SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which 10mm? I can't decide..
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 10mm? I can't decide.. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by trebor44:
A couple of thoughts. I started with a G21 and a 45 ACP to 10 mm KKM conversion barrel. Then moved to both a G20 and G40.
Since I reload I can massage my loads to suit my needs. I like to 'plink' with the G40 (threaded barrel and brake). It is also possible to shoot 40 S&W from the G's. The composite frame is a bit softer to shoot over a metal frame.

Forgive my ignorance. Are you saying you can shoot .40s&w from a regular old G20, or are you using a conversion barrel?
I have a metric ton of .40s&w ammo but no .40s&w guns.

Yep, just load it and shoot it, I put 200 rounds of .40 through my g29 the day I sold it, no conversion barrel. The brass just barely falls out of the gun.
And the issues I had with it with the 10mm sig ammo were failure to eject and failure to go into battery. Or it wouldn’t load the next cartridge but that was rare

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Sig 220 10mm Stainless match elite.
I have this version and it is a beast that shoots tight groups with mild felt recoil.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
quote:
A couple of thoughts. I started with a G21 and a 45 ACP to 10 mm KKM conversion barrel. Then moved to both a G20 and G40.
Since I reload I can massage my loads to suit my needs. I like to 'plink' with the G40 (threaded barrel and brake). It is also possible to shoot 40 S&W from the G's. The composite frame is a bit softer to shoot over a metal frame.

Forgive my ignorance. Are you saying you can shoot .40s&w from a regular old G20, or are you using a conversion barrel?

Yep, just load it and shoot it, I put 200 rounds of .40 through my g29 the day I sold it, no conversion barrel. The brass just barely falls out of the gun.
And the issues I had with it with the 10mm sig ammo were failure to eject and failure to go into battery. Or it wouldn’t load the next cartridge but that was rare

Good to know. I have tons of .40 ammo and have been looking for a cheap .40 beater but I guess there is no need.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can’t speak to it’s reliability but I bet a lighter main spring would help. It felt like I was shooting 9mm out of it

Doesn’t sound like too many people are into 10mm 1911’s. I can’t find much on YouTube about them

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Of your choices, the G20. Dependable, has the capacity, good weight, and handles hot loads.

It's not the sexiest 10mm out there, but it just works.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GJM AK:
Easy answer, an HK USP FS .45 with .45 Super ammo. I went through a bunch of 10mm pistols, for use as a field gun in AK, and once I went USP, have never looked back. I am running the Underwood Lehigh Extreme Penetrator .45 Super load for my woods use.

What do you have to change on the USP to shoot.45 Super ?

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 20sf is tough to beat if you are set on 10mm. The only issue with it is that you'll get a bit of a bulge in the case head if you shoot hotter loads. It isn't going to be a huge safety issue, but may wear out your brass if you reload.

I would get an aftermarket barrel with full chamber support, an aftermarket guide rod, and 20 and 22 lbs recoil springs. The stock RSA is fine for plinking loads and the moderate factory loads. You need more spring for the hot stuff.

Posts: 713 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Here's a post from a while back with some input.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...420041534#5420041534

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Depends on your budget and what you have in mind.

• A Glock 20 would be most economical.
  • Next would be a Glock 40 MOS.
  • Sig's P220 Legion is sweet.
  • But we really know you want the double stack 2011 with the six inch barrel and long dust cover! Big Grin

•  
    Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Raised Hands Surround Us
    Picture of Black92LX
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nick B:
    quote:
    Originally posted by GJM AK:
    Easy answer, an HK USP FS .45 with .45 Super ammo. I went through a bunch of 10mm pistols, for use as a field gun in AK, and once I went USP, have never looked back. I am running the Underwood Lehigh Extreme Penetrator .45 Super load for my woods use.

What do you have to change on the USP to shoot.45 Super ?

I specifically stayed away from this question as I love my USP9 Tactical.
    I don’t want to add another caliber to the mix.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
    Happy with my Glock 20sf. Works well.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rockyriver
    posted Hide Post
    The SS P220 Elite. SAO

Posts: 38 | Registered: January 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have about 1200 to spend on it, I figure I’d spend about a grand on a Glock after a new barrel and sights/trigger etc. so why not get something sexy, but I really wish I could find a range where I could shoot all 3 but that’s never gonna happen lol

posted Hide Post
    Serious question:

While I can’t offer a suggestion on any of these fine pistols I have to ask about the potential safety issues involved with carrying either a single action or striker fired pistol (given their four to six pound trigger and short travel distance) while riding off-road when (as the OP said) the likelihood of falling off is pretty high. Wouldn’t a firearm with either a heavy trigger pull and/or long trigger travel be a better option?

What about a .44 mag or .454 revolver?

Or would the person riding off road carry without a round in the chamber?

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Raised Hands Surround Us
    Picture of Black92LX
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I have about 1200 to spend on it, I figure I’d spend about a grand on a Glock after a new barrel and sights/trigger etc. so why not get something sexy, but I really wish I could find a range where I could shoot all 3 but that’s never gonna happen lol

Why do you feel the need to swap these things out??
    Sights I understand.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:

Sights I understand.

The stock trigger shoe is something that I can’t live with, it’s just plain irritating to me. It’s not the trigger pull, just how it feels.
    The barrel I will change for something with full chamber support as I carry/shoot the full power loads. The slide stop isn’t a big deal as I slingshot the slide but it is a pretty hard slide stop to manipulate.

Also I’m not worried about the weapon going off if I fall off the bike. I’ve carried my 229 and my g29 and have had some pretty spectacular crashes. Never a problem, I’m not afraid of a modern pistol going off and I carry with one in the chamber. If I didn’t there would be no point in carrying. A bear, cougar or a meth headed hillbilly would get the drop on you well before you get a round in the chamber and aim then decide to fire.

Picture of henryaz
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by HKAngusKL:
    The 20sf is tough to beat if you are set on 10mm. The only issue with it is that you'll get a bit of a bulge in the case head if you shoot hotter loads. It isn't going to be a huge safety issue, but may wear out your brass if you reload.

There is a nice through sizer available from Redding for 10mm, as the case has no taper. It pushes the entire case through the die. I don't know if this would help or hurt, though. You would be able to work the bulge back down, but then again that might overstress the brass in that critical area.

My preference, partly due to the fact that I have not shot any other 10mm, and partly due to loving the SIG P220-10mm so much, is the SIG. Mine is the Stainless Elite, all Nitron, SAO. It is heavy, at 42 oz with no mag (and SIG's web site has incorrect information there; they say 39.5 oz, which is what a Stainless Elite .45 weighs). The capacity issue (vs a Glock) is of no concern to me, as I've always carried an 8+1 1911, before getting my SIG 10mm. It's just my idea of "enough" to do the job.

I bought an excellent holster from Sam Andrews, and I've carried the gun for 8 hours with no issues, other than it weighs down a bit on that side. A good belt like the Wilderness Instructor helps immensely. My holster has a thumb break that covers the cocked hammer, which I felt the need for since this gun has an ambi safety. Sam even molded the thumb break strap with a slight recess on the right side for a safety in the cocked position.

For me, the most comfortable holsters for OWB are ones where the belt loops are outside the holster itself, instead of behind it (like a TechLok). The wider spread on the belt makes for a more stable platform both for drawing, and to spread out the weight on the belt.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    What do you guys think about a 220 combat and converting it to .45 super? That way I could shoot regular ole .45 at the range and put the heavier spring in for .45 super while in the woods

Raised Hands Surround Us
    Picture of Black92LX
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

Sights I understand.

The stock trigger shoe is something that I can’t live with, it’s just plain irritating to me. It’s not the trigger pull, just how it feels.
    The barrel I will change for something with full chamber support as I carry/shoot the full power loads. The slide stop isn’t a big deal as I slingshot the slide but it is a pretty hard slide stop to manipulate.

Also I’m not worried about the weapon going off if I fall off the bike. I’ve carried my 229 and my g29 and have had some pretty spectacular crashes. Never a problem, I’m not afraid of a modern pistol going off and I carry with one in the chamber. If I didn’t there would be no point in carrying. A bear, cougar or a meth headed hillbilly would get the drop on you well before you get a round in the chamber and aim then decide to fire.

I don’t like to fiddle too much with my defense weapons. I want to be positive it will go bang EVERYTIME, so I leave them be.
    Underwood and BuffaloBore both state on their site all of their loads are perfectly safe to use in factory Glocks.
    I highly dislike how Glocks feel to shoot but I have no doubt they will go bang. So for a woods gun the plain Jane 20SF suits best.

————————————————

Picture of pepsiblue
    posted Hide Post
    My choice was the G29, and I have no regrets. It has been 100% reliable, no issues at all. The only thing that would replace it for my hiking / woods gun would be a G20sf, or a Gen4 20

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
    ___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post