SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Girsan Is Killing It With The Hi Powers (or what FN should have done)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Girsan Is Killing It With The Hi Powers (or what FN should have done) Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
Any one else getting tempted by what Girsan is putting out there in regards to Hi Powers like me? First they started with the original with a sticker of $563:

They just recently came out with the Match/Ops version which should have been the Hi Power MkIV for $699:

https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-p35-match-ops/

Now they’re getting ready to introduce an Optics version of the Hi Power that used the Shield RMS footprint and comes with a red dot for $850:

And they’ve announced the “PI” version for $585 but isn’t released yet:

All this has happened in less than a year while Springfield is still puttering around. The only thing that hasn’t been done is I’d like some front/backstrap texturing, but since I’m under $1,000 for even the most expensive model, I can live with that. Here’s one of the detailed reviews I’ve found on it and it seems like a great deal.

Posts: 4147 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we could still get them I liked everything about them except those damn mile-long serial numbers so many of the Turkish companies are so fond of using. Makes doing the bound book entries and background check paperwork that much more annoying.

-MG

Posts: 1961 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up the match model. Have not shot it yet, but am itching to get it to the range. The 'no mag safety' was a real positive point for me. The fit and finish appear to be top notch. I'm hoping that the trigger will improve after a few hundred rounds.

Posts: 465 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
All I can hope for as a CA resident is that the lawsuit against the DOJ roster succeeds.

Posts: 18040 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by randyman:
I recently picked up the match model. Have not shot it yet, but am itching to get it to the range. The 'no mag safety' was a real positive point for me. The fit and finish appear to be top notch. I'm hoping that the trigger will improve after a few hundred rounds.

Ghost Tactical had a video where he said around the 250 round mark, everything smoothed out and the trigger was much better.

About the only universal downside is that the gun only comes with 1 magazine, but works with any Hi Power magazine unlike FN’s new beastie.

Posts: 4147 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, my God. Get that lump off of that High Power.

That is an abomination, an obscenity.

Posts: 107413 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The Original & PI models would have my interest, of the lot.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15236 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Oh, my God. Get that lump off of that High Power.

That is an abomination, an obscenity.

A Purest at heart.

As much as I agree that some things just shouldn't be messed with, THIS being one of them. However, this is the wave of the future. Sad but true. Seems like everyone is making an "Optics Ready" pistol these days, it's the newest, coolest thing to do. Much like the Rails back when they came out. Now, I won't buy a self / home defense handgun without one.

Beretta puts them on their sexy 92's. Looks like putting a football helmet on Monica Bellucci.

My only saving grace is that it's a Girsan, a cheap knock-off. Not the old school, battle tested BROWNING Hi-Power.

I propose a lynch mob complete with pitch forks and torches when some dirty, rotten son-of-a-bitch puts one on a H&K P7.

Yeah! FN should have done this out the gate, instead of putting out whatever fugly thing they have now.

Here's your options:
Chrome, Blued, Black, FDE/Tan.
Regular sized, and come back with the Detective model.
Regular sights (as in NORMAL sized sights, not those tiny little things that came on the original BHP's), Adjustable sights, and dare I say- even an Optics Ready so someone can toss on a RDS. [I kinda threw up in my mouth just now]
Rail, no Rail...

It can't be that hard to figure out.
Oh, and get rid of the Magazine Disconnect!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8331 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A railed High Power? Blasphemy! The non-railed models look pretty good. The RDS mount is inevitable, I guess.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16054 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm sure some people will love it, but the one with the rail and the RDO just looks... wrong. Wrong is the correct word for that.

Posts: 17097 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the classic look for a hi-power. No rails, no optics ready slide, no fancy grips. I’m OK with deleting the mag safety, but that’s about it.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Main reason I never bought one is that it needed a beavertail. I wasn’t going to pay about $1,000 for a gun that would constantly bite my hand, but I also was never going to spend $3,000 for one with a beavertail welded onto the frame, either.

I also love the rail since it adds functionality while keeping the traditional Hi Power cuts on the slide. They didn’t go CZ and make an SP-01 style full rail. The downside is any holster for it will have to be custom made, and that’s annoying.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Main reason I never bought one is that it needed a beavertail.
Well, it's got plenty of it!

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Should have made the rail G43x or P365 pattern for a thinner light.

Posts: 9950 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
That’s actually a pretty good idea. It would also match with the Shield RMS red dot instead of going with a full size optic.

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I got a Girsan HP match last week and shot it today. Mine is the non railed with the flat trigger, adjustable sights and Para’s beavertail abomination. This pistol does not have the much maligned magazine safety.

It ate my hand loaded Berry 124 grain TMJ and cast 130 grain flat points with aplomb. I am looking forward to running factory ammo in it for comparison purposes next time.

I want to replace the fiber optic front sight with a solid black one. I am not sold on the flat trigger yet and it may be replaced sometime in the future. Otherwise this is a nice HP clone. I would totally snag a Girsan PI model when one becomes available.

Posts: 3141 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Rail on a Hi-Power. Even more grotesque than a railed 1911.

Q

Posts: 26305 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Rail on a Hi-Power. Even more grotesque than a railed 1911.

I feel your pain Q.

Posts: 928 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The damn things don't even have gas pedals.

I do find this interesting, though:

In years past, I would have jumped on that but have no practical need for it now. Still, I would like to see a Commander-type version of the High Power become widely available. There's the FM version no longer in production, and over the decades there have been some very expensive custom chopped High Powers (Austin Behlert and the like) so it would be nice to see one available. Then again, like many pistols, when you shorten the slide of the High Power, the pistol may not function perfectly.

posted Hide Post
Minor whine: I can do without the "you could shoot yourself if you dont read the manual" billboard on the frame. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16054 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post