SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 in .45 — Rail or no rail and why?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 in .45 — Rail or no rail and why? Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I've carried Sigs iwb with and without rails. I can't tell a difference. I think it's more personal preference unless you need the rail.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
I’m debating picking up an LEO trade-in P220 DA/SA in .45. I’m toying with making it a suppressor host at some point, if I decide to jump into that pool. The other use would be as a range toy. Is there any reason to go with/without a rail?

Thanks in advance,
Herk

I prefer non-railed, but it doesn't really detract...and you can put a light on it if you ever choose to.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Non-Rail. Reminds me of when I owned one in college.

Posts: 52 | Location: Tucson, Arizona  | Registered: August 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I bought my P220 as WG red box so no rail or a funny trigger guard. Since I use the gun for pin shooting I don't care. I did the E2 upgrade that really made the gun for me. Of the guns I have that are railed OK but I never use it nor do I like the trigger guard that allows hooking finger in front? Like the rounded guard since there is no placement of fingers with the grip I use. I will admit I have a P250 with a flashlight on it but it sits in the safe. I know every nook and cranny of my house, why would I light it up? It's only Wendy, the dogs (the alarm system) and myself so everybody else is the threat. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I used to be firmly in the railless camp, but carrying a gun for a few years on night shift has shifted my opinion. I wouldn't give up my weaponlight for anything, even though I carry two handhelds on my belt as well. Sure you can get by with a handheld in your off-hand, but having it on the gun makes life a lot easier. The first time you have to open a door you suddenly realize how nice it is to have a free hand while still being able to have your gun and light up at the same time. Also, I can shoot ok with a one-handed grip, but I sure shoot a lot better with two. Nice to be able to illuminate your target and have both hands on the gun at the same time.

I now kind of wish the earlier gun purchases in my collection included more options with rails...

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Rail. Big Grin

That poor gun...
Big Grin

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Rail.

Unless you just absolutely can't stand the look of the rail, it hurts nothing, and it's not like you can just tack one on after.

Well, I mean, you can, but if you think the built in picatinny rail is ugly...

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a dozen 220's and I love them all. But....there is something special about the no-rail model. Sleek, timeless.

Get both!!

Posts: 197 | Location: Orange County, Texas | Registered: April 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
I prefer no rail for the smooth appearance and ease of handling, especially if I'm going to use it as a carry unit. I agree there are advantages to having the rail - light, laser. I have a couple units with rails that are range units. If it was never going to be in a holster on my side, I'd buy the rail.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 869 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zeme05
posted Hide Post
Because Dick Tracey did not use a rail!

Posts: 1375 | Location: West Texas | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
In thinking about it, maybe the answer depends on the age of the 220. I confess to strongly preferring the ST and Match versions, myself. But one of the virtues of the more slender and compact 220s of yesteryear is that you can tuck them away pretty much anywhere. A properly sized and shaped rail might just be bulky enough on one of them that the bottom edge of the rail could be a PITA.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
For nightstand guns, rail, otherwise no.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I'd want a rail in case I wanted to mount a light. The only caveat for me is that I don't want one of those 220s with the damn hole in the slide. Can't stand that.

Hole in the slide? What's that?

Posts: 104 | Registered: April 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
No rails! I hate rails. Don't buy a gun with a rail if it can be helped.
Some rails like a Glock aren't really an issue but I have had a few guns like FN that had rails that looked like you could saw wood with them. They interfere with how I carry in the small of my backs leather holster.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hoser:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I'd want a rail in case I wanted to mount a light. The only caveat for me is that I don't want one of those 220s with the damn hole in the slide. Can't stand that.

Hole in the slide? What's that?

On milled slide SIGs with the internal extractor, the hole on the right side at the rear of the slide serves to assist in installing/removing the extractor. Of course, this hole is not necessary in the folded slide SIGs or those milled slide SIGs with external extractor.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I PREFER no rail because I'm a traditionalist and don't carry a weapon light when I'm not on duty. I just think the P series looks better without the rail.

That said, all of my current Sigs except my P228 and P239 have rails. My wife has a P226 without a rail.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
My latest was a P227. It does not have the rail.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

SAS?

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

SAS?

Yup, It was a SAS Carry when I started. Wink

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
While I am a traditionalist when it comes to P-220's, I used to preach no rails, no tails.

While I would not feel at a disadvantage with my mid 90's railless and tailless P-220, I have come to appreciate the rail and tail.

While maybe not for everyone, they do serve a purpose and I do own a couple of P-220s with rails and tails.

So, my opinion from no rails and no tails has evolved over time.

All that said, I suspect older P-220's without rails and tails maybe less expensive.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post