SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver bug bit again…update with more questions - Colt King Cobra 3”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver bug bit again…update with more questions - Colt King Cobra 3” Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
several months ago, I got a Colt King Cobra 3". I have shot 38sp and 357mgnm and am very happy with it. The grip, the balance, the trigger in both dbbl and Single is great. It feels sooo good in the hand that i chose it over the Python. It carries very well in a leather holster on the belt.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like 92FS, I'm a fan of 3" bbl'd revolvers, especially S&W. My usual carry piece (when I'm not toting a P365) is a Smith M-60 with a 3" tube. I agree that that length makes for a bit more accuracy, but in a steel frame, the combination is a bit heavy for pocket carry...winter parka maybe...but otherwise, no. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love revolvers but 357 Mag ammo has been so damned expensive since Covid that I rarely shoot them any more. It’s still double the price it was before covid. Why? I have no idea.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
So my FFL says they cannot get the 2 inch model for an unknown, possibly indefinite amount of time. He said they are all on back order… I’m considering getting the 3 inch model. Does anyone have any input on carrying that? I prefer to carry appendix, but but at least like some input from people out there who actually carry the gun.

Classic firearms has the 2” carry with the bobbed hammer, the 2” .38 special version and the 3” . The .357s are $840 and the .38 is $650. I paid around a thousand for my 3”.

I’ve bought a few things including guns from them before and they are good to go.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I've had the 3" since they first came out - superb gun. Shot it a lot, carry it often.

If you're wanting the 2", Sportsmans has both the hammer and the bobbed versions in stock currently for 899. They'll ship to your nearest location, assuming you have one.

https://www.sportsmans.com/col...3AinStockFlag%3Atrue

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
My FFL found a 2” for me. Had I known we now have a sportsman’s warehouse find me I would’ve gone there. It’s relatively new in the area.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m gonna say something blasphemous and I completely understand if somebody runs to get a rope but…………I’ve never really liked Colt revolvers. Something about their proportions and the pull to release cylinder. I know, I know. I will put my gun guy card in the mail.

Put your card away or add mine to yours. I had an 6" Anaconda back in the day that was great. I also have a 4" Python (because, well it's a Python) & a Diamondback. Both are very nice revolvers but I very rarely shoot them. The shape of the grip just doesn't fit my hand well at all. Other than being what they are, I have little use for them. Smith round butts (I don't like squares) fit like a warm glove.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a Colt revolver guy either although I do love a Python, the rest not so much. That being said, 3 inch barrels are a good sweet spot. My favorite 357 is 3” and I love it.

Posts: 7508 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I've had one of Colt's new 3" King Cobras for a minute now. I have not shot it much, but so far I really like it. Years ago, I sold off a Ruger SP101 in 3" and I had been kicking myself ever since.....but not anymore. This is a much nicer revolver, with a MUCH better trigger, and not too mention, one more round on tap.

I recently ordered a Dual Slot Field holster for it from Rusty Sherrick. I hope to have it along with a speed strip pouch in less than a week.

At some point I'll probably get an IWB holster for it (probably Kramer...I love horsehide)and then I'll have one sweet little set up for a do anything, general purpose type handgun.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
She just came in...

Now it has it's 10 day wait...

This is going to get carried...

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up a 3" a couple of weeks ago, haven't had the chance to shoot it yet.
I did order a Garrett IWB holster for it and already have a couple of Detective Special speed loaders which seem to work.
Fit, finish, and action are very nice.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 368 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
So, a Tulster holster (with the wing, and VZ grips have really made this pistol amazing. It looks, and feels like some of the old school colt detective specials that had the full shroud for the ejector rod.

I know everyone carries a semi but I’m really enjoying toting this revolver…

Photos to follow…

posted Hide Post
What speedloader does it take? For the old Detective Special?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
What speedloader does it take? For the old Detective Special?

Yes...right now I'm using the Zeta-6 ones.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I got to shoot my Buddy's 3" Python and 3" King Cobra over the weekend....first time ever actually shooting either type. Both were excellent, but I've gotta say I liked the King Cobra better. The weight, balance, and trigger reach were just perfect. Just playing around I put 5 rounds through one small hole and the sixth less than an inch under at about 7 yards. I love my J-Frames, but shooting that Colt made me seriously consider promiscuity!

Posts: 8575 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Here are some pics as she is being carried now...

posted Hide Post
Damn that's a nice looking piece. I think I have to get back into one of these. I had a couple, even the "carry" version with the bobbed hammer and the custom shop worked the trigger. Like an idiot I traded it.
Does anyone have an opinion on the Kimber K6 DASA versus this colt ?

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't own either, but I actually shot both in the past month, both 3" versions.

My take is that the Colt is a nicer gun, but just barely. It looks better, has a better trigger, and the easily-exchanged front sight is a nice feature. The hand and ratchet are very robust, and seem like they would be very durable. The biggest downside for me is the backwards cylinder latch operation and cylinder rotation.

The Kimber is also very nice. It's smooth and shoots very well, and is lighter than it's sort of blocky appearance would lead you to believe. The dovetail-style sights are excellent as well. The only issue I had with it was the trigger has a very small bit of extremely light travel at the very forward part of the stroke, but you have to let it all the way out or it'll short-stroke. My Smiths and Rugers have consistent and relatively heavy rebound all the way to the reset, whereas this Kimber tricks you by having positive rebound pressure right up until the last fraction of an inch, but then there's that lighter bit right at the end that you have to let out as well. You can ride the trigger on a Ruger or a Smith...can't get away with that on the Kimber.

Had I to pick between the two I'd probably go with the Colt, just due to the trigger thing with the Kimber. I think both of them outclass the 3" SP101 I used to own (which was also a great gun), with better sights, better balance, and an extra round in the same size package. I don't think either would replace my J-Frames, as they're kind of a separate class due to their size.

Posts: 8575 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I grew up shooting 38s and always coveted the mighty 357 and finally worked up to buying one... my first gun purchase a Colt Trooper with 6" barrel... dern fun to shoot and 357s in 125 grain were a chore but manageable... then a few years later I picked up a beautiful S&W 19 with 4" barrel. Really did not like shooting those 125 grain rounds in it.... but 38's were fun all day long. That pistol taught me to shoot double action, I grew up cocking the hammer always but the 19 has such a light trigger it was dangerous... then by chance I got a Ruger P95 and switched to semi-autos . So I've never shot a 2 or 3" 357 magnum but can suspect it would not be for me... I could do it but would not want to shoot one more than probably 6 or 12 rounds... then I'd be done.

Oh, and I actually think from experience the 44 magnum is easier to shoot than the 357 magnum. At least in decent length barreled revolvers....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longjohn:
Damn that's a nice looking piece. I think I have to get back into one of these. I had a couple, even the "carry" version with the bobbed hammer and the custom shop worked the trigger. Like an idiot I traded it.

I’m probably going to be the minority opinion here but I own 2 Kimbers and had the 3” Colt and sold the Colt.

The Colt is very nice and has a better trigger pull but I didn’t like the reset on the Colt and found myself short stroking the trigger which seems to be the opposite experience of 92fstech. I’ve not read of anyone else having that issue, so I guess it’s just a me thing, but it happened enough times that it was frustrating to me. I have never short stroked my Kimbers.

The 3” Kimber I bought is the superior carry gun IMO, as it is the TLE model which is matte black, DAO and came with 3-dot night sights (my DA/SA came with regular 3-dot sights, you can buy night sights but I think only the TLE comes with them). Side by side the Kimber is the more natural pointing gun for me and I prefer shooting .357 magnum cartridges through the Kimber over the Colt. I also far prefer the 3-dot sights on both Kimbers over the Colt trench sights.

Surprisingly I liked cylinder release on the Colt. Despite having never fired a Colt before it was a very natural action to me. But I have spent a lot of time shooting Ruger revolvers so the button style on the Kimber is more familiar to me.

Both the 3” Kimber and the Colt fit perfectly in the leather holsters I have for my 3” SP101. My 2” even fits into a kydex holster that I have for a 2” Smith, though it’s a bit snug and so ordered separate holster for the Kimber.

I’m not sure if they make the TLR Kimber still and I don’t see it on their website but it’s my absolute favorite .357 Magnum revolver. Either way though I don’t think you can go wrong as the Colt is a very nice gun and I suspect more people will prefer the Colt to the Kimber.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post