SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Winchester "Service Grade" 9mm ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester "Service Grade" 9mm ammo Login/Join 
posted
Just got an email from a company offering this ammo. What exactly does "Service Grade" mean? It doesn't say Plus P anywhere that I can see. The ammo is packaged in brown 50 rd boxes and bullet weight is 115 grain.
Not sure if it was allowed to mention the company name in a post referring to an advertisement. I'll be glad to pass on that info if permitted. Thank you.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’ve had some of the same-branded ammo in .45 ACP. To me, it was more or less the same as any other typical 230-grain, standard-pressure, FMJ brass-cased round of that caliber, and I suspect the 9mm would be the same in 115-grain.

Supposedly the ammo is loaded to (paraphrasing the ‘Net here) at or near original military specifications.

Perhaps there is some significant difference between this ammo and, say, Winchester “White Box” rounds, but I suspect any differences would be minor.

If the deal on it looked good, I’d go for it, myself.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Winchester "Service Grade" 9mm ammo

What is Winchester 9mm service grade?

Service Grade Features

Winchester 9mm Service Grade ammunition is Winchester's newest addition to their line of Made in USA range and target shooting ammo. This new round features a full metal jacket, 115 grain bullet, loaded in brass cases, making it highly reloadable

Posts: 23379 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Some sources are publishing a muzzle velocity of 1190 fps w/ 362 ft lbs. of energy (the same as white box) for the 115 gr. while others list a muzzle velocity ~1300 fps. For comparison, the 124 gr. NATO round has a reported muzzle velocity of 1200 fps.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
What is Winchester 9mm service grade?

Marketing.........................

Now off to the ammo section you go..........

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Just got an email from a company offering this ammo. What exactly does "Service Grade" mean? It doesn't say Plus P anywhere that I can see. The ammo is packaged in brown 50 rd boxes and bullet weight is 115 grain.
Not sure if it was allowed to mention the company name in a post referring to an advertisement. I'll be glad to pass on that info if permitted. Thank you.

If it is being marketed as “SERVICE GRADE” it’s just a gimmick. I’ve shot tons of the .45 ACP DUTY GRADE and it was honestly no different the WWB 230 grain FMJ load.

If it’s the M1152 ammo that is the current issued FMJ loading for the military; 115 FMJ FP traveling at ~1,300 FPS (give or take a bad day at Winchester QC/QA). I personally like this round, however, I will not supply a steady diet of it to my pistols. I would say it like the old Winchester Ranger 115 +P+ round with maybe another half a +. I don’t remember the cup pressures but they were all in spec for what he MHS trials required.

If it’s Q4132 that would be Winchesters designation for their 124 grain 9MM NATO round. Of course, quite a few things have changed over the years with that round. I really miss the Ranger 124 NATO. That was the best stuff I shot.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
All I know is what I read on the Internet (plus my guesses, of course), but if the claimed muzzle velocity of 1190 fps is correct, that’s hotter than the velocities I’ve measured for other 115 grain FMJ loads. It does have the same flat point bullet of the “Active Duty” M1152 115 grain FMJ load, but it is significantly milder than the latter whose average velocity I’ve measured from a full size P320 at 1370+ fps.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It looks like WWB in a different-colored box. WBB? Razz

If feasible, try and compare the velocity ratings between WWB and WBB, which should be listed on the box. That might give you some idea of what pressure it is loaded to.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davidjinks:
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:

If it is being marketed as “SERVICE GRADE” it’s just a gimmick. I’ve shot tons of the .45 ACP DUTY GRADE and it was honestly no different the WWB 230 grain FMJ load.

If it’s the M1152 ammo that is the current issued FMJ loading for the military; 115 FMJ FP traveling at ~1,300 FPS (give or take a bad day at Winchester QC/QA). I personally like this round, however, I will not supply a steady diet of it to my pistols. I would say it like the old Winchester Ranger 115 +P+ round with maybe another half a +. I don’t remember the cup pressures but they were all in spec for what he MHS trials required.

If it’s Q4132 that would be Winchesters designation for their 124 grain 9MM NATO round. Of course, quite a few things have changed over the years with that round. I really miss the Ranger 124 NATO. That was the best stuff I shot.

Isn’t q4318 Winchester’s nato ammo. 124 gr fmj

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueinterceptor:
Isn’t q4318 Winchester’s nato ammo. 124 gr fmj

So they say. But that load is not particularly hot: From a 4.4" P226 I measured an average of 1130-1160 fps which was not much hotter than the Blaser aluminum 124 grain load at 1115 fps.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’m about to order some Ranger 9mm NATO FMJ and the part number is RA9124N

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8010 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post