SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    230SL reliability
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

230SL reliability Login/Join 
posted
Hi all I have a question regarding the 230 I have a west German model that I love took me a while to find it seems to be in great shape my question is should I be worried about replacement parts ? I know its hard to find them but to they really fail that often ? And would you recommend any parts I should keep an eye out for . Thanks in advance

Posts: 128 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Your biggest concern should be that little spring on the side of the ejection port.... that baby can jump out when you break the pistol down and it will never be seen again,,, and they are hard to find.... also.... NEVER break the trigger group down... I did this once and it took me hours to figure out how to get it back together.... and the exploited diagram of the P230 is not the same and the P232... at leas the trigger group is different....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Your biggest concern should be that little spring on the side of the ejection port.... that baby can jump out when you break the pistol down and it will never be seen again,,, and they are hard to find.... also.... NEVER break the trigger group down... I did this once and it took me hours to figure out how to get it back together.... and the exploited diagram of the P230 is not the same and the P232... at leas the trigger group is different....

Sage advice. I think I lived the same nightmares.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The slide catch lever spring can disappear if you’re not careful. The only difference between the 230 and 232 is the hammer reset spring and the hammer to accommodate it.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8768 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I doubt you'd see failures often, if ever. After doing it once, I've never seen another reason to fully disassemble mine.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17293 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned a number of P230s and P232s. I've never experienced a broken part in any of them.

That being said, they were never guns I put a ton of rounds through. I doubt many people do.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback I'm sure as long as I don't loose any springs it will hold up just fine like all my other sigs thanks again

Posts: 128 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carried a P230 as a BUG for years. I would guess 500 rounds or so through it overall. I did not shoot it a lot since it was not my primary duty or carried off duty much.
Never failed. I used the old Winchester Silvertip load in mine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone is looking for the "little" slide stop spring... you can find them sold separately here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26490...b:g:c-kAAOSwU~BfiJAt

or, as part of a spring kit here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30391...8:g:giQAAOSw~iVgRnJR

I'm not certain which seller I had purchased mine from... but I bought a spring kit for my P232SL and a couple extra slide stop springs just to be on the safe side... especially since parts for the P230/P232 are getting costly and hard to find.

Posts: 18 | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those links Beachcomber, I think I'm going to order one of those kits since I own two P230s, don't ever plan to need it but nice to have.

One of those P230's is my only Safe Queen.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Wow I really like the silver finish. Looks great.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would look for NEW magazines. If you drop one on the feed lips it may never feed right again. BTDT

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
Wow I really like the silver finish. Looks great.

that's a bead blast that was done by CCR who are mentioned on this forum often.... they also have a special super duper coating that looks a lot like that, brushed stainless steel.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
Blume9mm said:

quote:
Thanks for those links Beachcomber, I think I'm going to order one of those kits since I own two P230s, don't ever plan to need it but nice to have.

You're more than welcome Blume9mm.

I just own the single P232SL, but after watching the parts availability dry up and seeing the prices increase... I was afraid of not having spare parts in the event of a mishap.

Hopefully, you continue to enjoy your P230SL and never need to use your spare parts.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Like I said the one I pictured above is the only safe queen I have.. It actually was acquired here from the Sig Forum. I have a 2nd P230 also in stainless steel that I bought a gazillion years ago for my wife to take a handgun class... ended up being a good mistake. it was my first experience with a Sig pistol and I carried it for a number of years... now it only goes with me when I walk my dog... once a day. I got lucky and found a Crimson Trace Laser grip for that one.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beachcomber:
If anyone is looking for the "little" slide stop spring... you can find them sold separately here:

you can find them sold separately here:

Note that these are not OEM parts but homemade parts made from a thicker gauge wire than the originals. I ordered two as spares and they don't fit all that well compared to an original part.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:
Originally posted by Beachcomber:

you can find them sold separately here:

Note that these are not OEM parts but homemade parts made from a thicker gauge wire than the originals. I ordered two as spares and they don't fit all that well compared to an original part.

Thanks for the update... I haven't had the need to use them yet and have them tucked away in a safe place.

Now after learning this... I'll, once again, have to be extra careful when I clean my P232SL.