SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you were going to a Glock 17 (Gen 5), what would be your buy once/cry once carry setup?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were going to a Glock 17 (Gen 5), what would be your buy once/cry once carry setup? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Sometime soon I’ll be issued a G17 with TRL-1 at work. Finally getting rid of this awful M&P.

I’m trying to sort out a concealment holster (with light) and mag carrier.

My issue is I’ve generally carried guns without lights. Not sure how often I’ll actually carry it when I’m off, but I’d rather buy quality to begin with. Usually I just use an old knife sheath for my mag when I’m off, but I don’t have any that fit the 17 mag very well.

My normal off duty guns are a Glock 19 and a Sig P365. I’ve got Leather and kydex, but feel like kydex is easier to maintain. Would probably carry it at 4 o’clock. IWB is probably my best choice, but a high ride OWB might work with the right clothing.

Suggestions oh wise ones?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
A Shadow Systems DS920 Glock of course.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Sometime soon I’ll be issued a G17 with TRL-1 at work. Finally getting rid of this awful M&P.

I’m trying to sort out a concealment holster (with light) and mag carrier.

My issue is I’ve generally carried guns without lights. Not sure how often I’ll actually carry it when I’m off, but I’d rather buy quality to begin with. Usually I just use an old knife sheath for my mag when I’m off, but I don’t have any that fit the 17 mag very well.

My normal off duty guns are a Glock 19 and a Sig P365. I’ve got Leather and kydex, but feel like kydex is easier to maintain. Would probably carry it at 4 o’clock. IWB is probably my best choice, but a high ride OWB might work with the right clothing.

Suggestions oh wise ones?
I was in Lawman's today and they have a bunch of new .40 ammo they are selling as pre-owned. It was ordered by and sold to CMPD, but by the time it arrived CMPD had begun switching to 9mm. So they returned it or Lawman's bought it back.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
A Shadow Systems DS920 Glock of course.
Why respond if you're not going to answer the man's question? Of what use is your response?

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IWB with a G-17 and a TLR?
Big set up, and I dont know how comfortable it's going to be, but it can be done.
(Side note- You'll like the light! Especially if you work at night Wink )

https://www.tacticalholsters.c...ory/concealed-carry/

https://www.refactortactical.c...?variant=42786540948

I'd look at the OWB holsters.

https://blackpointtactical.com/shop/light-mounted/

https://blackpointtactical.com/shop/lwlm/

Mag pouches?
There's probably a thousand out there.
Nylon, Kydex, Neoprene, Leather...

So far, I'm liking my 511 mag pouch.
https://www.511tactical.com/pi...tiondefault_products

or

https://www.511tactical.com/fl...tiondefault_products

Off duty? I'd stick with the G-19 with a G-19 mag in it, and a G-17 mag for a spare mag.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
For a buy-once-cry-once scenario for IWB carry - if you opted to go leather vs. Kydex, that is - I’d see if Milt Sparks can build their VM-2 to accommodate your Glock with the light mounted; I’m not 100% certain they can, but it would be worth a call to them. I’ve found them to be often very accommodating with special requests.

For a spare magazine pouch to match, I’d say their S4C single mag pouch (or two of same) or their D4C double. They also offer a single IWB pouch, the IPD.

Sparks will, of course, craft you a matching belt if desired.

Going back to the holster a moment - there is also an outfit called HBE Leatherworks that may have some good holster options that would include WML fitments.

I hope this helps and happy hunting for THE right setup!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’m using a Werkz IWB holster with my Glock 45 and TLR-7 and rmr for off duty carry and a Pitbull Universal Mag holder for a spare mag.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
I've had a lot of holsters over the years, but Tenicor is a step above the others for me.

They also make both IWB and OWB magazine carriers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bryanZ06,

Posts: 1009 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not carried a full size glock but I like Vedder holsters. For the OWB I purchased the pancake extended belt loops and it made the holster more comfortable and a lot easier to slide on the belt.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll second this.

A good friend of mine carries his issued G17 with RMR & X300 in one while plainclothes and conceals surprisingly well for an OWB.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Without light, I've found Comptac Infidel Ultra Max and eV2 Max to be most comfortable. I like the leather backing w/ front kydex.

With light, Tenicor works pretty well. Not all day comfortable for me but works okay for IWB light holster. The Tenicor is more flexible with light models than the Vedder which only accepted a single light model. I haven't tried other holsters that accommodate lights.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine the bulk of a full-size pistol such as the G17 could possibly be comfortably carried in an IWB holster--particularly with a light.

I know people do it, but I've found even "compact" pistols, such as my P239 SAS and my EMP, to become uncomfortable after not very long, carried IWB.

For my money: The best compromise I've found between comfort and concealment have been Baker-style OWB holsters, such as my Milt Sparks I-BAK (they don't list it anymore) or my Galco Combat Master.

So I think I'd be looking at a Milt Sparks #60TK (similar to the I-BAK) or R. Grizzle CB (Countryboy).

If you want quick-on/quick-off: Milt Sparks Axiom or R. Grizzle GS2 (Georgia Snap 2).

I don't know if any of those can be made for a pistol with a light, though.

FWIW: I've generally found leather to be more comfortable than Kydex.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JM Custom Kydex. OWB or IWB. No need to cry; it is good stuff. The same is true of the Tenicor.

I will add the disclaimer that I loathe carrying anything as far to the rear as 0400, with any type of holster, so am not the best-qualified to reply.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I see that you are inquiring in regard to the weapon and the light. For kydex I use Black Rhino for on-duty plainclothes. If you get an OWB it comes with clips to make it IWB.

Again, I know you said with the light but I know that Sparks does a Summer Special II cut for an RMR. I haven't seen them with the light, though.

Black Rhino

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another quality holster company you might want to consider is Bravo Concealment. Their holsters are kydex, OWB & IWB, with or without a light. I have one of their OWB w/o light for a Gen4 17 and I have been very happy with it.

Posts: 192 | Registered: June 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could try the floodlight from PHLSTER. It'll do IWB with your TLR-1.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I picked up an LAS holster for a G19 and X300 combo. It’s been good for a few hours and even in the car. If you can deal with the extra grip length it’s worth a try. Decent sales and I think 10-8 performances has a code for a discount.

The only bad for me is because the X300 sticks past the muzzle of the G19, the holster is not square at the bottom. The G17 and G19 and TRL is squared off and would spread the pressure out more over your hip.

For no light, I stick with a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. I’ve got one on order for a G19 with RMR as well.

https://lasconcealment.com/col...ts/products/saya-2-0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CRQWID3fA8A

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm generally fond of Tenicor's offerings for WML equipped holsters and I own several. I also have a Tier 1 Concealed MSP Pro Series holster that is technically "universal" so long as you have the light that the holster is made for (TLR-1) is an option. I dig the MSP, especially as compared to the PHLster Floodlight that I think is bulkier, not as well molded, and harder to conceal as well as don/doff. For OWB "concealed", I use Raven Peruns because they are cheap and pretty low profile. I do very little OWB anymore so when I need to, the standards are pretty low.

Enjoy the new heater.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the options.

I’ve had a light on my S&W for a few years, but haven’t really been satisfied with the holster I used, too much room around the trigger opening due to the holster’s opening for the light. But I rarely carry it because I despise that gun.

I’ve got good quality holsters for my other guns, but none that fit a light except a cheapo for my G19.

I’ll peruse the suggestions and make a pick!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been running a PHLster floodlight for a comped 19 with an X300u and I've been very happy with it. Your 17 will come out to about the same size. I also modded a Bravo Concealment rig for the same gun by heatgunning the muzzle and sweat guard to accommodate the RDS. Both work, the floodlight has better retention. Both hide the gun and are comfortable for long hours.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post