SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Fake “antique” finish: love or hate? Pietta Colt 1860 with “Old West” finish
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fake “antique” finish: love or hate? Pietta Colt 1860 with “Old West” finish Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
Not sure how you feel about “antiqued” or “distressed” finishes on guns, guitars, hot rods, etc. but Pietta makes this one and it looks pretty good IMO. Cost about $75 more than a standard finish. Looks fairly close to my original Colt 1860 Army. Shoots pretty well.

I think I’ll strip/refinish the grips eventually.

video for any interested

https://youtu.be/JZYkZ1Y94k8

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Pretend finishes. NOPE!

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kind of put them in the same category as pre-ripped jeans and distressed baseball caps. Not for me.

Posts: 264 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clang:
I kind of put them in the same category as pre-ripped jeans and distressed baseball caps. Not for me.

Yeah, the brand new Gibson SGs with sanded/worn "patina" and fake belt buckle wear always bothered me. For some reason this doesn't.

posted Hide Post
I like old guns and replica old guns. I don't mind the aged finish, but I would not pay extra for it, or, at least I never have yet.

But I rarely buy an "old gun" new from the dealer, either, usually I get them from someone who loved them a while before I came along.

Bob

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
On black powder repros, sure. After all, this is how these pistols appear to us today, a century and a half after they were manufactured.

On firearms outside of that group, I think it looks silly.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problem for me. It's trying to replicate an era that is rather appropriate for that gun's original design. Normally I hate distressed finish work on anything new, even when there's a functional purpose (like scratching up the stainless steel materials in a new elevator because the installation could be subjected to future vandalism), but if someone or some company is trying recreate an aura that their item would've lived in, then I can't see how that harms anything.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t mind distressed finishes on 2 guns. Old Colt SAA clones and blackpowder guns like yours. It just looks right. Now the Sig 365 Spectre? That’s a disaster. Lol

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I don’t mind distressed finishes on 2 guns. Old Colt SAA clones and blackpowder guns like yours. It just looks right. Now the Sig 365 Spectre? That’s a disaster. Lol
totally agree.

Maybe in 150 years a “distressed” SIG or Glock will not be as offensive, since they’ll look more like the “original” 20th century guns LOL

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Seems like the antique finish would almost be a requirement for Cowboy Action Shooting.

It would go along with the rest of the costume, of which some are very impressive. You just have to have a cool cowboy name to go with it.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve got an Uberti Cattleman with one of those distressed finishes. On that gun it looks pretty good actually. I still wouldn’t have picked that myself, but it was my dads and he loved it.

I hate the look on modern guns. The worst is that paint job on ARs that’s meant to look like a the gun was spray painted but then the spray paint has been wearing off because of use.

Like this:

[

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Yeah the "dragged behind your tuck" Battle Worn finish on the Spectre does nothing to enhance the durability of the finish. Just because it's starting out with a fake beat up look doesn't mean diddle.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone who's super picky about taking care of my guns, I don't care for the fake finishes. If it's an old gun with real history, then that's a different story.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post