerous in the package" and that's that.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The only thing required to go through a FFL is the serialized part, that is considered to be the "firearm". Normally the frame.

For stuff like what you want to ship without human interaction, go to a US Post Office that has the self serve machine. You'll see a rack of freebies next to it: Priority mail envelopes and boxes, labels etc.

I'd select the smallest flat rate box, and that will cost you about $10.20 IIRC.

You'll need your credit card. Walk up to the self serve machine, look at the touch screen, use it. You'll be prompted to hold up the box/envelope (whichever you're using) to the scanner. Then you'll just answer and fill in the blanks for address etc etc etc. When done, it will print out the label and receipt. Slap on the shipping label and drop the package into the bin for outgoing.

I use this a lot. Around here the post office is open 24/7 (not the lobby where you go into and stand in line and deal with some grumpy surly postal worker with the attitude).

Every time I go and do this, I grab replacement boxes and envelopes to take home with me. I pad and pack, tape up, etc, any shipment as needed then take it to the post office.

I tend to do this during off hours, such as late evening or very early in the morning, I avoid the herd of customers..

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drop off at a regular UPS center; no questions from them there though I've heard that at least some company locations DO get intrusive and nosy. It may depend upon where those are located.

However now that WA is one of THOSE states...oh, bother...guess I'll find out the next time I drop something off.

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
To ship parts and slides just use USPS you can get the boxes for free and either drop it off or do it online

As for a regulated serial numbered frame UPS or FedEx . Ask the FFL you are shipping to. FedEx has been wanting the label to be generated by the FFL and emailed to the customer

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Another option is to open an account with UPS and print your shipping label and take your package to a UPS drop off location. For me there are 2 drop off boxes and a CVS near by.
There is a limit on size at the drop off boxes, Not sure about that at CVS.

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'd stick with the US postal service Priority Mail and tracking... pretty simple and easy... if the person you sold it to is amenable I'd do the signature required... less likely for the letter carrier to leave it at the wrong place.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYA, I believe under USPS policy gun parts need to be shipped ground.

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Always pay for tracking if its of any value! I shipped a firearm to a dealer in Florida via USPS and it went to Puerto Rico Eek That was a fun experience.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7001 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Main UPS hub near me never asks anything, but I print my labels ahead of time and just drop them off.

I used to go to the Fedex/Kinkos and the 3rd party UPS stores and they are very intrusive with their questions.

I agree with others either go to actual UPS hub if you have one near you or just throw it in a flat rate box and send it out.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post