SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W 66 “No Dash”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 66 “No Dash” Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
Like lots of folks, I got my start in handguns with a S&W K-frame revolver; in my case it was a 4-inch Model 19. Over time I cycled through a number of assorted Model 19s and their stainless counterpart, the Model 66.

This no-dash 66 caught my attention recently in the Used Guns section of my LGS. I tried to resist initially; alas, before the day was done, I was back at the store for a second look and ultimately to seal the deal.

The gun appeared to be in good shape, offered with no box or papers. The grips seem to be period-correct for what may be a 50-ish year-old gun, but I don’t know if they’re original to it. It was a bit dirty but has cleaned-up nicely; now looking to get this one to the range soon. It will be fed a diet of primarily .38 Special ammo, with an occasional celebratory.357 cylinder in the mix for good measure.

Someone along the way attempted to blacken-in the gun’s interesting, all-stainless sights. From what I’ve read, Smith and Wesson omitted the stainless sights in later variants because they were hard to see in certain light. Heck, if I find it necessary, maybe I’ll follow suit with the sight-darkening! Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
Love me some S&W revolvers.

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never cared for stainless, though that is a nice example of one.
I have always like K’s and J’s probably my favorite handguns
Don’t care for the larger frames.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's awesome! I believe those all stainless sights are pretty desirable to collectors, as they only made them for a short period, and IIRC only on the no dash models of the 66 (but not all the no dash guns had them). I do agree that they're less practical in actual use, though. Maybe temporary coloring with a sharpie so you can wipe it off, or swap out the rear-blade with a black one and keep the stainless one so you can re-install it later? It looks like you have a stainless trigger and hammer, too...I'm no studied S&W expert, but you may have a rather valuable gun there, at least to the right buyer.

The fact that it's pinned and recessed is just cool, too. I'm curious about the grips...are the stripes natural wood grain or were they dyed like that?

Looking forward to a range report with that beauty...I think maybe it needs to shoot a postal match stage at some point, too Big Grin!

It's kinda funny that you should post this now...I too picked up a 4" 66 this week. I got mine at a the local Sheriff's auction. I didn't really mean to buy it, but I've wanted a .357 K-frame for years, it was low, I threw out a bid, and the other guy didn't counter. It's a -4, so not pinned or recessed, a round butt, forged case hardened trigger and hammer, firing pin on the hammer, no lock, and a black rear sight base with a red-ramp front. So far as I can tell, the Uncle Mike's grips were the factory offering...they're ok, but a little narrow. I'm looking into getting a set of wood round to square butt conversion target grips for it.

Mine was also pretty dirty, and the cylinder was a bit gummed up, but a good cleaning shined it up pretty nice and it spins freely now. I had it out to the range yesterday and got the sights adjusted (whoever the cops took it from apparently shot way left, because he had the rear shoved really far to the right...I centered it up and it's dead-on for me). I'm not sure yet what it's practical role is going to be, but I like it, and it fits nice next to the 4" GP100 already in my safe!

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I have two Model 19's. One 4-inch dash 3 and one 6-inch dash 4. Great revolvers.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
Nice pick-up! Thanks for sharing. I prefer the old Smiths to the new ones. They seem to have fewer issues.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a "no dash" Model 66 before I went through the police academy in 1978. (I know, I'm dating myself here.) Back then, we shot the full PPC course for qualification (with wadcutters, of course), and the stainless sights worked very nicely against the old, all black B21 silhouette targets used at that time. Speedloaders were also relatively new, and I remember loading from dump boxes. Unfortunately, I let that revolver get away, like many others. The agency that I subsequently worked for issued a Model 13, which we were required to carry.

Posts: 79 | Location: Wooster, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Absolute classic, I love the grips (they do look correct to me, but I am no expert).

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I would have had a hard time walking away from that......

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP,

The grips, are Goncalo alves Checkered Target Stocks with extractor relief cut (AKA "football cut"). Those target stocks preceded the Checkered Target Stocks with the speed loader cut.

Nice S&W 66!

Posts: 159 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Let us know how it shoots.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I have a 66 and a 66-2...both were carried by my Dad on duty and purchased from his department when they were retired. IIRC the receipts indicated he paid $100 each.
Yours appears to be in better condition than mine. Mine has quite a bit of holster wear obviously. Nice find! Have fun at the range.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
S&W K frames are a terrific handgun. The combo of weight, balance make them excellent to shoot. Mine will remain unsold in my gun safe when I leave the planet. Never going to sell it.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
66 - no dash - introduced 1970.

66-1 - 1977, changed the gas ring from the yoke to the cylinder.

66-2 - 1982, eliminated pinned and recessed, slightly lengthened cylinder.

66-3 - 1986, new yoke retention system / radius stud package / hammer nose bushing / floating hand

66-4 - 1994, change rear sight leaf, drill and tap frame, introduce Hogue grips, change extractor.

66-5 - 1998, change in frame design: eliminate cylinder stop stud/eliminate serrated tangs/change to MIM hammer with floating firing pin/change internal lockwork.

66-6 - 2002, introduce internal lock.

2005 - discontinued.

2014 - reintroduced.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have a 66-1 6" and a 66-2 4".

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun, I can see the allure.

I've got an old friend who has been on the hunt for one of these for years now and intermittently reminds me to keep an eye out, only he is into collecting snubs and wants a no dash minus a couple inches less barrel.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
You picked up a beauty! Please give us a range report after you take it out. Nothing like a day with one like that and few boxes of 148gr LWC at the range.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The 66 is one of my favorite handguns. I picked up a lightly used -1 about three years ago. It'll be one of the last guns I ever sell.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Hey, all, thank you and I love the wheelgun-fandom here!

@captain127, it’s timely that you mention a dislike for stainless guns. I, too, have divested myself of all but one stainless gun, a S&W 642 that I pocket-carry almost full-time. Just a few days prior to seeing this 66, I’d reflected about my own avoidance of stainless guns…and now here I am haha! I’ve had a bit of a soft spot for the 66, and it’s been quite a few years since I last owned one. I think finding out it was a “no-dash” and seeing those stainless sights is what pulled me all the way in haha…

@92fstech, congrats on that 66 of yours, I like it!

I was able to log just over 100 rounds through mine today, shooting it alongside a 27-2. Shooting this K-frame centerfire brought back a lot of good memories of my earliest days shooting. This one’s a winner for sure. My targets won’t impress many but they work for me haha…first one is at 7 yards, the second at 10 yards. For both, I was shooting two-shot strings from low-ready, 24 rounds total per target, with reloads from a Barranti Leather Triple Deuce 2x2x2 ammo pouch on my belt. FWIW, this is the same pouch I use to carry spare ammo for my 642. My range allows approved members to draw from concealment, but I don’t have a holster for this one…yet!

Ammo for the day included 158 gr RNL and 130 gr FMJ .38 Specials as well as a few 125 gr .38 Special +P JHPs. The 66 made light work out of all of it.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post