SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver bug bit again…update with more questions - Colt King Cobra 3”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver bug bit again…update with more questions - Colt King Cobra 3” Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
There I was minding my own business and the salesman had to show me a Colt King Cobra Carry model…. I was already thinking of getting a 6-shot revolver for CCW…so fast forward and I sold off some of my stuff I don’t carry and I ordered my first snake gun…

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bcjwriter,

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My buddy bought one of those and loves it. Said it's even better than his 3" Model 60, which he carried for years. I have yet to shoot it, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Posts: 8576 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Nice pickup, the Cobra Carry is a great addition to one's life style.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1560 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad had one, I think, in the early 90s.
I remember a stainless 6shot Colt 357 that wasn't a Python.

He sold it & picked up a 40S&W P229 in 1996 & still has the Sig.
None of us could shoot the Colt well, I remember him attempting to dispatch an armadillo & hwaring multiple shots before it was taken care of.
I was too young to know if it was just hard to shoot or if the sights were off.

He was a bit upset when he sold it for the $400 he had in it & found it was worth nearly $1k.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15335 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, congrats. The newer snake guns are pretty robust,yet have a really nice trigger pull.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Nice, congrats. The newer snake guns are pretty robust,yet have a really nice trigger pull.

I actually intend for this to be a carry gun...you're right on the trigger.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eclayton
posted Hide Post
I have not handled a new King Cobra, but I have two new Pythons and an Anaconda. My impression is that Colt got almost everything right when they started making revolvers again. If I were looking for a compact 6-shot carry revolver, I would probably get one like yours. As it is I am on the lookout for a new .22 King Cobra.

Posts: 312 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
So my FFL says they cannot get the 2 inch model for an unknown, possibly indefinite amount of time. He said they are all on back order… I’m considering getting the 3 inch model. Does anyone have any input on carrying that? I prefer to carry appendix, but but at least like some input from people out there who actually carry the gun.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I had a 3 inch and liked it quite a bit. Wasn't shooting it and one of my buddies wanted it more than I did. Honestly, I kind of regret letting it go.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of a 3" revolver as a belt gun. Good balance, full-length ejector rod, a little better muzzle velocity and a little less muzzle blast, and more sight radius than a 2". The only downside to a 3" is that it's a bit too long for pocket carry.

Full disclosure, I have no experience with the Colt specifically...I have a 3" Model 60.

Posts: 8576 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
So my FFL says they cannot get the 2 inch model for an unknown, possibly indefinite amount of time. He said they are all on back order…

bcjwriter-
My favorite LGS is showing a 2” model in stock.
https://shop.valleyoutdoorswv....nless-kcobra-sb2bb-s

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
quote:
So my FFL says they cannot get the 2 inch model for an unknown, possibly indefinite amount of time. He said they are all on back order…

bcjwriter-

Sadly my FFL already has my money.

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I had one of the new production King Cobra 3" guns and it was nice, but I found a S&W 65 3" and I shot it better than the Colt so I sold it off. Accuracy was good on the Colt, just the Smith was a little better for me.

The only issue I had with the Colt is when clearing the cylinder of spent casings, I would tip the revolver so the barrel is vertical then I would aggressively press on the ejector rod to eject the spent casings. Probably 75% of the time ,it wouldn't fully eject all the casings and I'd have to manually pull one or two of the partially ejected brass. Now before anyone asks the gun was wearing factory grips so it wasn't like an extended grip was in the way of the casing coming full out of the cylinder. Kind of annoying.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I was waiting on a new model King cobra. Along came a Kimber K6S and viola, Love beset me. Nothing sweeter than a Well balanced six gun.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’m gonna say something blasphemous and I completely understand if somebody runs to get a rope but…………I’ve never really liked Colt revolvers. Something about their proportions and the pull to release cylinder. I know, I know. I will put my gun guy card in the mail. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt is making some really nice revolvers.

They are doing a better job than Smith at preserving much of the classic looks of their revolvers while also leveraging modern manufacturing techniques.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Lucked out - my FFL got the 2 inch ordered.

Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
quote:

bcjwriter-

I saw this thread and thought to myself - “Don’t open that, it’s going to cost you”. I’m doing my best to resist sending them my FFL’s info.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
I saw this thread and thought to myself - “Don’t open that, it’s going to cost you”. I’m doing my best to resist sending them my FFL’s info.

BRL-
If you do, I will say that Valley Outdoors is a great LGS and very easy to work with. I drive past their store almost every day, about 28 miles away, in case you need to make personal contact. I’ll gladly help/enable you. Big Grin

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's like the old Magnum Carry with a larger trigger guard.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34122 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post