SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shoot or sell?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoot or sell? Login/Join 
posted
Lucky enough to come into this NIB or LNIB 1984 P226 and all original materials. Was looking to buy one for a shooter but happened into this via family. I've had older ones before but never this old with all the roll markings on the left side like that. I'm not the type to just put it in the safe so it's either shoot or sell. (I know it's up to me, etc., just looking to bounce this off some people for some sage advice.) pix at https://drive.google.com/drive...Wl9mU61H?usp=sharing

Posts: 183 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Toys are made to be played with, cars to be driven, wine to drink, guns to be.......

Fill in the blank and you have my answer and one of my life philosophies to boot, no extra charge. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7698 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would sell it to a collector and buy a used one to shoot. You should have money left over.

rambo

Posts: 243 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Many options, but, what were you original intentions. I have bought many Safe Queens as investments only. When I needed the money, they were there for me to sell. My other guns are to shoot.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of a collector, but a collector of shootable firearms. So I'm with cslinger: I'd shoot that bad boy Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Shoot now. Sell later. Win win.

Q

Posts: 26506 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's not obviously NIB, you couldn't really hurt it or devalue it much by shooting it some.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Looks like it has a little holster wear on it anyway - so I say shoot it! Big Grin

Posts: 12544 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Unless someone would pay a serious premium for this one, I wouldn't worry about shooting it.
On the other hand, if it is more likely to sit in your safe, I'd sell and get something more likely to be used a bit more.
Other than being older and unfired, they made quite a few of these so I'm not sure they will appreciate that much in our lifetime.

Posts: 9549 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All good advice, thanks. Enigmatic I like that “collector of shootable firearms” philosophy. And, like many of you said, these are for shooting…

Posts: 183 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Shoot it. If it has any premium value it is small. This isn't like an unfired Luger or an unfired 100 year-old SAA. It isn't really a collector's item. In 50 years it will just be one of dozens of wonder-nines from the time, and will just be some old gun. This will never become super-valuable.

So shoot it. Enjoy it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
While I have many that I have not shot in my collection, I’m willing to shoot anything I own, so I personally would keep it and not hesitate to shoot it. It might not be a gun I would be using for holster practice but the reality is guns are tools. I purchased a correct grade Garand which the collector who had it before me never shot. He almost looked jealous when I told him it would be shot. Treat it nicely and enjoy it.

Posts: 2973 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The good: Yellow box. White manual. Minty. 9mm Luger barrel instead of 9mm Para barrel.
The bad: You want to shoot it. It begs to be shot. 9mm Luger barrel instead of 7.65mm barrel.
The ugly: That you would have such a pistol and not shoot it.

Some early P226s are going for a good amount. While it is not a first year issue, yours is early enough.
Consider selling it to a collector or trading it toward an X-Five if you can't bring yourself to shoot it.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful 226. I would shoot the hell out of it and not think twice. Like 12131 said, shoot it and sell it later. It will still hold it's value being a West German with all the fixings.

The only gun I have that I won't shoot is my bright stainless 1993 Colt King Cobra. I've tried to get myself to shoot it but just can't.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I already have it and this definitely is not an ad. Just a discussion. And some advice and reminders. Thanks all.

This is why I try to always buy used. Hate getting the first scratch on the car, too. But this one is going to the range soon. She’s waited too long to stretch her legs.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
From past experience, do one or the other, not a little of both. Big Grin

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
From past experience if you even remotely like it, keep it. There WILL come a day where you will be thinking, I really wish I still had that X, Y or Z. If it was sitting in the safe even unused for long periods of time you will still be able to pull her out when that whim comes along.

So I stand by keep and shoot.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7698 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I was working at a gun shop. This kid brought a Colt SAA into the gun shop to sell. It was his grandfather’s who recently passed away. The kid said he got it pristine and unfired in the box. He took it out and shot a couple of boxes of shell through it. Said he didn’t care for it.

The moral of the story…just shoot it and enjoy.

Posts: 1354 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks to be in great shape. But it doesn't appear to be pristine. I'd have zero regrets in giving it regular workouts. When I bought my KE P228 I was confronted with a similar scenario. When I bought my HK PSP...same sort of thing. I shoot both, no regrets. You should exercise that P226 as well, with no worries whatsoever.

-MG

Posts: 2016 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's a fine piece of practical hardware...it's existence serves no purpose if not to be shot. Take it out, shoot it, and enjoy.

Posts: 8671 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post