SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 239 how to tell which version
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 239 how to tell which version Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
Is there a way to look at the handgun's serial number and tell when it was made and what generation model it is?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is of course the famous sigforum serial number list sticky at the top of the forum to give you some help. I don't think the concept of 'generations' really applies to P239's except the SAS ones and there its easy to tell as DAK is pretty obvious, but maybe you really meant other special (like GOTM) models?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
As hrcjon mentions, The GEN2 is only a SAS issue

All SAS pistols no matter what model or generation have a melt job

The original SAS guns (any model) were all Two
Tone, DAK triggers with wood grips and contrast sights.

There was a grip shortage and a small number of original SAS pistols shipped with plastic grips

The GEN 2 SAS pistols could be ordered all nitron or two tone. You could choose between the DAK trigger or a traditional DA/SA trigger. They shipped with the plastic grips and tritium night sights

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As far as I’ve been able to figure out, the frames of P239s having serial numbers with a “U” were made in the U.S. The frame of my 239 without the U in the serial number says it was made in Germany.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:

The original SAS guns (any model) were all Two
Tone, DAK triggers with wood grips and contrast sights.

There was a grip shortage and a small number of original SAS pistols shipped with plastic grips

Mine is one of that small number and as much as I love the look of wood grips, the pistol works so well with my bum right paw that I am loath to do anything about changing that.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post