SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dealing with manual ambi safety on 365
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dealing with manual ambi safety on 365 Login/Join 
posted
I like the 365 (though still miss my Glocks and do go back often), and I like its low profile manual safety. I don't have a whole lot of experience with manual safeties on EDC handguns, and no experience with manual ambi safeties till the 365.
I know -- I should just realize my brain is my safety, just keep my finger off the trigger, not carry if I don't have more confidence in my gun handling skills, get a better holster, etc.
But all that wisdom aside, can I ask for advice on how you deal with the Sig's ambi safety?
I am right handed. I find I have to change my grip and consciously move my right hand somewhat away from the right side of the gun to allow my right thumb to efficiently thumb down the safety on the left side of the gun. If I don't do that my right hand holds up the safety on the right side and I have to really push hard and not efficiently on the left lever. Both ways require deliberate efforts, and aren't too quick, and make me readjust my grip. These issues with having to change my grip are worse with the short 10 round mags, but still present with the 12 rounders.
Anybody else with similar observations? I sure don't aim to be a quick draw artist, but I do worry if the above could cause issues in an emergency. Should I just be practicing more? Any suggested solutions on grip, etc besides cutting off the right sided safety?
I appreciate any observations and thoughts.
Thanks.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
As you establish your grip to draw from the holster, position your right hand thumb above the left side safety, as you obtain the target, release the safety.

You shouldn't have to mess with the right side safety at all.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
I just leave the 365 off safe. The levers are too small to engage reliably with the thumb. In fact, I may just remove the thumb safety and get a new grip module without a thumb-safety notch. Frankly, the only reason mine has a thumb safety is because my stupid anti-gun state requires the safety model for sales.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
I just leave the 365 off safe. The levers are too small to engage reliably with the thumb. In fact, I may just remove the thumb safety and get a new grip module without a thumb-safety notch. Frankly, the only reason mine has a thumb safety is because my stupid anti-gun state requires the safety model for sales.

Same. I don’t even mess with the safety on mine.

Are you saying that you push up on the safety while shooting? If so, do like was suggested and get a grip module without the safety.

Posts: 1100 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
As you establish your grip to draw from the holster, position your right hand thumb above the left side safety, as you obtain the target, release the safety.

You shouldn't have to mess with the right side safety at all.

I do that, but find that my grip impedes the right lever's downward motion.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
^^^ I hear ya, and that right there is why I hate this trend towards ambi-everything. The unnecessary right-sided controls just create opportunities to snag on things or interfere with your grip. To make matters worse, the 365 is a small gun...it was too small for my hands without the safety, I can't imagine what it would be like trying to make it work for me with one.

I don't really have any answers for you, other than to remove it and get a grip module without the safety cut-out.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
^^^ I hear ya, and that right there is why I hate this trend towards ambi-everything. The unnecessary right-sided controls just create opportunities to snag on things or interfere with your grip. To make matters worse, the 365 is a small gun...it was too small for my hands without the safety, I can't imagine what it would be like trying to make it work for me with one.

I don't really have any answers for you, other than to remove it and get a grip module without the safety cut-out.

Thank you. You may be right. I am trying to make a safety work. It SEEMS so straightforward...

Anybody have similar problems that they solved with a different grip or by removing just the right lever?

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I don't have tutorial, but I have read from owners here on SF and other places remove the right side safety w/o creating any functional problems. If you like having the manual safety, I think that's a better route than converting to no safety.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I don't have tutorial, but I have read from owners here on SF and other places remove the right side safety w/o creating any functional problems. If you like having the manual safety, I think that's a better route than converting to no safety.

Thank you. I had not read about this.

Member!
posted Hide Post
I was the one here who cut off the right side safety lever on my p365. It's pretty easy. The issue (just cosmetic), is the frame cutouts. If you want a clean smooth right side of frame, you will need to modify a non-safety frame on the left side so the right side is clean. If you don't care about the cutout on the right side (it's pretty small, and poses no mechanical or real dirt ingress), then you're fine with just chopping off the lever. I chopped it with a dremel cutoff wheel, then sanded and smoothed the end, even though it's hidden under frame on right side.

Non-safety cutout frames are like $35 new. And if you want to cutout the frame on the left side so the right is clean, here's a pro tip, just use x-acto knife or similar and carve/scrape out the opening little by little (use regular safety frame for reference, but know that the regular safety cutout is bigger than it needs to be to clear the safety lever). Easier and safer than trying to hog out a tiny cutout with a power tool.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
I was the one here who cut off the right side safety lever on my p365. It's pretty easy. The issue (just cosmetic), is the frame cutouts. If you want a clean smooth right side of frame, you will need to modify a non-safety frame on the left side so the right side is clean. If you don't care about the cutout on the right side (it's pretty small, and poses no mechanical or real dirt ingress), then you're fine with just chopping off the lever. I chopped it with a dremel cutoff wheel, then sanded and smoothed the end, even though it's hidden under frame on right side.

Non-safety cutout frames are like $35 new. And if you want to cutout the frame on the left side so the right is clean, here's a pro tip, just use x-acto knife or similar and carve/scrape out the opening little by little (use regular safety frame for reference, but know that the regular safety cutout is bigger than it needs to be to clear the safety lever). Easier and safer than trying to hog out a tiny cutout with a power tool.

Thank you.
Did you do that for the same reasons I was describing, or for other reasons?
And how has it worked for you?

Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:

Thank you.
Did you do that for the same reasons I was describing, or for other reasons?
And how has it worked for you?

I just wanted the pistol as slim as possible and having an ambi safety added needless girth for a right side lever I would never use. It works great with only the left side lever. Just like the old-school 1911's I was raised with. It's a seriously easy modification and even if you were to hack it off with a dull hacksaw, putting a frame on without a cutout would cover up any ugliness.

Even if you were to completely screw it up and have to replace it, a new one is only $16 bucks on Ebay. New Cheap P365 Safety Lever

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just wanted the pistol as slim as possible and having an ambi safety added needless girth for a right side lever I would never use. It works great with only the left side lever. Just like the old-school 1911's I was raised with. It's a seriously easy modification and even if you were to hack it off with a dull hacksaw, putting a frame on without a cutout would cover up any ugliness.

Even if you were to completely screw it up and have to replace it, a new one is only $16 bucks on Ebay. New Cheap P365 Safety Lever [/QUOTE]

Much appreciated. This forum is an incredible resource.

Still curious. Am I the only one with this problem of impeding the lever moving with my grip? Is this common with a lot of ambi safeties?

posted Hide Post
“Even if you were to completely screw it up and have to replace it, a new one is only $16 bucks on Ebay. New Cheap P365 Safety Lever [/QUOTE]

Be careful…that link is for a Sig Sauer P365 Manual Thumb Safety Detent SPRING Only - 2700267-R P365X P365XL X

Apparently a listing error no reason to suspect a deliberate bait and switch.

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigguy:
“Even if you were to completely screw it up and have to replace it, a new one is only $16 bucks on Ebay. New Cheap P365 Safety Lever

quote:
Be careful…that link is for a Sig Sauer P365 Manual Thumb Safety Detent SPRING Only - 2700267-R P365X P365XL X

Apparently a listing error no reason to suspect a deliberate bait and switch.

Good catch! Sorry if I confused anyone. I just did a quick google search for price and it was at the top.

The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
Manual safeties just suck. They really do! I took a class once and the instructors made me engage and disengage the manual safety with every magazine change. So, all day, engaging and disengaging the manual safety. I know, safety is king. I get that. But I came home and sold that gun and I will never buy another handgun with a manual safety. Ever! I'm committed to just training myself to not need one.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just leave it off.

It is a requirement for nanny states, it is not like carrying cocked and locked.

It is have been carried like this since I bought it. It has not gone off by itself yet.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still curious. Am I the only one with this problem of impeding the lever moving with my grip? Is this common with a lot of ambi safeties?

No, you're not. I've never had that problem with a P365, because the one I had don't have a safety, but I have had it happen with ambi-safeties on 1911s, and ambi levers on ARs hit my trigger finger if it's indexed along the side of the receiver. I hate them, and try to avoid buying anything that comes equipped with them, but if the gun isn't offered without them, I typically spend extra money to remove them and replace them with a single-sided variant. The only one I haven't had problems with is the Beretta 92 because it's up and out of the way on the slide.

I won't carry a handgun for self-defense that has a manual safety. I want it ready to go when it comes out of the holster, with pressing the trigger as the only requirement to make it go bang. I have a few different guns that I carry based on the circumstances, and this self-imposed rule keeps things simple and consistent across the board. Even though I dearly love my 1911s, they are relegated to range use because of this, as is my Beretta 92FS (yes, I know I could convert it to a G model if I really wanted to).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies and perspective. Please keep them coming.
I have always avoided safeties on EDC items -- briefly a DA/SA Walther (with safety off), J frame, P7 for long time, Seecamp, CZ PCR, G43. No wonder I NEVER could understand why people criticized them so much...
But I'm still wanting for some reason to try to make this 365 with manual safety work. Let me know if you have suggestions, or if cutting the right bugger off is the only way to go.

posted Hide Post
I started reading this thread and had to ask myself if my 365 had a right-side safety. I looked, sure enough it does. However, it is not used nor in the way and is insignificant.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post