SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shoot or sell?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoot or sell? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
To further the consensus already expressed by others, you should definitely shoot it. But, please don’t assume that such will equate to occasionally “taking the old girl out for a spin”. Instead, you should view that old example as fully equivalent (or better) than a new 226.

For a very small cost (DIY or sending it to Sig), you can have that 226 completely stripped and all springs replaced and critical parts inspected & re-assembled. You can also do a few resto-mods by installing a modern hammer strut assy, SRT kit and TB spring.

Long story short, keep it & shoot it. But also give it priority; there is no reason it can’t serve as your #1.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
If you sell it you will regret it.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought and sold firearms a few times and occasionally I regret some but most others I do not. If I find no use or purpose for it, it's gone for something I will use.

Posts: 6912 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally got a chance to take her out to stretch her legs and it was a blast - no pun intended. I do think I'll tune her up a bit more or send her in for the Sig Full Service Pkg - don't want the SSP because I don't want to replace the period correct sights with night sights. Don't they usually run a Father's Day special on that?

Posts: 183 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rogerwilco:
Finally got a chance to take her out to stretch her legs and it was a blast - no pun intended. I do think I'll tune her up a bit more or send her in for the Sig Full Service Pkg - don't want the SSP because I don't want to replace the period correct sights with night sights. Don't they usually run a Father's Day special on that?

Man, what a total waste of money. You have, as you said, a "NIB or LNIB 1984 P226", and the pic clearly indicates such condition. What's the point of sending it in. The FSP really is meant for well used unknown condition guns that deserve a tune-up (cleaning, inspecting, changing springs, etc...). Cleaning and inspecting you can do yourself. And part replacements? Your gun needs none.

Q

Posts: 26506 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn. Does $85 really warrant such scrutiny as to how someone chooses to spend it?

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
Damn. Does $85 really warrant such scrutiny as to how someone chooses to spend it?

I don't think it's the money that's the issue. It's a LNIB pistol that doesn't need a service. If it needs a trigger job, that's a whole other ball of wax.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:

Of course, OP can spend his money however he likes. "Scrutiny"? Oh please. Just offering a different perspective. Btw, you forgot to add the $55 round trip shipping to it. Wink But really, even if shipping is free, why throw away 85 bucks, when you don't need to.

Q

Posts: 26506 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn’t forget the $55 shipping, I just chose to ignore it.

$85 or $140? If the service provides someone with peace of mind, it’s an immaterial expenditure at either amount to that person.

It’s not my place to question how someone else spends his cash. We all live in glass houses.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Q and P220 Smudge are right. The gun is a new born and needs nothing. I wouldnt pound it like its a modern day plastic 9mm wonder but, definately burn some quality 115 and 124 grainers. Heaven sakes, that is the way they are supposed to be made. BTW, that is pretty much the nicest Interarms I have ever seen.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I wouldnt pound it like its a modern day plastic 9mm wonder but...

This was the stance that I was originally cautioning against (in my first post at top of page, before the sidetrack re $85).

Given the OP’s original question and intent, my advice was in the context of ‘keep & shoot - but only if you can be convinced that it can serve as your primary pistol’. Otherwise, the OP should sell it. A literal safe queen isn’t much different than the barely-used shooter when that minimal use stems from some concern as to longevity.

My suggestion of Sig’s FSP (or DIY version) was offered as a means of having the peace of mind that it truly can be viewed as a new pistol capable of high volume.

posted Hide Post
What's it worth ?

Posts: 4071 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for an update on what I'll do - and I appreciate all the opinions and advice - I plan to shoot it occasionally for fun at the range and tune it up myself. Probably get some new grips so I can leave the stock in perfect shape and get some grippier ones. Then, if I'm not satisfied with my own cleaning and tuning job, I'll send it to Sig for a tune-up. And, yes, people are wise to point out that the shipping charges can bite you on something like that but it depends on how much you value the service. When I sent one in the past and got night sites and tune up for one that really needed it and they sent back all the old parts and I could tell a significant difference - I felt it was well worth it. In this case, I'll enjoy working on this.

Posts: 183 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a follow-up. Brought it to the range and she was great to shoot. Love the grips and the overall look of it being so clean. I like the new ones too but this was a high point for me in their look and design. And it shoots damn well, too.