SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 went Kaboom, well kinda, well maybe, well just look. **Update on Page 2** W/pics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 went Kaboom, well kinda, well maybe, well just look. **Update on Page 2** W/pics Login/Join 
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted
So couple weeks ago had a Saturday morning pistol league round 4 of 4, down to the last 20 rounds or so. Firing left handed single hand, last shot gun fired, but oddly the spent casing did not eject. Gun locked back and a simple huh well ok stuck my finger in and knocked the casing out. A second later went to go safe on the gun with a locked back slide for the next corse of fire and oh, wow the gun is locked and wow the slide won't move. Had three other with myself all try to move the slide to eight forward or locked back. Yeah not happening. Finished the course of fire with my Glock 43X MOS and got 2nd place, but I was ok with that. The stores gunsmith looked at it said maybe a bulged barrel from a squib load.

Ammo I was using was brand new Fiocchi 115GR FMJ in a white box made in Ozark, MO.

I'll be calling SIG to see if they will help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ThankGod4Sig,

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7905 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
If the barrel is bulged, you should be able to see it from the inside of the barrel.

Did you try to take off the back plate, remove the striker to see if you can get the slide off?

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think you would have been able to detect a squib load... possibly the rod & recoil Spring turned?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
possibly the rod & recoil Spring turned?

That'd be my first check.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Yes I’ve pulled the back plate no luck, the barrel doesn’t look bulged.

Never noticed if it was a light load on the squib.

Several of us have messed with the guide rod and moved it around its free moving, rotates and is not an issue.

Any think it could be the chassis?

Posts: 7905 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
possibly the rod & recoil Spring turned?
That'd be my first check.
aka the Death Jam

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
So the slide will not fully retract to allow the the slide lock to engage the slide cut? And therefore you cannot rotate/remove the slide take down lever.

Is this one of those models where the optic mounting screw come up from the bottom/inside of the slide?

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a squib that got pushed out. During our fall range, we had a squib that wasn’t detected, got pushed out by a follow up shot, and it locked the gun up as you describe. The bulge was really minor and hard to see with the naked eye.

I’ve seen squibs with just about every manufacturer. It’s a mass produced item, and it sadly happens enough that ammo companies usually buy a new barrel no questions asked. At least that’s been my experience in LE.

And technically it’s not a kaboom. Every 320 I have seen go usually blow the magazine out the bottom, always blows the extractor out, and usually cracks the grip module around where the serial number is.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried upside down? While shaking it?

I feel like it’s a locking block issue.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I am confused by a couple of comments here.

The P320 does not have a locking block. The barrel cams on the slide catch lever pin, and that’s held in place within the receiver by the trough of the grip module.

The gun in question is evidently a full size P320. The recoil spring guide of that model is round, and it doesn’t matter how it’s oriented on its long axis. If it rotates nothing changes. Or does “the rod & recoil Spring turned” mean something else?

I agree that the most likely explanation is that the barrel is very slightly bulged: it wouldn’t take much to prevent the slide from moving fully to the rear.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Is the recoil spring captured, or does the spring have exposed ends?

Rephrasing the question- are you using the stock RSA or have you moved to a non-captured system?

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
RMA printed, gun will be shipped back to SiG when I can find a box for it. No issues with Customer Service.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Will be interesting to find out what the problem was... full size p320's must have a different guide rod than the compact. On my compact the rod has to be oriented in a certain way. the back is not round but oblong.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
full size p320's must have a different guide rod than the compact.

They do.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that one of the models that has the red dot mounting screws underneath the slide? If so, could a loose screw have dropped down and jammed the action?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Is that one of the models that has the red dot mounting screws underneath the slide? If so, could a loose screw have dropped down and jammed the action?

That was my question also. Looking at the RD and the fact there is no rear sight, I'm inclined to think it is, and that's where my $$ is on why the slide if locked up

Joe

Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
So in order to take off the rear iron sights yes they detach from underneath. but the RDS does screw in from the top down. RMA to SIG is the FED EX system,

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

It shouldn't. The only screws on the underside of the cover plate are removed before installing an optic. If it was a screw jamming the slide, it would be one of the screws holding the optic on from the top causing it.

Posts: 4200 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, right. I forgot the cover plate screws disappear when you mount the RDO.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
If the barrel is bulged and the slide can't fully retract, isn't the only way to get the slide off by cutting it off? If so, would they replace the slide and barrel on their dime or expect the ammo manufacturer to foot the bill? Maybe get them to replace it with a PRO-CUT Slide with suppressor sights and a bare stainless finish. Might as well get an upgrade if you can.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post