SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Internal extractor life expectancy / availability?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Internal extractor life expectancy / availability? Login/Join 
posted
I'm probably overthinking this.

After years and years of use and probably ~10k rounds, I got some crud jamming up the firing pin safety on a 228, so I took the occasion to fully disassemble the slide and clean out everything.

I noticed the extractor had some wear on the tip. I tried to take pictures, but I don't have access to a camera good enough to capture what I'm looking at. The tip doesn't seem to be deformed, but it's definitely worn to the point of no longer being sharp. Also there's no finish on the tip.

I was about to just reassemble everything, but (this was a couple weeks ago) I got distracted and didn't return to the project until this evening. Then I started wondering-- Should I replace the extractor?

Then I started looking for these things. Does Sig even make them anymore? Will they ever? Where can I find one?

Like I said, I'm probably overthinking this. (I do that a lot.) But if I can't find any, I think I might want to get a handful, since I've got several Sigs that, one day, might need them.

Happiness is a warm gun.

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You're overthinking it. The recommended interval replacement is 20k rounds. https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/6801056451

My Ni P228, which had 25k rounds when its frame cracked, still has a fully functional upper, which now sits on top the P229 SAO Legion frame.

Q

Posts: 26412 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Does that count for springs as well?

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
^^^Does that count for springs as well?

According to the link, the original info was from 2008, the answer is yes. Obviously, that refers to the spring of the short extractor in the one-piece milled slide. The internal extractor of the folded slide does not have a separate spring, but acts as its own spring.

Q

Posts: 26412 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post