SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommend a 1911 gunsmith please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a 1911 gunsmith please Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Doesn’t have to be Ted Yost or Jason Burton, I’d prefer not to wait a year for a backlog.

Front strap checkering, top slide checkering, new grip safety installation and blending. Couple other small options.

Found a Garrison commander for 480$ and I couldn’t pass, gonna turn it into a nice little carry gun.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6624 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cylinder & Slide does some nice work. How much it costs with shipping and work done, might negate the price you paid for the gun and how much more you want to invest.

Posts: 7072 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alex Hamilton of 10ring Precision is amazing
Deep River Customs is my "go to" place

"Dyin ain't much of a livin...boy"

Posts: 355 | Location: West (By GOD) Virginia | Registered: November 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Have Springfield Custom work on their gun. https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...660039905#8660039905

Q

Posts: 27604 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Have Springfield Custom work on their gun. https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...660039905#8660039905

I think the custom shop closed a few years ago. For custom work that is.

ETA: I see the link now, reached out. Thanks Q

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6624 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I called Springfield to ask about some custom work on my TRP. They told me the Custom Shop went under about the time Covid hit..??

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ OP in the link above got his Garrison back from SACS in July this year.

Q

Posts: 27604 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave Laubert - Defensive Creations
Brandon Buhler - Buhler Ballistics
AJ Zito - Practical Performance

All three come to mind as competent guys. Not sure how much work any of them are taking but they all know what they're doing.

Posts: 5203 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Cylinder & Slide does some nice work. How much it costs with shipping and work done, might negate the price you paid for the gun and how much more you want to invest.

Cylinder and Slide does excellent work.

But, when I had them work on a gun about six years ago, they had a 9-10 month lead time.
I don't know if that is any different now.
You arrange the work with them and they notify you when it's time to send the gun to them.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat and Nighthawk Custom will also do that kind of work. I'm not sure about Ed Brown.

Posts: 4448 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:

But, when I had them work on a gun about six years ago, they had a 9-10 month lead time.
You arrange the work with them and they notify you when it's time to send the gun to them.

Cylinder and Slide CAN do excellent work but they royally fucked-up my Smith 625 Model 1988 to the point that I took it to an American Pistolsmith Guild member who just shook his head and said it would cost quite a bit to fix it and might even ruin the gun.

Some of the work they did was fantastic but they also did work that wasn't authorized or on the work order and tried to charge me for it. The fuck-up was an added bonus.

Some might like them, but I don't.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
quote:

Cylinder and Slide CAN do excellent work but they royally fucked-up my Smith 625 Model 1988 to the point that I took it to an American Pistolsmith Guild member who just shook his head and said it would cost quite a bit to fix it and might even ruin the gun.

Some of the work they did was fantastic but they also did work that wasn't authorized or on the work order and tried to charge me for it. The fuck-up was an added bonus.

Curious what kind of work they did to a revolver that could cause that degree of damage?

Posts: 9243 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James Jiminez at JRJ Custom Pistols would be worth a look. He offers a lot of choices and his prices are reasonable. He hangs out on 1911 Addicts and has a "custom machine/workshop photos" thread on various 1911 work he has done.

Posts: 93 | Location: Crawfordville | Registered: October 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
quote:

Curious what kind of work they did to a revolver that could cause that degree of damage?

The 1988 625 were notorious and well-known for having excessive headspace and resulting light primer strikes.

Instead of sending it to S&W, I wanted additional work done such as chamfering the cylinder and rounding the trigger, along with correcting the headspace.

They did beautiful work on the cylinder and trigger but then, unilaterally and without any authorization, they squared off the muzzle face tried to bill me for it.

I didn't have any problems with the muzzle face or accuracy, and they took that off the charges but where they fucked up is on the headspace.

They corrected it but when doing so, the cylinder gap was excessive and so they removed and turned the turned the barrel and cut another thread in it but they cut too much. When installed, the front sight and barrel are canted about 5-7 degrees to the left. Instantly obvious when you pick up the gun.

The APG gunsmith looked at it and said that he'd have to cut another thread but if he did, the ejector rod would be forced tight into the spring loaded catch under the end of the barrel.

Doing all of that reworking would be expensive and would change the nature and look of the gun. It would be a lot of work to likely not unfuck the gun.

The APG 'smith said it would be a lot expensive machine work and handfitting but it still wouldn't look factory when he was done.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the details. I'd have been a special kind of pissed if my gun came back from an expensive rework like that. That's inexcusable.

Thanks for that info on the 1988 625, too...I was not aware of the headspace issue with those. I've always kinda wanted one, but knowing that I think I'll steer clear.

Posts: 9243 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Thanks for the details. I'd have been a special kind of pissed if my gun came back from an expensive rework like that. That's inexcusable.

Thanks for that info on the 1988 625, too...I was not aware of the headspace issue with those. I've always kinda wanted one, but knowing that I think I'll steer clear.

It shoots like a dynamo, but with a slightly canted barrel. The gun has heft and once you get into a rhythm with the cylinder, it's poetry in motion. 5" barrel tames the recoil and the full moon clips make it fast to reload.

The headspace issue is easily fixed with shims, like any other S&W but it's the resulting cylinder gap that started this little nightmare.

Back in '88, the S&W business model was to get the sale up front and then let warranty fix the guns. By '89, they were moving away from that.

If you find one, it's an excellent shooter and very accurate.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dry-fly:
I called Springfield to ask about some custom work on my TRP. They told me the Custom Shop went under about the time Covid hit..??

Here is their price list. Very recent.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1460 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Well, I’m glad to hear SA’s custom shop is up and running. I swear I called like two weeks ago concerning my TRP. Guess the guy was clueless Confused

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Well, I’m glad to hear SA’s custom shop is up and running. I swear I called like two weeks ago concerning my TRP. Guess the guy was clueless Confused

Did you call the custom shop?

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1460 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I called SA customer service and introduced myself as M. Woodruff with Muzzle Works (I’m an FFL/SOT holder).