SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which barrel: chrome phospate or nitride?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which barrel: chrome phospate or nitride? Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking to get a threaded barrel for a P226 Legion. What do I need to consider when choosing between the chrome phosphate and nitride versions?

Happiness is a warm gun.

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
The difference is 70 years of innovation.

Chrome is non-wettable, so it cleans well and protects against rust. Phosphate aka Parkerized finishes have a large surface area to hold oils and greases for rust protection. Dry the properties are not so great.

Nitriding is a chemical surface transformation that protects against rust and abrasion. It is easier to maintain than the above system and protect the barrel better

The systems have no effect on precision. Chromed phosphated barrels were only used by the US Army. The rest of the world uses nitrided barrels.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
The difference is 70 years of innovation.

Chrome is non-wettable, so it cleans well and protects against rust. Phosphate aka Parkerized finishes have a large surface area to hold oils and greases for rust protection. Dry the properties are not so great.

Nitriding is a chemical surface transformation that protects against rust and abrasion. It is easier to maintain than the above system and protect the barrel better

The systems have no effect on precision. Chromed phosphated barrels were only used by the US Army. The rest of the world uses nitrided barrels.
Thank you for some good information.I was under the impression that AK-47 rifles also had chrome lined bores.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I have several SIGs (P226 Legion and some P320s) with DLC coating on the barrels and I am really impressed with this finish.

Looking at SIGs website, it does not appear that this coating is currently available on replacement barrels.

For what it's worth, chrome lined phosphated barrels are what the MK25 use. It's a mil-spec finish but the phosphate shows wear pretty quickly.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAR:
Looking at SIGs website, it does not appear that this coating is currently available on replacement barrels.

As was pointed out in another thread, 'Nitron is DLC (applied by Ionbond)'. The fact that SIG is now selling Pistols (Classic P-series, P320, P365, etc) w/ Barrels designated as Nitron coated, AND replacement Barrels designated the same, when previously those Barrels were designated DLC is most likely just a marketing decision.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post