SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you were going to a Glock 17 (Gen 5), what would be your buy once/cry once carry setup?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were going to a Glock 17 (Gen 5), what would be your buy once/cry once carry setup? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I used to carry my duty G17 with TLR-1HL concealed several years ago, before we were authorized to qualify with smaller personal weapons for plainclothes use. The G17 with TLR-1 was doable IWB, but not great.

The two IWB holsters I used were a Comp-Tac CTAC, and a Raven Concealment Phantom with the added wings and struts with IWB loops. Both were carried at 4:00ish.

Unfortunately, the Raven Phantom is long discontinued, and it looks like the CTAC for the G17 with TLR-1 was also recently discontinued with the introduction of the non-light-bearing-only CTAC 2.0. You might be able to find them on the used market, though.

If I had to buy a new IWB from what's available today, I'd probably go with a JM Custom Kydex IWB3, which is offered for the G17 with TLR-1. I have one for a P320C with TLR-1, and it works fairly well. (It just isn't as comfortable as an IWB whose belt loops are offset to either side of the holster body, like my Phantom or CTAC.)
https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/...lock-Nomad-Poly.html

CTAC:

Phantom with IWB wings:

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
^^ How about an umbrella attachment for that thing? You know, for those really hot summer days.

Soda dispenser, portable nail salon, the possibilites are endless!

Way too much hardware.

Posts: 107227 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Blackpoint Tactical makes a great holster. I thought they were finished better than other's I've owned and the quality of materials was also way above average.
https://blackpointtactical.com/shop/light-mounted/

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I feel like I’ve tried more than an average number of iwb holsters. My favorite, most comfortable holster so far is the Tier 1 appendix carry line. I like the ones that support an extra mag. The two pieces are attached using a piece of flexible cord, and allows everything to flex as you move or bend over. I have one for my 19,43x, and one that works with my 19 or 17 with a Surefire x300 attached. They aren’t cheap, but you can catch a deal on eBay every now and then!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Again, thanks for the options. I ordered an OWB from Blackpoint and a mag holder from JM Customs. Exceedingly difficult to find just a simple mag holder, it seems. Everything has dangly bits or extry holes. Annoying (I’m replacing my own 5.11 mag carrier with one because it’s got too dang much Velcro and straps.)

Also ordered the stuff to give me some more duty/soft-clothes holster options with Safariland’s QLS system. I started a new position at the first of the year that lets me be in 5.11s and a polo 90% of the time. Life changing! But trying to figure out how to carry stuff in a new setup is challenging lol

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I started a new position at the first of the year that lets me be in 5.11s and a polo 90% of the time. Life changing!

Good deal! It's certainly nice not to have to wear the full blown monkey suit every day.

quote:
Exceedingly difficult to find just a simple mag holder, it seems. Everything has dangly bits or extry holes.

Kytex Gear. They're simple, lightweight, low profile, relatively inexpensive, and they work very well.

https://kytexgear.com/product-...02600002288818359375

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
I started a new position at the first of the year that lets me be in 5.11s and a polo 90% of the time. Life changing!

Good deal! It's certainly nice not to have to wear the full blown monkey suit every day.

quote:
Exceedingly difficult to find just a simple mag holder, it seems. Everything has dangly bits or extry holes.

Kytex Gear. They're simple, lightweight, low profile, relatively inexpensive, and they work very well.

https://kytexgear.com/product-...02600002288818359375

Thank you, ordered one to try.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was previously in the same boat with a G22 / TLR-1. We now carry a G45 / TLR-7. I found this guy on eBay and tried it, in part because it was fairly inexpensive. I’m 5’10 / 175 so IWB was a must to conceal. This is now my favorite holster! Super comfortable to me.

I have no idea who this seller is, and not sure if I can post this on this site (please remove if not). But I’ve have great luck with it.

https://ebay.com/usr/phillipsarmsco

Posts: 286 | Location: Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The_Watcher
posted Hide Post
I use a Dark Star Gear AIWB for my Glock with surefire x300. I am not a thin guy and find it all day comfortable. Are you approved for AIWB off duty carry? I print like crazy at 4 o’clock carry. Like bad.

DSG RIGEL HOLSTER

Edit: I see you chose already, good luck with blackpoint!

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post