SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pulling back the reins on modern pistols.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pulling back the reins on modern pistols. Login/Join 
posted
Is anybody else getting sick of the modern pistols offerings? I get it; the P365 and comparable firearms from other manufacturers are the pinnacle of concealable weapons for concealed carry. They are great. I own several variations of them.

Recently, I rekindled my love for a gun that most people would consider obsolete, the P239 in 40 S&W. Comparing the P239 and p365 on paper leave no question as to which one edges the other out. More rounds, lighter, smaller, cheaper, shoots well. It checks all of the boxes. Except one. I like the p239 much much better.

I really like well made firearms. The P232 and Walther PPK are about as cool as it gets. Heck, the old Polish P-64s have a classiness to them that modern polymer framed guns couldn't touch. Classic Sigs just can't be beat in ergonomics.

And don't get me started on calibers. The gun community is treating .40 like the Democrats treat Donald Trump. The .40 is a great caliber. It is better than 9mm when it goes toe-to-toe or round-to-round. I get it, cheaper, more rounds, less recoil.... But not better.

So maybe I'm just stubborn. Does anyone else here get sick of polymer like I do? I have more than 20 polymer framed pistols that I just look at unenthusiastically. But when I handle and fire a P239 or P226, it think, "this is a real firearm."

Posts: 553 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Fell out of bed this morning? Razz

Q

Posts: 27619 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone else here get sick of polymer like I do?

Not I. They may not have that twinge of specialness you seek, but they do what they're designed, engineered, assembled and meant to do. They're tools and very capable ones at that. The fact that they remind one of their utilitarianism is not a bad thing as I see it.

-MG

Posts: 2226 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I got tired of polymer a while back.

Bought an AXG grip and was all better.

Wink

Posts: 9429 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an all-steel 1911 9mm, a .40 S&W Browning Hi-Power and some K-frame Smith and Wessons when the plastic-framed, strker-fired P320C and P365X needs rest.

I keep the Browning loaded with 180-grain hard-cast FN bullets. It's just as effective as a S&W .44 Special or .45 Colt with Keith SWCs for use in the boondocks here. I have eleven rounds on tap rather than six.

Posts: 43 | Location: eastern Kansas | Registered: April 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I get it. I don't particularly enjoy it either, but the plastic stuff does have its place as a working gun. The older steel and DA/SA stuff is more fun, but the plastic fantastics are cheaper, more practical to carry, and while I hate to admit it, easier to shoot. I've been playing with my red-dot equipped P226 a lot lately, and while I'm very confident with it, shooting it side by side on a timer with my similarly set up full-size P320, the P320 wins every time. Emotionally it's not the outcome that I want, but the timer and targets don't lie. Times and numbers aren't everything, and there are other reasons I still favor the DA/SA gun, but it's hard to argue that at least in the area of performance the polymer striker design has an edge.

I'm at a point where I have all the polymer striker stuff that I need for work (including spares), so my new purchases tend to be specialized or niche items, or just stuff that interests me. This hobby doesn't have to be completely about the best choice for self defense...it's ok to have fun with it too.

I do have to disagree about the .40. I don't like it. I've had a couple blow case heads off, which has never happened to me with any other caliber. That included new factory ammo as well as some reloads that were well within the book range, and in two different guns. I never got hurt, and nothing was permanently damaged, but IMO that cartridge is running at the margins of its pressure capabilities and that makes me uncomfortable. When you also factor in the cost and capacity considerations, 9mm just makes more sense.

Posts: 9249 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I probably don't belong in this thread. You guys will probably kick me out. But I look at my handgun with the same amount of passion as I view my hammer or screwdriver. It's a tool that works and needs to work when I use it. Smile I don't need Snap-on but definitely avoid chicom. Just need function and reliability. No passion otherwise.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No kicking from me, konata88. When I was 20-something, I had all the newest stuff at the NRA or Shot Show within a few months of release. I used little of it well, and some of it failed spectacularly. Sticking to what works, and year-after-year, works. :-) There's sort of a low-boil passion there. Maybe fondness or just being practical is a better way of describing it.
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I probably don't belong in this thread. You guys will probably kick me out. But I look at my handgun with the same amount of passion as I view my hammer or screwdriver. It's a tool that works and needs to work when I use it. Smile I don't need Snap-on but definitely avoid chicom. Just need function and reliability. No passion otherwise.

Posts: 43 | Location: eastern Kansas | Registered: April 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Similar feelings.

I have my plastic pistols, and they have a role. But, I don't care much about them.

Like architecture, there is value beyond raw utility. Beautiful architecture is forever. Utilitarian architecture is bulldozed the moment it becomes profitable.

Ask yourself what plastic pistol was made 25 years ago that you'd sacrifice to own today. I submit that 25 years from now, the situation will be similar. 2024-vintage P365's will populate the bargain bin. A 2024-vintage P210 will have increased in value.

Posts: 487 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
@Cous2492, I get it brother, I really do.
As someone mentioned already, I too look at my plastic carry guns as day to day tools which need to be maintained for proper function, but like a tool they get wear marks and scuffs during their intended usage.

On the other hand, I recognize that those same ugly plastic firearms really represent the epitome of design for self defense firearms as of today. Shit, think back 25yrs ago of the heavy chunks of steel we had to carry around, and I then appreciate these lightweight modern pistols we can pick from.

With that said, I too many times yearn for something steel & walnut to tuck behind my hip just for the sheer satisfaction of ownership.
Many days I carry my old S&W 39-2, or my 1911 .45.
And as a matter of fact I recently bought a Springfield SA35 for exactly that reason, just to scratch the HiPower itch. Yesterday I bought a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2
(from Vintagegunleathertoday.co )to carry it in.

And I wholeheartedly agree about the 40Cal.
I understand both sides of the conversation, but I still feel the 40 packs a better punch, and my G27 is with me frequently, especially if we are out in the woods where big hairy four legged critters live.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GCE61,

Posts: 3586 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
They each have their place to me. I am down to 1 plastic fantastic, my Shield 45 which is my typical EDC. Sometimes, however, my Combat Commander .45 gets holster time. Everything else I have is steel or aluminum framed. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to picking up another polymer frame / striker pistol, I just haven't had one "speak to me" lately.

Posts: 2058 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I would say that, but I've never taken my new screwdriver out right away to try out. I've never called up a buddy to come try out this sweet screw driver I recently bought and fell in love with. I've never taken a picture of my screw drivers and posted on a tool forum. I've never bought aftermarket parts to make my scewdriver more ergonomic or screw faster.
Big Grin

Posts: 1796 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Glad to see a 40SW and hammer fired classic admirer. Hats off to you sir!

Posts: 2191 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Tools, Toys, and kinetic art. Some folks only have a desire or use for one some have a passion for all three.

I fall in the later camp. Give me polymer for all day handling and use but give me metal and wood for pure enjoyment that is still perfectly viable but requires more care.

I do generally agree that guns don’t seem to have the “personality” they once had. Better tools to be sure but lesser toys so to speak.

I also am one of those backwards idjits who still likes .40. I don’t have bunch of ‘em’ but I like the ones I have.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7889 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I don't particularly enjoy it either, but the plastic stuff does have its place as a working gun. The older steel and DA/SA stuff is more fun, but the plastic fantastics are cheaper, more practical to carry, and while I hate to admit it, easier to shoot.
This sums it up for me as well. My heart likes all-metal hammer guns, but my head tells me to grab a polymer striker gun.

The first gun I ever bought was a W German P226, which I still own. For many years, I thought Glocks were overrated, over-hyped, and mostly bought by people who want to own a gun but don't care to learn very much about them or the finer points of shooting. When the Gen5 Glocks came out, I caved in, and as Para says, "You will buy a Glock."

I'm fully invested in the Glock platform now. Someone on SF has the tag line, "Everyone wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock in the streets."

Posts: 3272 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would say that, but I've never taken my new screwdriver out right away to try out. I've never called up a buddy to come try out this sweet screw driver I recently bought and fell in love with.

While I don't take it that far, I am pretty particular about tools. I only buy one type of screwdriver or wrench, and I've got a couple of well-used hammers that I'd cry a bit if I lost. Use something enough and you get attached to it, especially if it's well made and provides consistent, reliable service.

Posts: 9249 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
365 axg legion, metal frame, the grip is incredible + 17 rounds, price tag is a little steep but that quickly goes away. I have zero interest in any of the older sigs as I have own just about every different model at one time same with glocks sold them all. I have a hunch the new fuse will be a legion in the future. I keep only the guns I enjoy shooting right now it's the 365 tacops and the legion.

Posts: 5678 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have guns back to the Civil War, 58 cal Springfield muzzle-loader.

My 1938 Winchester Model 70 is light years away from most any modern rifle, under $2800. I like older firearms.

I’m also still in the 40 S&W camp, works for me.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Whatever floats your boat. Still people around that don't consider anything but revolvers real pistols.

On a given range trip I will have a metal DA/SA, a poly frame DA/SA, and a striker fired. Love them all.

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I reviewed the Sig pistols listing recently and thought of all the times I’ve heard or thought myself, wish this gun was longer, shorter, held more rounds, you name it. I don’t think you can say that about the 365 line, and probably 320 as well.
The classics were from a different motivation and time.

Posts: 283 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post