SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Just got a Glock 19 gen5 MOS. Need recommendation on a cheap red/green dot
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got a Glock 19 gen5 MOS. Need recommendation on a cheap red/green dot Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I didn't plan on this but it kinda happened. This will not be a duty gun so I wanna make it a bit of a range toy for now. I really don't wanna spend 4/5/6+ hundreds of dollars.

I found some cheaper micro dots made by a company out of Oregon named ADE. Anyone heard of them? I find it a little confusing with all the different models.

I also know that Holosun is around but outta my price range for now.

Also, it seems as though the ADE ones may mount directly to my slide. I do need some guidance as to what I need a plate for or not.
I am also not so well versed in 3 MOA or 6 MOA. Which is best?

I do like the green instead of the red. The smaller the dot, the better in my opinion.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the price range for the dot? Holosun really is the way to go entry level. I may be able to get you into a 507c cheap enough for it to make sense. Feel free to email me at SigForum@bvarms.us

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
You can find RMR gen 1s for $300ish. I’d go that route

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
the smaller the MOA the smaller the dot,

If you have astigmatism you may see a blur, so you need to try out the RMR brands to see if any are better or worse, not much fun with a 6 moa dot that looks like the sun (halos) 3 moa might be better, just try them first.

Vortex makes a decent inexpensive RMR with a good customer service department, the first one I bought at a local store wouldn't adjust properly on it's vertical axis, shipped back and got a new one, that one works perfect.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone! DaBigBR I'll shoot ya an email.

I'd like to stay around or below $100. I have used the trijicon RMR on my buddies and really liked it. It is his duty gun.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a 100 dollar off brand red dot save your money and be happy with regular iron sights until you can afford a good one. Otherwise you’re just wasting the 100 bucks on a Shitty sight that will end up in a junk drawer

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ADE: unknown brand, likely low budget MIC stuff, bad customer reviews that highlight nonexistent customer support...no question I'd pass even if I were tied to a fixed budget. I too vote for saving for something better than spending on something that has a high potential for throwing away one's hard-earned money.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
You guys make a great point. If money wasn’t an object, what is the best electronic sight to get for this pistol?

posted Hide Post
Burris Fast Fire is a good buy. Deltapoint Pro is another option. I went Vortex so I can get more experience with dot sights before I go all in.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
You guys make a great point. If money wasn’t an object, what is the best electronic sight to get for this pistol?

RMR type 2 or aimpoint ACRO.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
For a 100 dollar off brand red dot save your money and be happy with regular iron sights until you can afford a good one. Otherwise you’re just wasting the 100 bucks on a Shitty sight that will end up in a junk drawer

I concur. I'd suggest Burris, Holosun, SIG, and Vortex as the entry point. Better to wait and spend a bit more than potentially just throw your $100 away.

quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:

There isn't one. Though if you look at what the cost is no object people are using it's mostly the RMR for duty guns and DPP for the competition guys. A lot of that has to do with size of housing/window. Comp guys want bigger than carry guns is what that basically comes down to.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I would also suggest saving your money and getting a Trijicon RMR or Holosun later over buying somethng cheap and it breaking.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3643 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I think I like the Vortex Venom 3moa. They seem to be sold out everywhere I look.

posted Hide Post
Yup, save up. Far less chance for making what sounds to be a regrettable choice. From the negative reviews I've read on ADE products, it seems very much that customer service and support is virtually nonexistent, and that their optics are a 'luck of the draw' scenario.

As for what I'd choose in a money no object scenario, that one's easy for me: Trijicon RMR. That's all that I will use. I've gotten used to the smallish sight window; use it enough and surprise, I got used to it. Generally it's a tough optic; I've banged them more than a few inadvertent times. As an aside: I wanted to like the Acro since I generally adore the toughness and longevity of Aimpoint optics, but its poor battery life sucks and frankly life sucks enough already to want to pile on even more 'sucky'.

As for the rest: Vortex may have a great warranty but I've already broken my Viper reflex (mounted on a damned RIFLE no less), so that comeback retort "and you will NEED it" has painfully rung true. No more of their MIC shitshow for me. Maybe I'm just a Made In America kind of snob, but I've had the most rotten experiences with Vortex optics. It's so bad that I won't even mount my freebie Venom. Burris Fastfire 2s have had issues with holding zero, especially with the windage pot; a number of customers had reported problems with theirs. The Fastfire 3's battery cap is the cheapest POS I've seen; a number of customers tried returning theirs, almost all had the aforementioned cap seriously jacked up. Then one of our more qualified guys jacked up the cap while setting up a new display model (we sold the previous one) when we were restocked on the 3. Seems to be the only real 'problem' with the FF3 however, at least that I've heard.

No first-hand with the Romeo 1, but we sell them and people seem to like them. Only heard about a couple of broken units so far from customers. We're about to get Holosun in for the first time; we'll find out soon enough on how that goes but they do seem to have a very positive presence in the optics world. Then again, so does Vortex and they've absolutely stunk it up for me and for a number of my shooting buddies. All MIC, so I'm going to be leery regardless. As for Leupold and their Deltapoint units: haven't carried the latest gen designs based on how poor the durability and reliability was on their first gen units and the rate of complaints and attempted returns on those were (being outside of our 30-day return window was the only thing that monetarily 'saved' us initially, but the reputation damage cause by us "selling such crappy stuff" still haunts us to this day). We briefly had the Nikon Spur but never heard feedback on how those went before Nikon gave up on gun optics and we blew out our remaining inventory on GB and eBay. All the remainder, no desire to test or carry unless proven to be 'good stuff' by others first.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Monoblok. I appreciate the post.

I was going to email you but didn't see one. If you wanna get rid of that venom please let me know.

If money didn't matter I'd go with the trijicon and never look back. But, for what I need currently the venom seems like a good middle of the road for now.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I ended up getting a Vortex Venom from PSA for under $200 a few weeks back. I like it a lot so far on my FN 509 MRD.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vortex Venom

The nice thing about the Venom is the top mounted battery access, no removing the sight to replace the battery, not that it's a weekly or monthly issue, the batteries last a long time, but if you store it, then it's wise to remove batteries from devices.

It's not the Trijicon RMR and it's not $500 either, starting out it's a good option, and you may need the warranty, I've bought two and I'm 1 for 2 on warranty use.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run a holosun 507c on my 19mos. Rock solid, the new ones don't need to be removed to access the battery and I prefer the reticle. Should be around $250 if you shop around just a bit.

I'll echo some other folks here, there's no point in buying a crap red dot. It will randomly die in you and your cash was wasted. Save your cash and either go rmr or holosun 50x.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
I mounted a Sig Romeo on my G45 MOS. Sig sells the adapter plate. I wanted to work with something that I already owned before dropping $500 on an RMR.

Posts: 3676 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Well, my office mate is a detective and came in and said that we needed to go by Academy Sports. I walked in and they had a Burris Fast Fire III on sale for $150!!

So, that is what I went with. I am hoping one of the MOS plates that came with my gun will work and I should be off to the races. Then, all I'll need are suppressor height sights.