SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    changed extractor design on P365
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

changed extractor design on P365 Login/Join 
posted
Hi, the extractor on my P365 barely works, esp. with my reloads. It fails to grab the empty case about 2% of the time. Then I learned that Sig started using a new extractor. I've put in a new ('old' extrator) and springs and it still isn't reliable. The "new" extractor doesn't fit in my gun. I've decided I'm willing to buy a new gun but I can't find any clue as to what serial number starts the series with the new extractor design. I'd hate to get another with an "old" extractor. Can anyone help? Rob

Posts: 4 | Registered: November 26, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The current P365 extractor is different. The change came with the introduction of the P365XL, and P3565's produced after that use the new extractor. The two are not interchangeable.

I've never had an issue with any of my P365's, with extraction. I did on the P320's, and there was a change to that which is interchangeable, and did improve extraction.

Is your P365 greased?

Is there a particular case that's not extracting?

If this is happening chiefly with your reloads, I'd look at the reloads.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a red dot sight on it.
If so maybe the mounting screw is to long and hitting the extractor spring or something like that.

Posts: 403 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Give Sig CS a call. You may not need a new gun. Maybe they can mod the slide to accept the new style if that's the issue?

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would a P365 need to be modified for a new style extractor, when the old one works very well?

Anyone time I hear someone say that the problem occurs mostly with their reloads, it always piques my curiosity, because there are a lot of variables with reloads. Mixed cases? Powder? Charge? Bullet weight? Bullet type? Nature of crimp? Ammout of flare? Were the individual cartridges gauged before being used? Cartridge overall length? Case preparation? Full-length resized? Undersized? Bullet diameter (9mm comes in .355, .356, and .357, and occasionally in .358)?

If 2% of the cases are not extracting, that's 2/100. If "most of them" are reloads, how many are not? If most of those that are extracting are factory (98%), which ones are in use? How many total rounds are we discussing?

If the pistol has been fired 100 times and two failed to extract, and those two were reloads, I'd be inclined to suggest there isnt' a pistol problem.

If the pistol has been fired 3000 times and experienced 60 failures to extract, nearly all of which were reloads, again, I'd look at the reloads.

How many rounds have been fired through this pistol?

Are the rounds not extracting at all, or partial extraction? Is the extractor slipping off the case? Not all cases are the same, especially reloaded cases. How many times has the brass been fired, and what's the commonality between case types that are failing to extract? All useful information.

posted Hide Post
Thanks to those that replied. I have asked a Sig person via email about when the new extractor was introduced (and apparently Sig thinks something was wrong or they wouldn't have changed design) and I was told he "didn't know". He also said the new extractor would not fit in old gun (which I've confirmed). I shoot lots of 9mm and none of my other guns have ever had a problem with my reloads - only this P365 with an the old extractor. Until I figure out how/where to buy a new P365 which I know has the new extractor I'll just continue to not use it.
Thanks again...

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Confused SIG didn't offer a fix at all? You did mention that you had problems with factory ammo, right?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The takaway for me is that Sig will not reveal the SN of the P365 when the new extractor started being used. All I can do is tear down any particular gun to see if it has a new extractor or not. The new articulated extractor (it can rotate but the old design can't) is surely better; I'd like to try it out.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Confused SIG didn't offer a fix at all? You did mention that you had problems with factory ammo, right?

My guess is they will be of no help due to the “reloaded ammo” if this was happening/repeatable with factory ammo I would hope they would help.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
I would just ask SIG to fix the issue without specifying what you think the problem is.

It's under warranty and it doesn't function; that's all.

Odds are good they will just replace the slide with the new extractor.

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robp365:
The takaway for me is that Sig will not reveal the SN of the P365 when the new extractor started being used. All I can do is tear down any particular gun to see if it has a new extractor or not. The new articulated extractor (it can rotate but the old design can't) is surely better; I'd like to try it out.

I seriously doubt that sig "won't reveal" that information. The change came about with the P365XL, and with that development, the same change was made to P365's.

Customer service at Sig tends to know very little, and when I've called with questions about the extractor change for the P320, for example, the customer service representative firmly told me that he'd been shooting for "two years," and had never heard of such a thing. Inexperienced, uninformed, probably minimum wage, I wouldn't take their remarks as indicative or what Sig will or won't do, or as some sinister plot to withhold confidential information.

"Barely works" means 2% of the time, and "especially with your reloads," wouldn't concern me much, as I wouldn't be shooting your reloads.

What other pistols do with your reloads doesn't matter much; it's a straw-man argument, given that other pistols are not P365's. And not this P365.

When you say it "barely works," then say that "barely works" means 2% of the time, I'm having a hard time understanding how 2/100 failures to extract could possibly be interpreted as "barely works."

When you say it's "especially with my reloads," but then won't say how many of those 2% were (or were not) your reloads, the efficacy of "barely works" begins to suffer.

How many rounds have been fired through this pistol?

How many factory rounds failed to extract?

How many reloads failed to extract?

You didn't answer any of the previously asked questions, so one can only respond to what you have said. What you have said doesn't indicate a firearm problem.

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi, the extractor on my P365 barely works, esp. with my reloads. It fails to grab the empty case about 2% of the time. Then I learned that Sig started using a new extractor. I've put in a new ('old' extrator) and springs and it still isn't reliable. The "new" extractor doesn't fit in my gun. I've decided I'm willing to buy a new gun but I can't find any clue as to what serial number starts the series with the new extractor design. I'd hate to get another with an "old" extractor. Can anyone help? Rob

Newer slides marked with "0212". Any 365 on the shelf today new is using the new design. The changeover was made over two years back.

Did you buy this 365 new? When you replaced the extractor, did you also replace the spring and spring insert?

Have you tried good factory ammo before making any changes?

If you really want the newer design, look into just replacing the slide with a new one, possibly the newer X design.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:

I re-read this and had to ask what, exactly, is the gun doing that 2% of the time?

The extractor doesn't come into play when the gun is fired; the recoil of the shell pushes the slide back and the ejector bumps it out.

The extractor is used to "extract" live rounds from the barrel when the slide is manually racked.

Picture of sigp6
posted Hide Post
That would mean you’d be ejecting the spent case through the side of the chamber. When the gun is fired and the slide comes back the barrel stops first. The slide continues on and the extractor pulls the spent casing out of the chamber which causes it to hit the ejector and launch it.

Every once in a while I like to masturbate a big word into a conversation - even if I'm not sure what it means.

Posts: 38 | Registered: May 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigp6:
That would mean you’d be ejecting the spent case through the side of the chamber. When the gun is fired and the slide comes back the barrel stops first. The slide continues on and the extractor pulls the spent casing out of the chamber which causes it to hit the ejector and launch it.

Sort of.

The barrel does indeed stop but the casing is still pushing the slide back until it hits the ejector, so the extractor doesn't really have much to do with it.

posted Hide Post
My P7 doesn’t need no stinking extractor. So there. Lol

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
My P7 doesn’t need no stinking extractor. So there. Lol

Neither does my Beretta Jetfire… Cool

posted Hide Post
Thanks to all that responded. Again, I have other 9mm guns I've been shooting for at least 5 years (~150 rounds/month) each, all my reloads with no issues (like "type 3" I think it's called) failures to extract. But this P365 has this failure averaging twice per 100 rounds. I don't know what it will do with factory ammo but surely it will do better (I can't afford to find out at recent factory ammo prices).

The failure: round goes off and leaves the case in the chamber which is immediately jammed by a new round from the magazine. Pull the mag and rack, rack, rack and the round just stays there. It's got a brand new extractor and spring. I think the root cause is the slightly smaller and worn edge on the old case (this doesn't bother my 1911 9mm or my Kahr or my LC9s). I think this marginal performance is the reason Sig went to a new extractor design.

From this Sig group I think I've learned I need to buy a new 365XL which apparently has the new extractor. Not sure how I'll get rid of this old one... Again, thanks all

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think this marginal performance is the reason Sig went to a new extractor design.
Hang around here for a while, you'll surely learn SIG does a whole lot of things for a whole lot of reasons. Sometimes compatibility, sometimes as a fix, sometimes to save money on a design, sometimes just because they can. Razz

quote:
From this Sig group I think I've learned I need to buy a new 365XL which apparently has the new extractor. Not sure how I'll get rid of this old one... Again, thanks all

As noted, no need to purchase an entire new weapon, you should be able to purchase just a new slide.

As for the old slide (or weapon, whatever the case), I'd be willing to bet you can recoup at least part of your expense by listing it in the classifieds here. Just make full disclosure: be honest and state that it never functioned 100% with your reloads. Frankly, you may be able to get a new slide here in the classifieds... Try posting a WTB(Want To Buy).

Personally, I wouldn't do any of that stuff until I let SIG take a look at it, what do you really have to lose by sending it back under warranty?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks to all that responded. Again, I have other 9mm guns I've been shooting for at least 5 years (~150 rounds/month) each, all my reloads with no issues (like "type 3" I think it's called) failures to extract. But this P365 has this failure averaging twice per 100 rounds. I don't know what it will do with factory ammo but surely it will do better (I can't afford to find out at recent factory ammo prices).

The failure: round goes off and leaves the case in the chamber which is immediately jammed by a new round from the magazine. Pull the mag and rack, rack, rack and the round just stays there. It's got a brand new extractor and spring. I think the root cause is the slightly smaller and worn edge on the old case (this doesn't bother my 1911 9mm or my Kahr or my LC9s). I think this marginal performance is the reason Sig went to a new extractor design.

The P365 does not have marginal performance.

Your post does clarify your original post, somewhat. It appears that 100% of your shooting in your P365 is using your reloads; you have no basis for comparison, as you indicate that you haven't shot anything else in that pistol.

As a reloader, you should understand that every pistol is different, and reloads for one pistol are not necessarily appropriate for another.

You indicate that you've been shooting for a relatively short period of time, and shoot a minimal amount. 150 rounds a month isn't much. What you didn't indicate is how many months you've shot the P365. Is this a month of shooting, or 12 months of shooting, or more? Again, how many rounds have been fired through that pistol?

You've declined to answer any other questions about your reloading or pistol.

Nobody in this thread has suggested that you need to buy a new P365XL to solve your problem (although buying another handgun is never a bad thing).

Based on what you've posted so far, I'd have no issues shooting your pistol, and wouldn't expect any problems.

Re-racking your pistol repeatedly isn't going to solve the extraction problem and may aggravate it. I suspect the issue with your very limited number of failures to extract is either a case preparation issue or a crimp issue.

If you're cycling the slide repeatedly ("rack, rack, rack"), you may be pushing the expanded case deeper into the chamber and making the issue worse, while expecting the extractor to snap over the case rim.

The questions asked previously regarding your reloads, and the problem, were not frivolous or arbitrary. They were specific to your problem. Your mind is already made up on this issue, based on "none of my other pistols do it." This is, of course, irrelevant, as none of your other pistols are a P365.

You shouldn't need a new slide, or a new firearm, and I very much doubt there's anything wrong with the one you have now. You're best selling it, as you're not satisfied, but that doesn't address the problem, which will exist after the pistol is gone.