SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W 66 “No Dash”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 66 “No Dash” Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Nice score. I remember when all the police in my town carried the 65 or 66. I have a 66-2 myself, would love to have a no dash.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice to see it shoots as good as it looks! Looking forward to seeing what kind of leather you get for it. I ended up ordering a used 1791 cheap off of eBay for now...I'm hoping it will serve as a gun bucket for both the 66 and the GP100, which I've never carried due to the weight...but I will probably end up wanting something better at some point.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I think mine is a 66-3,
would need to look to verify

3' full length ejector
round butt

Lew Horton or one of the big dealer/wholesaler specials from the 80's

(IIRC I bought it a year after we got married, which would be 87 or so)

great revolver
the factory grips got replaced with a set of Eagle combat looking grips, smooth with finger grooves,

it tended to rotate in my hand under 357 loads,
now it does not,

quite accurate too

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
@92fstech - sounds good; I was thinking I’d read good comments about the 1791 line. There’s an LGS near me that often has some of their products in-stock - looked like solid gear!

@lyman - now that is indeed a special 66 there. I’ve gotten to handle one of those once - what a great configuration for a .357.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
And by the way @all haha - thanks again for the good words on this gun. I’m glad I ultimately did not resist the call of this one haha! Big Grin

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful example of an early SS sights gun. I have a 66-1 snub that has worked its way into my carry rotation. Congrats on a nice score.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I think mine is a 66-3,

3' full length ejector
round butt

great revolver
the factory grips got replaced with a set of Eagle combat looking grips, smooth with finger grooves,

now it does not,

quite accurate too

I have a 3.2" 66-5. It is round butt, has the Hi-Viz front sight and a v notch in the rear. It has the new thumb latch design, but no lock. My understanding is that these were for Lew Horton's.

It has a great trigger and a wonderful double action, and I shoot it very accurately, even though those sights are not ideal for precision. Some dope boogered up the side plate when a screw driver slipped, but the grips I have on it cover that screw, so it isn't obvious.

The 3" 66s do sell for a noticeable premium now. I've seen them offered at $1000, but I don't know if they sell at that price. $800 isn't too much, though. (I didn't pay that as I got it years ago.)

I remember those goncalo alves grips from the '80s. I had a set on a 686 no dash, but they are damned uncomfortable and bulky. I removed them for a set of Hogue Monogrips. I may still have the goncalo alves grips somewhere. The wood was pretty.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Re: the target stocks - I’ve been shooting mostly N-frames lately, including a 27-2 with the same style stocks…the K-frame feels almost svelt in comparison haha! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I think mine is a 66-3,

3' full length ejector
round butt

great revolver

now it does not,

quite accurate too

I have a 3.2" 66-5. It is round butt, has the Hi-Viz front sight and a v notch in the rear. It has the new thumb latch design, but no lock. My understanding is that these were for Lew Horton's.

It has a great trigger and a wonderful double action, and I shoot it very accurately, even though those sights are not ideal for precision. Some dope boogered up the side plate when a screw driver slipped, but the grips I have on it cover that screw, so it isn't obvious.

The 3" 66s do sell for a noticeable premium now. I've seen them offered at $1000, but I don't know if they sell at that price. $800 isn't too much, though. (I didn't pay that as I got it years ago.)

I remember those goncalo alves grips from the '80s. I had a set on a 686 no dash, but they are damned uncomfortable and bulky. I removed them for a set of Hogue Monogrips. I may still have the goncalo alves grips somewhere. The wood was pretty.

I believe your 66-5 is one of the "Stocking Dealer Specials" & probably not a LH gun--I had one awhile back, and that's what my research at the time lead me to conclude, anyway--It's one in a LONG LINE of Smiffs I should never have parted with... Frown

Posts: 645 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
LH or not, a 3" K-Frame is just about the perfect-sized six-shooter. I wish they were more prolific, as the rarity has driven prices up past what I'm willing to pay. I'd love to see pics of yours, jhe, if you have any!

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Carried a 66-2 as a duty revolver years back. I happened to get a lemon that would bind up way too often. Soon after they authorized the 686 and it got sidelined. Traded it in many years later here in NH. Still have a mint 66 in the 2.5 inch variety. While it doesn't come out that much it's a great gun to play around with from time to time.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! When they said all stainless steel they mean all stainless steel. Plus pinned and recessed. I am queer for stainless steel anyway. What a gorgeous example you found.

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My SW M-66 is of the no dash variety, similar to a previous poster, I got out of the academy in 1976, purchased the M-66 about that time through a special department order. I carried that gun and a Model 15 before that. Back in the day, dump pouches for ammo, and only department issued ammo could be carried. Qualifications used commercial reloaded .38 wadcutter. Department ammo was Remington 38 Plus P. So it was a good idea to do some practicing with the Plus P ammo, nothing like the low bid .38 reloads. I still have both, 66 no dash and 15. Many years later I picked up M-66 no dash 2 1./2 in bbl. Needed a taller rear sight but it is a fine shooting snub nose.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the comments here - I really enjoy seeing both the revolver memories AND the ongoing wave of interest in guns like this one.

I officially have gunleather on-order for this one; pics to follow when it arrives!

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Here’s my 66-2.

Was my dad’s service revolver.

I still have the original grips but I put the Hogue grips on because it was banging the crap out of my knuckle while shooting.357 goodness.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PR64,

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Nice, @PR64! I am a sucker for S&W red-ramp front sights like that!

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Beautiful revolver!

I snagged a 66-2 a handful of years ago via local auction for a song.
It was used, but not abused, and the price was right. I really wanted something along the lines of a 19 or 586, but just couldn't pass it up.

It's been mostly fed .38s and sighted for same, but every few years I crank off a few 357s just for fun. Big Grin

Obligatory pic

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Had my original M-66 nothing , from 1971? 1972 maybe? Until a few months back. Gifted it to a longtime friend.

ALL the gun most of us could ever need. But the variety is so enticing....revolvers, BHP's, 1911's,SIG's etc. Though in the end it's all just stuff. I'd like my stuff to go to someone who likes and appreciates it.

Beautiful M-66! Shoot it frequently and enjoy it.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I had a sweet 66 no dash 4” with the non stainless sights that I sold a few years back along with a bunch of old Smiths I just didn’t shoot. I did acquire this one which has one of the most exquisite triggers and has made it into my carry rotation. I absolutely love a good K frame.

[IMG:left] 062DCE87-CDD4-4E36-9F9E-A5C6A8EAC6FD by David King, on Flickr[/IMG]

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I was gifted a 66-1 4” barrel a couple of years ago, ex PD gun, Box, papers, screwdriver, missing the cleaning rod. Outside of the factory test fire I don’t think it has ever been shot.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post