SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The original small high capacity double stack 9mm >>>>>
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The original small high capacity double stack 9mm >>>>> Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I refused to own a Bryco, Lorcins, Jennings, or other saturday night special piece of shit. I ended up buying some Keltec, though, and determined after several thousands of wasted rounds, just what crap they were. From the plastic trigger that literally crumbled to bits in my hand to the nearly countless malfunctions on multiple examples, to Keltec's absolute piss-poor customer service (refusing to service it without proof of first ownership, losing the pistol for months, claiming they never received it, to their all-time low for a predicted service life (who makes a pistol expected to last 6,000 rounds?)...never again.

There is no proper adjective for keltec but shitty. Nothing else properly describes it. I dont' care if a millionare is stupid enough to carry one. They're shit. Friends wouldn't let friends carry one, let alone own one.

Seriously.

I've owned a few Kel-Tecs for years, shoot them on a fairly frequent basis and don't have any problems with them at all.

If you go to the Kel-Tec owners group forum, you'll find a few thousand more owners who don't have any problems with them.

They're good reliable guns as long as you use quality ammo and keep them clean and lubricated, with the emphasis on lubricated.

Everyone I've seen that has problems with them were suffering from self inflicted problems. Heck, I even bought a Kel-Tec P3AT for $100.00 from a guy who told me he was selling it cheap because it was a jammomatic. I took it home, saw it was filthy and couldn't have more than a drop or so of oil on it, so I cleaned it and lubed it and it's been flawless whether with factory ammo or my own low powered reloads. I use it as a BUG

I recommend them to everyone who asks about them.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
I refused to own a Bryco, Lorcins, Jennings, or other saturday night special piece of shit. I ended up buying some Keltec, though, and determined after several thousands of wasted rounds, just what crap they were. From the plastic trigger that literally crumbled to bits in my hand to the nearly countless malfunctions on multiple examples, to Keltec's absolute piss-poor customer service (refusing to service it without proof of first ownership, losing the pistol for months, claiming they never received it, to their all-time low for a predicted service life (who makes a pistol expected to last 6,000 rounds?)...never again.

There is no proper adjective for keltec but shitty. Nothing else properly describes it. I dont' care if a millionare is stupid enough to carry one. They're shit. Friends wouldn't let friends carry one, let alone own one.

Seriously.

Your rant reads like every other KT hater I’ve come across here and elsewhere; claim to have owned them, claim the thing falls apart on you, claim that they’re “junk”.

Frankly I don’t believe 99% of you. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33891 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll lose sleep over what you believe.

The keltec apologists sound exactly like you. Premade excuses like the "hair dryer trick" for pistols with warped frames, all kinds of excuses for why a trigger would crumble, outright dismissal (couldn't have happened), and my favorites, "what do you expect for such a low price?" and "but it was meant to be carried a lot and shot a little." Same tired bullshit.

Keltecs sell because they're cheap, just like other saturday night specials. Utter crap, but owners seem invested in them because they shelled out a few bucks for cheap garbage, and they are cheap garbage.

I'll definitely lose sleep over what you believe. I'm putting it on my calendar. Just one night maybe. But definitely plan to worry about it next week some time.

You do believe 1%, then? Random 1%, or a specific one?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Seriously.

While I have no dog in the fight here ( never owned or even fired a kel tec) but your service life comment is funny, as the original 1911 was stated to have an estimated 5000 round service life. We all know how that worked out

Posts: 3301 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
I've had a few Keltecs. They're no Sig, but for what they are, they aren't bad.

I'm just wondering why they would discontinue the p11 just when everyone else was getting fired up about the concept.

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearverine:
I've had a few Keltecs. They're no Sig, but for what they are, they aren't bad.

I'm just wondering why they would discontinue the p11 just when everyone else was getting fired up about the concept.

Compared to all the other micro 9s, the P11 has a horrendously heavy trigger & rattly mags when loaded at less than max capacity.
I can see why, even as a P11 owner.

Maybe they have something new in the pipeline as a replacement?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

This ^^^^^ is what I am thinking. I have gotten my money's worth out of my P11 over the years, and it just keep on tickin'.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

It would be consistent w/ Keltec's M.O. It wouldn't surprise me if they release something in the near future the same size as the P-11/P365/Hellcat that holds 13 or more rounds and costs under $350.

When SIG released the P365, it effectively rendered their P290 and P320 Subcompact obsolete, or at the very least SIG decided it was too much market overlap. If Keltec has a successor to the P-11 planned, then they're probably not motivated to keep the P-11 around.

Posts: 3189 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:

While I have no dog in the fight here ( never owned or even fired a kel tec) but your service life comment is funny, as the original 1911 was stated to have an estimated 5000 round service life. We all know how that worked out

No Keltec will be viewed as an iconic pistol that establishes one of the most basic and widely used operating platforms in the handgun shooting world, a hundred years from now.

The keltec pistols will never be the military standard pistol, being carried with confidence in wars around the world.

While the 1911 and it's myriad variants and technological developments have become a mainstay for armed professional carry, competition, personal ownership, private carry and defense, and continue to be the source of ongoing development and sales, and are still hugely popular for numerous reasons, the keltec has not, nor will ever fill that role. A comparison between keltec and the 1911 platform is...idiotic.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:

No Keltec will be viewed as an iconic pistol that establishes one of the most basic and widely used operating platforms in the handgun shooting world, a hundred years from now.

The keltec pistols will never be the military standard pistol, being carried with confidence in wars around the world.

While the 1911 and it's myriad variants and technological developments have become a mainstay for armed professional carry, competition, personal ownership, private carry and defense, and continue to be the source of ongoing development and sales, and are still hugely popular for numerous reasons, the keltec has not, nor will ever fill that role. A comparison between keltec and the 1911 platform is...idiotic.

You seem really angry that people have different feeling about a pistol than you do.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
Can't say I ever owned a Keltec, but my brother owned a P3aT. When the frame cracked after 200 rounds he sent it back to KT. It came back with a new frame that cracked after an additional 300 rounds. I decided to spend the extra money and buy a Sig.

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned a P11, P32, P3aT. The P11 sucked monkey balls to shoot, had to buy the rear sight kit to get it to correct POI at 25’, but no issues with any of them. I’m now KT free, but carry a Ruger P3aT. A design worth copying, must be decent! Lol

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

You seem really angry that people have different feeling about a pistol than you do.

I'm not angry in the least. It doesn't change the fact that keltec is shit. Saturday night specials, nothing more.

I visited keltec boards when I bought several of the pistols to try. The apologists were a fairly unified group in defense of their purchase; they seemed tied to it, no matter what. What do you expect for such a low price? You can't expect it be be reliable for that cost. Use the tricks. My favorite, the hair drier trick in which one heated the frame with a hair drier to bend it back to shape, to keep the assembly pin from falling out. Don't notice the barrel peening, that's not really happening. The frequent malfunctions? Just the price of a cheap piece of crap.

I thought perhaps it was me. I gave several to friends, visited the range together. Put several thousand rounds through them. They all failed. NO matter who shot them. No matter which ammunition, and we tried it all. Junk. I don't make a habit of relying on others testimony; I own a LOT of firearms, largely because I wanted to try them. Even my P365, I didn't carry until it had several thousand rounds through it. Try it, see what it does. I wanted to like the Shield, discovered first hand S&W customer service when the frame split. Wanted to like Kahr, bought multiples tried them all, same drill.

Keltec, no different. I'm very confident in describing keltec products as absolute shit, and that regardless of what the apologist crowd might say. I'm not invested in it so much that I need to defend crap, shit products, simply because I paid for them (and I did pay for them; nobody sponsored me, nobody paid for it but me). Anger? No. Not at all. I don't deny the experience, however, and they're poorly constructed, poorly designed, with cheap, junk materials, poor fit and finish, designed to sell cheap...and cheap does not just imply cost. Keltec firearms aren't simply inexpensive; they're cheap. Cheap isn't something fixed with a hair dryer, and in a defensive firearm, or a toy, or anything sold as a firearm, what do I expect?

I expect the damn thing to work. Keltec didn't. They're junk.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

I'm not angry in the least. It doesn't change the fact that keltec is shit. Saturday night specials, nothing more.

I visited keltec boards when I bought several of the pistols to try. The apologists were a fairly unified group in defense of their purchase; they seemed tied to it, no matter what. What do you expect for such a low price? You can't expect it be be reliable for that cost. Use the tricks. My favorite, the hair drier trick in which one heated the frame with a hair drier to bend it back to shape, to keep the assembly pin from falling out. Don't notice the barrel peening, that's not really happening. The frequent malfunctions? Just the price of a cheap piece of crap.

I thought perhaps it was me. I gave several to friends, visited the range together. Put several thousand rounds through them. They all failed. NO matter who shot them. No matter which ammunition, and we tried it all. Junk. I don't make a habit of relying on others testimony; I own a LOT of firearms, largely because I wanted to try them. Even my P365, I didn't carry until it had several thousand rounds through it. Try it, see what it does. I wanted to like the Shield, discovered first hand S&W customer service when the frame split. Wanted to like Kahr, bought multiples tried them all, same drill.

Keltec, no different. I'm very confident in describing keltec products as absolute shit, and that regardless of what the apologist crowd might say. I'm not invested in it so much that I need to defend crap, shit products, simply because I paid for them (and I did pay for them; nobody sponsored me, nobody paid for it but me). Anger? No. Not at all. I don't deny the experience, however, and they're poorly constructed, poorly designed, with cheap, junk materials, poor fit and finish, designed to sell cheap...and cheap does not just imply cost. Keltec firearms aren't simply inexpensive; they're cheap. Cheap isn't something fixed with a hair dryer, and in a defensive firearm, or a toy, or anything sold as a firearm, what do I expect?

I expect the damn thing to work. Keltec didn't. They're junk.

Wow! You have had some bad luck with firearms. I do remember having burrs form on the bottom of the slide, caused by the hammer, now that I think back. Must have had the hardening off a bit!

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should have held onto my P11 which I put towards an MK9 at a LGS many years ago, as they may soon be going for some mighty big big big bucks now on all of the popular gun auction sites.

Eek

Posts: 3497 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned a PF9. Keltec has great customer service, and they needed it. With fewer than 600 rounds through the pipe I sent the gun back to Keltec twice. Each time the slide was cracked. They repaired the problem without complaint or cost. In a nutshell: Innovative design, poor manufacturing, great customer service.

I'm continually intrigued by the new, innovative, reasonably priced firearms but I haven't owned another one.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 708 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I am not a big Kel Tec pistol fan, they do have a place in the shooting world. For those on a budget, they are a great option with one of the best warranties in the business. I applaud Kel Tec for their designs with their rifles and shotguns.

Posts: 6912 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post