SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 in .45 — Rail or no rail and why?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 in .45 — Rail or no rail and why? Login/Join 
posted
I’m debating picking up an LEO trade-in P220 DA/SA in .45. I’m toying with making it a suppressor host at some point, if I decide to jump into that pool. The other use would be as a range toy. Is there any reason to go with/without a rail?

Thanks in advance,
Herk

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If you don't like rail, then no.

If you don't care either way, then no, since it will be just a range toy. But, if you will be using it for home defense, then yes, since you might want a light attached to it.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is always that tricky issue that if you intend/need to use it seriously someday you will want a rail to mount a light. But if that's never ever in the cards get whatever you like. Aesthetically the non rail ones look better to me.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Mostly a personal preference. Same thing with a beavertail.

As for me, I am an opportunist. If you found a P220 and you like the DA/SA and don't mind it being a trade in, go for it. There are so many deals to be had out there that even I have found some. Just one of my P220s has a rail on it. I have nothing against having a rail, it is mostly because of the others are from the '80s & '90s.

The rail allows you to mount a laser, camera, light, muzzle weight, etc... or any combination if the unit so allows. If you don't foresee any of those, come say that the cleaner lines of a P220 without the rail is the way to go.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Rail. Big Grin

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
It's a matter of preference. I personally don't like rails but a few of my 220's only come with a rail, so I have both but I am partial to the non railed versions.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P220=No Rail

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A P220 balances better to me without a light. My personal preference is to have the light separate in my off hand.
I like the look of no rail best. If I found a nice P220 with a rail at a good price it would be a serious temptation.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said.... Personal preference.
Rail less / tail less for me.
And a rail on a 1911 is a sin and abomination.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I tend to like the non-rail look as well but I don't mind having a rail around. But I prefer the standard 1913 Picatinny over the default rounded thing that SIG puts on most of their models. I believe the P220 Combat is the lone version that still comes with the Pic profile rail while most if not all other railed P220s come with the regular SIG rounded rail.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I prefer "no rail" on all Classic Sigs, but, as people have said, if you want an accessory, then you are out of luck. Necessity then trumps preference in that case.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AAs mentioned above, personal preference.

I prefer non railed models for IWB. I tried carrying a 229R in a bladetech IWB holster for a while and I found the front corner of the rail wasn't covered by the holster and rubbed excessively.

For non concealed carry, OWB or strictly range use the rail is take it or leave it.

Given your intended use I'd look at the price, if the price is good I'd grab it.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
My bias as a rail-less P220 owner notwithstanding, given your limited use case, go without the rail.

Furthermore, I've never felt under-armed carrying a rail-less P220.

Range gun? Good price? No rail.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I prefer mine with a rail as the option to add a light is always welcome.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
As others have said.... Personal preference.
Rail less / tail less for me.
And a rail on a 1911 is a sin and abomination.

I am a sinner... prefer railed and tailed on Sigs and 1911s.
As stated, it's all personal preference.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For EDC (Milt Sparks Nexus IWB), no rail for me; opt for the 220 Carry SAS.
Dedicated bedside pistol is a LTT 220ST with light.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'd want a rail in case I wanted to mount a light. The only caveat for me is that I don't want one of those 220s with the damn hole in the slide. Can't stand that.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
No rail for me. I wonder what percentage of rails on pistols are actually used.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My preference in Sigs has always been without the rail.for me, the rail is useful in a bed-side gun, or while traveling away from home and then, only put the light or laser light on when necessary. Other than my P320s and Legion, all my Sigs are rail-less.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve always preferred a non-railed frame on my Sigs but after buying a P320 the Picatinny rail grew on me. When presented with the opportunity for a P220 Desert Black edition with Picatinny rail I didn’t hesitate to buy it. I’m now shopping for a light to make them more useful as home defense pistols. I don’t see an advantage for civilian concealed carry but maybe I’ll be enlightened.

Colonel, USAF (Ret)
NRA Life Member

Posts: 100 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post