SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best one gun or combo?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best one gun or combo? Login/Join 
posted
I have a Shield and a 365 XL RXZ. I carry the shield (conceals easier) and use the Sig for HD. I have been thinking about the advantages of moving to two guns (one carry, one HD) from the same manufacturer. Also, I wonder if the 365 XL RXZ is adequate for carry and HD or if I should add a larger, HD gun. Comments welcome.

Posts: 9 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: July 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My most important consideration is, will I have it available if needed?
I carry my Shield 1.0 w/8 round +2 magazine on me everywhere, including home. That gives me a capacity of 11 rounds. The exceptions are showering and sleeping.
I have a G19 nearby as a back up plan if needed.
They are not the same brand but you could have a M&P replace the Glock if that's important. Unless you have guns that use the same magazine, I don't see that (same brand) as a big deal for myself.

Posts: 9548 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am boring and haven’t embraced the itty bitty wave.

I still think a “G19 sized” semi auto is the best of all worlds.

Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7698 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
There is no "best" just what works best for you and that is a personal decision based on experience and results.

Personally I favor a bigger pistol for home defense like a SIG P226 or HK P30L. More capacity and I just shoot them better and enjoy shooting them more which means a lot of range time with them.

Best of luck in your quest.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I am boring and haven’t embraced the itty bitty wave.

I still think a “G19 sized” semi auto is the best of all worlds.

Chris.

I agree with you but in many circles you would think that such pistols are pretty much obsolete these days. Roll Eyes

If I could have just one it would probably be my Glock 19.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Best"?
It's a subjective opinion. What works for you might not work for me, and seriously won't work for "Member X", but "Member Y" has been carrying that for years and loves it.

At work, when I was being proactive, it was a G-21 and a G-30.
I like the combo of the G-17 and G19.

I toyed around with the idea of a G-43 and a G-43X.

My common theme was interchangeable magazines; I could use a G-21 magazine in my back-up G-30. Same manual of arms as well. Keep in mind that I carry both at work. Now I'm down to just one on my belt, and the occasional AR in the trunk.

If the shield conceales well for you, stick with that. Unless you find another gun that fits your CCW needs. That 365XL is going to do the job for home defense. Toss a light on there, a few extra magazines with good ammo, and you're good to go. Now, if you WANT to buy another Sig, we're not going to argue with you!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been thinking about the advantages of moving to two guns (one carry, one HD) from the same manufacturer.

With the two guns you've listed, outside of magazine interchangeability, I think it's a moot point. Both are striker-fired, with basically the same manual of arms. I don't think there's an inherent advantage to having a Shield and a full size M&P, over say a 320FS or Glock 17.

If you're confident enough in the 365 for HD (capacity, shootability, accuracy, etc.) then rock on!

Personally, for home defense, I'm looking at full size, high capacity pistols and long guns.
My nightstand pistol is a Beretta 92A1 with a X300 on it and 18+1 of 147gr HSTs. HD long gun is a DDM4V7 with a dot, light, and sling on it in the safe.

I think you have your carry pistol figured out. But for home defense, I'd personally go bigger than a 365, if funds/situation allows.

Posts: 12544 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
On duty - Glock 19 MOS with RMR. Off duty it’s a G43 or 43X - with a .357 revolver when the itch strikes. However I stick to Glocks for the most part. You could always incorporate a P320 for something bigger…

Posts: 1970 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curious about how the shield carries easier? Not questioning you just want to understand. I would think the xl is same or smaller than shield though you have the Romeo zero which might come into play.

Thinking of getting some 15 round 365 mags with +2 mag guts, 18 rounds is pretty good, then maybe a trl6 added to the mix

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were you, I would make a list of what you specifically are looking for in a pistol. Think of this list as a combination of its specific role (CCW, bedside gun, etc) for you as well as specific criteria (compact, midsize, concealability, single stack, double stack, etc) you require. Be as detailed as you can. Once you’ve come up with a list of criteria important for you, I would then number them according to their priority with #1 being most important to the last number being least important.

The next step would be to begin evaluating each pistol under consideration. I would use a sheet of paper for each pistol for which I would draw a line right down the center of the paper from top to bottom. On the top left I’d write “Pro” & on the top right I’d write “Con.” Then review each of your criteria and check whether it’s a pro or con for the pistol under consideration.

Writing this down has several benefits such as it forces you to seriously think about what you want. It also helps when you have second thoughts about your decision because you can pull out your notes to verify why you made a specific choice and not another. I would also recommend that once you make a choice don’t look back. Commit yourself to your choice. Train hard so that you become a master of your choice.

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll find something that works for you. The hard part will be staying content with your choice!

Posts: 192 | Registered: June 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for your time and insights. It is great food for thought. I’ve had my shield with tlr6 for years, generally with 8 in mag, 1 in the chamber and 10 in extra mag. The Sig has a Tactical Development rail and Olight Mini 2, limiting holster options somewhat. I carry both AIWB. I shoot both effectively, practicing up to 20 yards. When I carry the Sig I use the 12 round mag +1 and carry another mag of 12 or 15. The Sig’s Romeozero and corner of the handle tend to print. I started thinking about larger guns because my holsters, when best concealed, leave little room above my belt to grasp the gun. If I adjust the ride height the Sig especially tends to lean forward. At my LGS recently I tried on both Tier 1 and TRex holsters with larger guns and, at least at first blush, seemed comfortable, easy to draw from, and about as concealable as my own. My current considerations:
1) keep what I have. Practice drawing and dry fire and red dot first-target acquisition.
2) replace the Olight with a tlr6, giving me a common light/ laser set up and higher-tier holster options. ( not sure that makes sense with a red dot).
3) Carry the Shield with expanded capacity mags and replace the Sig with a full size home defense gun, likely a m&p 2.0, which feels like a large Shield.
4) get extensive therapy to stop over-analyzing my situation.

Based on number 4 above, additional input is not necessary. You have been a big help and I think the suggestion to clarify my objections and priorities is a good one. Again, thanks to all.

Posts: 9 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: July 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I’m at work or wearing a shirt I’m too fat for I’ll carry my G43. Otherwise it’s my G19 with a tlr 7. The G19 is also my night stand gun where I’ll pop in a 33 round mag into it at night. My tavor isn’t far away either.

Posts: 3372 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
After years and years of trying every gun conceivable, I settled with the G19. Or the S&W model 60...depends on clothing.

When I was on duty I had to carry the P226, but as an armorer in the service I found that KISS rules the day. The Glock may be ugly and blocky but it just works.

When I was a cop I always wanted to carry a 1911 because I love them, they just fit me right and I used one in the service and I use a STI 2011 for USPSA. When I retired and the policy no longer applied to me I actually bought an STI (double stack) commander sized 9mm....well the seller tried to sneak in a used gun on me and this version is no longer sold by STI. I returned the used gun and realized the Glock 19 does all I wanted. And I already have two of them.

Don’t get me wrong if Mrs Mike gave me a commander 1911 with a aluminum frame in any caliber I’d carry it daily, but I’m not gonna spend $1200 for something that my G19 already does.

If you have one that fits all your requirements, then use it.

For me the G19 fits
-small
-lightweight
-always works
-simple
-bigger than .380

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Alternate G19/w g17 Mag w/+2 extension and SIG 229 w/226 mag with +2 extension.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3809 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SavannahMan:

4) get extensive therapy to stop over-analyzing my situation.

Based on number 4 above, additional input is not necessary. You have been a big help and I think the suggestion to clarify my objections and priorities is a good one. Again, thanks to all.

Here's a quick insight to the wonders of the Sig Forum:
ANY question you have will get answered, and you'll be hard pressed to stump this group. You need a left handed 1/37th pre WW2 monkey wrench? you'll get it here, directions on how to fix the flange bolts on the Space Station? we gotta a guy for that too.

You need therapy? Yup, you've come to the right place. Just lay down on the couch and let us know what's going on in your noggin. It's good therapy too! It's also cheap, pretty much free!
But the guns that you're going to buy is what gets expensive! Wink

Heaven forbid you get into cars, motorcycles, bourbon, bbq, watches or DIY projects, THATS when you start to shell out the real cash!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I got carried away and it is partially the Sig forums fault... but I really like the Sig P239. Now why that is pertinent is I really like consistency ... and so do I not only carry one in the 357 Sig caliber but I have several of the same loaded and hidden around the house.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I hear you about your preference for a particular gun. That’s how I feel about my Shield. I never really warmed up to the 320 w Romeo1 I used to own and the 365xl feels similar….just not as natural an aim for me. Although, the more I work on the draw and optic acquisition the better it’s feeling. My old eyes benefit from the dot, for sure. The right answer for me might be a full size m&p for HD that feels a lot like a large Shield, with an optic.

posted Hide Post
Phased plasma rifle in the 40 Gigawatt range or a Glock 17

Like Blume9mm, I do really like the P239.

Posts: 6631 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
When I’m at work or wearing a shirt I’m too fat for I’ll carry my G43. Otherwise it’s my G19 with a tlr 7. The G19 is also my night stand gun where I’ll pop in a 33 round mag into it at night. My tavor isn’t far away either.

I do this as well for the same exact reasons. I think this is solid advice for the OP's question.

The bigger HD gun just makes sense, as does the same manual of arms between the two.

For me, the bigger HD gun (G19, G17, G45 9mm, etc.) allows me to keep a 33 round magazine in the gun since I live in a very rural county with very limited LE presence after 2AM. It could be 30-40 minutes before help gets to me, so the bigger Glock with the 33 round magazine gives me some sustainability. The bigger gun also gives you better recoil control and the ability to mount a powerful weapon light (X300U, TLR-1 HL) for HD, if you so choose.

Posts: 1094 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I have other Glocks, but anymore, the only one that spends any time out of the safe is my Gen 4 19. It does everything. Carry it all day, every day, all year round, and when I come home, I attach a TLR-1 HL and it’s the nightstand gun. Happy sticks in the center console and door pocket for road trips. Life really can be that simple.

Posts: 17220 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post