SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig X-TEN hits low
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig X-TEN hits low Login/Join 
posted
New to the Sig forum. A quick backcheck on me...I love guns. I cut my teeth on traditional firearms like single action revolvers, bolt action hunting rifles and shotguns. I have been handloading my own ammo (thanks to my Grandfather's direction, whom was a Staff Sargeant in WWII) for 30+ years.

I've recently purchased two Sigs; an M17 my son and I share, and an X-TEN for me. The M17 has been flawless with all my handloads. My somewhat small issue is the POI of my new X-TEN. Every load projectile weight hits low. At 25 yards I am hitting between 4" to 2" low using the lollipop hold. It did come from the factory hitting a smidgen to the right but I used my sight pusher to bring the windage to a solid zero. The elevation is my issue. Shooting 155 grains to 200 grains hard cast. All low.

Anyone else have this issue and if so, what are you doing to either correct or compensate?

Posts: 3 | Registered: October 12, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rotty37
posted Hide Post
Most Sig Sauer pistols shoot in combat mode. POA and POI with your front sight. If you're shooting a lollipop set up, that's why you're shooting low.

Try sight image 2 or 3 and see what you get.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4451 | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In January (2022) I bought a new P226 Pro-cut, first time at the range, (5-10 yards) shot low maybe 4"? Had it outside at a gravel pit two weeks ago at around 18yds or so, both me and my friend (who is a better shot than me) seemed to shoot 6+ inches low!

The gun came from Sig with #6 sights both front and rear, I'm thinking #8's may be about right.
It's rather frustrating buying a new rather expensive gun and have it's sights way off.I also bought a new P365X that came #6 front and #8 rear, seems to shoot about 2" low.

I know Sig uses a sight picture that has POI behind the post, but I have been shooting for 50+ years using POI at top of post, old habits are hard to break.

Edit: I see Rotty37 posted sight image's, I use sight image 2 as my POA.

Posts: 78 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 18, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Since it is happening with all the different bullet weights I'd also say switch to figure 2 or 3 shown above.

My P320 full size hits using option 3. If that drives you nuts like it does me, you will probably need different sights, which I plan to get around to on mine someday.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, SIGs come with sights that are set up for the so-called Combat hold (#3). It was one of the more annoying aspects of SIG ownership (at least with their newer guns) right out of the box. Coming from the Glock world I've been used to a POA/POI hold (#2).

Having said that, now that red dot optics are becoming more prevalent in my own shooting life I customarily dial for a dot hold-over on the POA anyways, so in the end I've gotten used to the 'combat' sighting with handguns.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sight image 2 is for me.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
My P220 in 10mm has an adjustable rear sight. In my case, the rear sight was adjusted all the way down (bottomed out) before proper POI was achieved.
I contacted SIG customer service. They sent a prepaid shipping label and the P220 was returned to the factory.

SIG replaced the front night sight with something taller. They test fired it and returned the pistol with the gunsmith's notes. (and a test target)
It had been zeroed with 200 grain ammo after the taller front night sight replacement.

I prefer the 180 grain Hornady XTP, so a slight elevation adjustment was required.
The rear adjustable sight is now almost perfectly centered in it's total adjustment range of travel.
Having the rear adjustable sight centered allows the usage of a wide range of projectile weights (and velocity's) and still has sight adjustment range.

In your case, having fixed sights (and not using an optic) you will need to select a load and then change out front and/or rear sights to get the sight picture/POI you prefer.
In 10mm and having ammo loaded from mild to wild can cause additional sight picture/POI concerns, which is why I went with adjustable sights.
Look at Dawson for sight height choices and styles of front sights.
Another option is forget about changing out sight heights and just get a micro red dot optic.

Pictures and posts here, pages 66 thru 70 or so: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...35/m/4280076263/p/66

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1531 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have also always been told Sig uses image 2. When I bought my P226 in .357, it shot 6 inches low. I complained to Sig, they told me it was most likely not an issue with the gun.

After taking some training classes with OpSpec Training (JL Jones) I realized that I was compensating for expected recoil and dipping the barrel upon pulling the trigger.

I would suggest firing on a bench with a wood block, or other method of fixing the pistol in position.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always find these threads difficult to understand. Aim the gun in the manner you want. At the distances you want to shoot. With the ammo that matters. Get shitty groups that's on you. Get good groups then adjust/change the sights. Sig offers as well as the aftermarket options to make these guns do what you want from them to in terms of POI/POA. I'm going to aim the way I like, and get the sights to work for me, not the other way around. QED.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The X-Ten has a U-channel black rear sight. You might be putting the front dot at the bottom of the U and not aligning the sight tops. U channels are deeper than square channels, and in a square channel the front dot is usually touching the bottom of the rear sight notch.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If you want to use a lollipop sight picture, you will want a different set of sights. As said, SIG sets them up for sight picture two in the above selections.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I always find these threads difficult to understand.

Then move on to the threads you do understand, because clearly you have all the answers.

posted Hide Post
I've simply switched the sight pic to between Image 2 and 3. I'm right in the ten ring now. It's just going to take some getting used to after 30 years of lollipop hold (or Image 1 above).

posted Hide Post
Just to add another metric:

I put a Romeo 2 red dot on mine (dot inside circle).

I can punch the center of a target out at 15 yards like it’s boring, all day long.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thomis:
I've simply switched the sight pic to between Image 2 and 3. I'm right in the ten ring now. It's just going to take some getting used to after 30 years of lollipop hold (or Image 1 above).

As hrcjon mentioned, you could change the sights to something you like better. Nothing wrong with doing that.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incoherent
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, most Sig models change alignment of slide (and barrel) at moment of ignition. Look very carefully at rear of pistol when trigger is pulled.
The rear of slide will dip or rise very slightly, so even if you sight in perfectly by eye, dot or iron, The shot will be very slightly off. Showed to me first by Master who demonstrated it with my gun and several in squad.

Posts: 7 | Registered: October 12, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who’s the Masta?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post