SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Browning Buckmarks .22LR --- what do I need to know ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Buckmarks .22LR --- what do I need to know ?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I can only compare to what I have shot, here, in california- not to options I don't have.

I have, or have shot, Ruger MK II and MK III handguns- both slanted grip and 22/45 configurations.

I have shot High Standard handguns from the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s.

I have shot the Buckmark [1996 Nickle Plus, and 2015 Camper].

I have shot some others as well- but never shot any S&W semi-auto .22lr handguns.

Of the ones I mentioned, the High Standards are generally the best- WHEN DIALED IN. The High Standards are well known for being finicky about mag lip adjustments- and they require standard velocity ammo for longevity.

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who wants to just 'pick it up and use it'. I do recommend them for someone who has 'daily shooter' type .22 handguns and wants both a better trigger and a piece of history.

The experience I have with Ruger .22 is all pre-MK IV series.

Out of the box- every one I ever felt needed significant internal tweaking/replacements for me to be happy. My friend loved his without any changes, but- I am a bit of a trigger snob.

I have a MK II Govt Target and I finally like the trigger- After replacing all of the guts except the hammer and MSH.

The Buckmarks.

The off the shelf Buckmark Camper I tried around 2015 had an out of the box/oem trigger that I had to spend a lot of money to equal on my Ruger MK II Govt. Target.

I recommend those to my friends here- as they can still buy them new in California [gun lists- they may be coming to you too.]

The 1996 Buckmark Nickle Plus had two modifications done to it: a Browning Buckmark trigger with overstop screw was added and the Heggis Flip was done. It had a trigger with virtually no take up, overtravel or reset- and it was around 2lbs. With these changes, I wouldn't recommend this for a trainer for any new shooters- but it makes for a very nice shooter.

Accuracy wise- I don't think the Buckmark is any worse than the Ruger.

I would give the Buckmark a 'buy' recommendation: change the trigger IF you want overtravel stop and take up adjustment. Look into Heggis Flip [do search] if it is older. Look for silhouette sear spring if newer. I have read that buckmarks made after around 2005-2010 don't take to the flip as well as the older designs do.

Just my experiences.

I can't speak well or ill of S&W Victory or model 41- due to lack of first hand knowledge. I will say the Model 41 seems to require SV ammo, while I believe the Victory can run on steady diet of HV rounds- like the mini-mag.

In my experience- HV rounds are easier to find, but SV rounds have a bit more accuracy potential- unless you are buying pure target/competition sv rounds- which have a lot more potential.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
The only thing you need to know about a Buckmark is that "I need more ammo" because you will go thru everything you bring with you.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the feedback Gents !

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post