SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 ejector is loose and wobbly.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 ejector is loose and wobbly. Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted
I snagged a nice P226 today for a song at a LGS. I have two others and pulled the slides off all three to compare some stuff. The one I bought today has a loose and wobbly ejector. That part is totally snug on my other two P226s. Looking at the two pins that go in there, I don't see how I can tighten this up, but it just doesn't feel right. I don't know that I'll have a chance to shoot it tomorrow, and I like wrenching on my guns. So I don't mind replacing internals, if need be. But is this normal and, if not, how to fix?

Posts: 3543 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
When I regularly worked on P226 and P229 pistols I found that how the ejectors fit in place varied from very tightly to somewhat loose and “wobbly.” I never noticed any difference in reliability performance, but I much preferred the loose ones because the really tight ones were far harder to work with.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with sigfreund’s observation, but if it bugs you you could try a new ejector.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
If it's not a problem, then it doesn't bug me. Haven't shot this gun yet. I just hadn't seen this before.

Posts: 3543 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it were mine I would knock out the extractor and pivot pin to check for wear.
I have never worn out the pivot pin hole in the extractor, but I have worn out the pin.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
If it's not a problem, then it doesn't bug me. Haven't shot this gun yet. I just hadn't seen this before.

Not uncommon at all.

It is better to let it be unless it really bothers you...with the understanding that messing with it could make it worst and cost more in parts...because replacement is the correct way to address it

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14187 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'm waiting on an E2 grip and steel guide rod to come in the mail and I will run this gun at the range later next week, then decide what it might need.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My only suggestion is to not do anything to the pistol and run a good number of rounds through it before you make any changes.... and don't make more than one change at a time.

edit: well I guess you could change out the grip and that would be okay. I like the E2 grips and despise the factory ones... way too thick for my hands.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post