SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    "Blem" gun meaning and identifying one
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Blem" gun meaning and identifying one Login/Join 
posted
Have a couple of questions for the jury:

1) What does the term "blem" actually mean? Is it a cosmetic issue (thin bluing, scratches, etc)?

2) How are "blem" guns identified? In other words, are the boxes marked as such so that a prospective buyer is aware of the fact?

I'm interested in a "new old stock" pistol I saw online and have yet to ask the seller if it is a blem or not. The hope is that he will be telling the truth! Thank you.

Posts: 2012 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Blem is typically a cosmetic flaw that doesn’t meet factory quality control.
S&W will mark a blem gun with a U in the serial #. Berretta with a Y. Dan Wesson with an upside down Y
The box typically with be labeled blem.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
"Blem" = minor cosmetic issues that have nothing to do with the mechanical functions of the firearms.

If the manufacturer sells a new gun as a blem, then it is a blem, even though sometimes you can hardly find the blem. If it is not sold as blem, you can often find cosmetic issues yourself and wonder why they didn't sell it as a blem.

Q

Posts: 26441 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blem = Blemish

Something on that weapon / part of the weapon isn't 100%.
May be minor cosmetic, a scratch, a "ding" or a dent. Improper finish.

The manufacturer won't put out a weapon that has a scratch on a lower receiver, however, because it's a minor scratch, the lower is 100% functional.

Bravo Company has stuff like this for sale a lot.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bc...bled-demo-scratched/

$90 for a BCM Lower? Not a bad price if you ask me! (they used to be $80!)

But somewhere on the lower, there's a scratch, the finish is warn off on the edges, or there's a small dent that wont affect the function.
If you're building a "truck gun" or a "working gun" that's going to be tossed around and the opposite of a "safe queen", a "Blem" is the way to go.

Hell, I have a LMT upper that was a "blem" because of a small dent on one of the teeth of the rail. Doesn't affect anything- $150!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8358 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My PSA lower was a blem. Searched & found none that were obvious to me.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
My PSA lower was a blem. Searched & found none that were obvious to me.

I also have purchased a blem PSA upper and found absolutely nothing wrong, damaged, or out of the ordinary.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taurus blem guns will have an "X" at the end of the serial number to denote that the gun was a blem. I have one with a tiny "zit" on the frame, and the gun shoots great.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Also, If a manufacturer changes the markings on the gun sometimes they will sell the old ones as blem.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7958 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I figured it (mostly) means cosmetic blemish only but wanted to be sure. That's good to know how some companies at least indicate that a blemish exists.

Q: I loved the way you summed it up! LOL

Posts: 2012 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought a lot of "blemished" parts, accessories, and firearms. It's been rare that I could visually spot the blemish, and when I could, it was nothing that I'd have given a second thought.

Manufacturers that sell "seconds," or "blemished" parts or firearms may do so because of a flaw in finish, even a scratch, or perhaps a slight color mismatch. Even so, Most manufacturers won't sell something even as a second or "blemished" item, unless it's meets their standard of function and fit, because that item still represents them, and their reputation.

Most of the time, a "blemished" item is one that the manufacturer won't sell as equal in finish to their other items, but will still sell because other than whatever the very minor blemish might be, the item is still desirable, and will still bring a profit.

Sig sells refurbished pistols that I've purchased; they're used, but the ones I own have come indistinguishable in appearance to a new firearm. I wouldn't hestitate to buy another, or most manufacturers "blemished" products.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, blem = overstock.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have some PSA blem lowers. No issues with them.

My Red Wing boots are factory seconds.

I bought a car with a rebuilt title.

I'm not cheap, I just don't overspend on certain things. Big Grin

Posts: 13140 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Have a couple of questions for the jury:

1) What does the term "blem" actually mean? Is it a cosmetic issue (thin bluing, scratches, etc)?

2) How are "blem" guns identified? In other words, are the boxes marked as such so that a prospective buyer is aware of the fact?

I'm interested in a "new old stock" pistol I saw online and have yet to ask the seller if it is a blem or not. The hope is that he will be telling the truth! Thank you.

I deal in blems some as a dealer. They're generally stuff with very minor cosmetic issues. The distributors mark them as such by creating a new listing for them and a lower price. I would not be surprised if some dealers buy these and sell as new. I've never seen one that I thought was "bad", and I've seen plenty of guns that were legit "new" that had bigger issues than any "blem."

You'll also see it from manufacturers sometimes. I've had very good luck with BCM "blem" lowers. Usually it's a flat spot in the finish or a scratch.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Blem is typically a cosmetic flaw that doesn’t meet factory quality control.
S&W will mark a blem gun with a U in the serial #. Berretta with a Y. Dan Wesson with an upside down Y
The box typically with be labeled blem.

Per Smith & Wesson a “U” stamp on one of their pistols signifies it as being technically used and sold by S&W. Most of these 3rd Generation “U” marked pistols look in new old stock condition. They’re either demo/sales models or unused pistols traded in by LE Agencies to S&W when they acquired M&P’s.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Salesman samples may be sold as blems.

Sig sells off their showroom demo's every year.
Not sure how they are "marked" but they are essentially new guns that have been handled a lot.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Salesman samples may be sold as blems.

Sig sells off their showroom demo's every year.
Not sure how they are "marked" but they are essentially new guns that have been handled a lot.

Mostly red box "certified refurbished." I've sold quite a few of them and they're always in great shape.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post