SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best one gun or combo?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best one gun or combo? Login/Join 
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
Walther PPS for carry, Sig P226 for home defense. Works for me. And I think that's the important part, what gun(s) are you safe and comfortable with, and what guns can you shoot accurately?

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
"Best one gun or combo?"

In regards to your question, at our house; its one gun for both myself and my wife. My current EDC gun is a Shadow Systems MR918, it replaced the Glock 19 that I switched to back in 2005. Before that it was my duty/off-duty SIG DA/SA pistols. My MR918 is on my hip from sunup to sundown, then it goes on the nightstand.

My wife's EDCs a Glock 26, same thing - sunup to sundown, then it goes on her nightstand.

It works for us, but I know that it might not work for everyone. Its good to have choices.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best is very subjective. Best as most muzzle energy, fastest round, greatest expansion, highest capacity, least recoil, smallest flash, quietest report, least expensive, most ergonomic, most options tocustomize, smallest, most accurate, most reliable, easiest to find, best warranty, best support, most used, most holster options, light capability, best suppressor host, or other?

There are a lot of good firearms available today. All can be shot with confidence. There are a lot of lesser firearms today that may be the least expensive, but are not the most reliable, or particularly great in any other category.

There's an old saying, "beware the man with one gun, as he probably knows how to use it." Proficiency trumps most everything else, as "it's not the indian, but the arrow" which makes the difference. If you can reliably hit where you aim and do it quickly enough to be faster than the threat, you're probably in good shape. If you can't, you're a target.

My bedside pistol is typically a Glock 21 with a light and a suppressor. The suppressor is there for flash and because most likely if that pistol gets shot in the night, it will be indoors. Every little bit counts. THe same pistol isn't my choice for concealed carry, and that choice depends on the season and the clothing, and the mode of carry. For ankle carry, I like a G26 or P2000SK. For pocket carry, a P365, S&W 642, or a G43. For waistband carry, a G32, and sometimes, a P320. There are plenty of good choices; find something that works for you and use that.

I have a 12 guage nearby, and a couple of 9mm carbines. The MPX takes proprietary mags, but the other takes glock magazines which dovetail nicely with a nearby G17 or G19. Options.

Beware the guy with one gun. I have a few, so I'm not so sharp. But I'll still probably hit whatever breaks through that door, regardless of which one gets used. Meanwhile, I leave the light on, and prefer that nothing gets in.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I am boring and haven’t embraced the itty bitty wave.

I still think a “G19 sized” semi auto is the best of all worlds.

Chris.

I like itty bitty when I am in shorts etc (Seecamp LWS32)

medium sometimes (J frame)

and for those times when I can conceal easier,, like you a 'Commander sized' pistol is about perfect, (I carry a P6 or P228/229 or Colt Commander)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Always been a fan of small/medium/large of a single platform. Such as a HK P30sk/P30 pair. Or a Glock 26/19/17, or just Glock 26/17. I’m a big fan of magazine-interchangeability. Say you carry the 26, and the 17 is in the safe. Well keep a 33rd 9mm Glock magazine in night stand. Another one stashed in your vehicle. And in these times, when ammo is scarce and $$$$, it’s nice when you’re shooting fewer rounds and fewer visits, all the training is on a single platform. Training on the subcompact works for the compact or full size. Controls all in the same place.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12661 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post