SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Striker Malfunction Question (Theoretical)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Striker Malfunction Question (Theoretical) Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I gravitated away from strikers several years ago for my own reasons that have nothing to do with platform A is better or worse then platform B. That said one reason is I don’t generally like pulling a trigger to take down. I still shoot Glocks, etc. but in general I don’t like that manner of take down.

All that said with the vast majority of striker fired pistols requiring a striker drop to disassemble them, how do you take them apart in the event something/foreign debris etc. prevents you from pulling the trigger or locking the striker up in its channel? This isn’t a specific reason I prefer a different take down method but I am bored like everybody else and just got to thinking.

Would you remove the end plate while the slide is on the frame???

I find it’s good to know how things break and how to fix them before I inevitability cock them up and although my go to is a ball peen hammer and the philosophy of “If it jams, force it, if it breaks you needed a new one anyway.” I still like to occasionally know the proper way to deal with things. Smile

Take care shoot safe.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are correct, Glock teaches exactly that in their Armorer’s class. Remove the slide cover plate and “break” the engagement between the firing pin lug and drop safety ledge.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chris,

How the problem is handled would depend on the nature of the malfunction. If something is blocking the trigger, but the slide may still be retracted aft, then removal of the back plate and removal of the striker may be an option.

Removal of the assembly pins to allow freedom of movement of the trigger and other components may also be an option. Both of these choices assumes that the chamber is empty, of course.

The Sig P320 and P265 do not require a trigger press to remove the slide.

I've never considered a trigger press to remove a Glock slide to be an issue. Remove the magazine, clear the chamber, and dry fire the pistol in a safe direction. Then remove per normal. Done.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

quote:
I've never considered a trigger press to remove a Glock slide to be an issue. Remove the magazine, clear the chamber, and dry fire the pistol in a safe direction. Then remove per normal. Done.

It’s not that I find it a real issue as much as a preference. I have also never cared for the little take down “nubs”. Like I said I happily shoot Glocks, I mean I have like 5 and half of them. Smile. My PPS is sort of my better half Glock. Razz, and well pretty much EVERYTHING. I just prefer DA/SA for my go to guns, again not because they are better or I am right and somebody else is wrong just due to specific preferences.

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Thanks all.

quote:

It’s not that I find it a real issue as much as a preference. I have also never cared for the little take down “nubs”. Like I said I happily shoot Glocks, I mean I have like 5 and half of them. Smile. My PPS is sort of my better half Glock. Razz, and well pretty much EVERYTHING. I just prefer DA/SA for my go to guns, again not because they are better or I am right and somebody else is wrong just due to specific preferences.

Easy fixes both.

1) The "takedown nubs" are the slide lock lever.
Switch out the Glock part for a Walther-type extended lever.
Del-Tac is the one I use.
Trapezoidal in shape like a Walther and the first thing I change on a Glock.

2) Get a P320.
No need to drop the striker to field strip.

I'll trade you my problems for your problems.
Smile

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I dry fire practice with my guns all the time so simply pulling the trigger for take down is a non issue for me. Drop mag, check chamber, hammer (striker) down, and take apart.
I guess if you are so staunch in your gun handling that you only touch the trigger when firing at a target it may feel weird.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sw4566:
You are correct, Glock teaches exactly that in their Armorer’s class. Remove the slide cover plate and “break” the engagement between the firing pin lug and drop safety ledge.

This.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Guys I don’t have a paranoia issue with “Glock etc.” take down. I dryfire quite a bit. All guns have mag dropped / chamber checked before takedown etc.

You don’t have to sell me. I have and shoot SEVERAL Glocks/strikers and have experience with the vast majority of strikers Barring the P365, APX and 43x/48. Hell Glocks were my go to for MANY years and I still have a hot Gen 5 G19 at arms reach.

Like I said it’s simply a preference thing. I prefer to drive Honda’s. Doesn’t mean I can’t drive or won’t drive a Ford. I feel like I walked into a room of friends who have decided to have an intervention. Smile

I was just curious about what came to mind as a possible failure mode.

posted Hide Post
quote:
dry fire practice with my guns all the time so simply pulling the trigger for take down is a non issue for me

OK but when you study ND's you find that the majority of Glock ND's are from this very characteristic. Which is why lots of more modern designs don't require you to do it. To cslinger when it gets exciting is when there is a round in the chamber and its locked up.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
dry fire practice with my guns all the time so simply pulling the trigger for take down is a non issue for me

OK but when you study ND's you find that the majority of Glock ND's are from this very characteristic. Which is why lots of more modern designs don't require you to do it. To cslinger when it gets exciting is when there is a round in the chamber and its locked up.

Ah, statistics. Ok then. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:

Curiosity question:

How does one do this if one can't pull the trigger to remove the slide? How does one get the cover plate off if one can't get to the striker channel to remove pressure from the cover plate?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get the cover off no matter the position of the striker as an emergency issue.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a Beretta APX or Nano. They have a striker deactivator pin.

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:

Curiosity question:

How does one do this if one can't pull the trigger to remove the slide? How does one get the cover plate off if one can't get to the striker channel to remove pressure from the cover plate?

Skip to about the 2:00 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8mnnI_gBM4

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post