SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sell me on a P320 over my usual Glocks
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sell me on a P320 over my usual Glocks Login/Join 
Picture of UCPOPO
posted
A little background on me. I’ve been an LEO for 22 years now. Been carrying a Glock for most of those years. I probably own 25 Glocks but just have an itching to try something different lately. Finally handled a P365 and will pick it up Monday. Also briefly handled a P320and the feel was really nice. My only complaint for years on the Glock is that I just do not care for the grip angle. I’ve had a few customized and built a few Polymer 80 lowers and absolutely loved them. Having said all that, sell me on the P320 over a Glock and discussed your thought on the difference in bore axis. Thanks for any info guys!

Posts: 655 | Location: OKLAHOMA | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No reason to sell you on them. Rent one and see if you like it and do better with it.

But, if you want me to list what I see as advantages to the P320:
-grip angle
-trigger
-sights
-modularity (may or may not be important, but if you are one of those stipple guys, you're not ruining the serialized part, just a $40ish grip module)
All of those are subjective. Some people will prefer Glock grip angle, trigger and sights.

For bore axis, it may mean something with a revolver, but with a semi-auto the slide moves back forward. And all those bore axis physics are working the other way. Did you know that some competitive shooters actually use lightened recoil springs to prevent muzzle dip? Whaa? I know! Crazy. If you wanna buy into bore axis, go ahead. Won't impact my life any.

Anyway I much prefer the P320 to Glock. But I also like Balvenie and Macallan. Maybe you prefer Glenlivet. Or vodka. So what I like doesn't matter.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1861 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I’m like you. Have a lot of glocks. Wanted to cheat on them and bought a p320 carry. Love the gun but don’t trust it. Shoots great, feels good, but negative press here with issues and elsewhere. Bought a P365. Couldn’t bring myself to carry it in place of my G43. Gave the 365 away to my buddy, he loves it. He’s not a CCW’r just a range toy to him.

For me it boiled down to an over 20 year history with Glock in which I was only ever let down once and even that was a non event. The precautionary frame recall a dozen or so years ago for cracks that may happen. I hate to call it a let down because none of mine were cracked.

I find it difficult to carry anything but one of my glocks or my P228. YMMV

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wanted to cheat on them and bought a p320 carry. Love the gun but don’t trust it.

Why not? Mine have been 100% out of the box, and I have thousands of rounds through them (probably close to 10k). They are utterly reliable. As to bad press, the P365 had some teething issues, but the only widespread issue I recall with the P320 was the drop safety problem, which has been corrected. And that had no impact on reliability.

Posts: 8624 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few Glocks and tried the 320 which I am now into full tilt , grip frames , compact , Carry size which feels great . But most of the time I still take Glock with me . I took a hard look at Beretta APX watched to much You Tube , and went and looked some over. I like the APX for a new thing to play with so I picked the Centurion mid size 9mm they are well made and no brass to the face , they just work .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Not from me. I'm dialed in to Glocks; the 320 wearing the standard form grip module is one of the worst pointing guns to me.

However with the X-frame grip module things get far more cheery quickly; with those I can actually see most of the front sight as I bring the gun up, even with my ingrained Glock muscle memory. Best yet, they even feel blocky...just like a Glock. Big Grin

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ive owned P320’s, impressive accuracy but didn’t care for the polymer formulation in the grip, fells thin. I can’t draw the P365 from cover as quickly as other pistols so it’s not an option for me. I’ve adapted to the Glock grip angle and can shoot them well enough. Have also upgraded to the Gen5 variants. Sig pissed me off with the way they communicated the P320 trigger issue. Seemed they knew more than they let on to the consumer market..

Posts: 13818 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
For many years I always said (like many people) if I had only 1 pistol it would be the Glock 19. I thought the Glock 19 was the perfect pistol for many years.

One day, I had an itch to try the new to market P320 and I bought a P320 Compact. Well, here it is a few years later and I own 6 different P320 variants and ZERO Glocks.

The final straw for me was I was heading to the range with several of my Glocks when I stopped at a local FFL. In the case was a MINT Fullsize P320 in 9mm, in box, looked unfired. They had a promotion with money off used guns and the price after the promotion, $300. I bought it.

Then I hit the range, shooting my Glocks first at 10yds. I was hitting eight and nine rings on a target half the size (width) of a B27 target. Then I pulled out the new P320 fullsize, it was clean, threw a little lube on it and proceed to shoot 10 rings all day with it. Now I owned other P320's but never shot this one before. I went back to the range again the next day and similar results. I built a collection of P320's and eventually realized they just work better for me.

Now I have:

2 P320 X-Fives
1 P320 M17 Bravo
1 P320 Fullsize
1 P320 X-Carry
1 P320 Carry

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4523 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
From a practical shooting standpoint, the P320 wins all day long.

To perform, the Glock takes a lot of work, particularly on having the right grip. If you don't, your shots go left (right handed shooter), if you have too loose a grip the gun can stop working. We see this on the range a lot, and I think that it is a mixture of poor grip, and improper maintenance. Some fanboys will rabidly claim that this is a "training" issue, but it is until it isn't. In dealing with a very wide swath of shooters, some smaller shooters just can't hang onto the gun over the course of many shots. And why would you want a gun if you were wounded and couldn't hold on to, that you know is going to tie up? How exactly is that a training issue?

Some of it is a maintenance issue because people just seem to refuse to lubricate their Glock's properly. They buy into that whole Ken Hackathorn "Treat a gun like a lawn mower" business. The whole "one Q Tip dipped in oil" nonsense. The gun needs to be wet. Anyone who tells you otherwise needs their heads examined. If the gun is lubed, it allows the slide to reciprocate easier, making it a little more tolerant to bad inputs.

The P320 just doesn't care how you hold onto it. You can have a bad grip, and the gun just keeps right on trucking.

The P320 also has a better trigger out of the box, over even the Gen5 guns.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So it's the grip angle that causes me to shoot Glocks to the left. Hmmmmm. I may have to look at a 320 after all.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
So it's the grip angle that causes me to shoot Glocks to the left. Hmmmmm. I may have to look at a 320 after all.

Oh, yeah. It's all in how you grip the pistol. Some instructors teach "MORE FINGER" as the cure, but what they are actually doing by getting the shooter to put "MORE FINGER" in is fundamentally changing how the shooter grips the pistol by inserting more finger. That is the cure, not the amount of finger you put in.

The grip has to be a straight front to back one, with no loading of the sides. Cures it each and every time.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
have very little experience with Glocks and to be honest am not a fan of striker fired guns... but I can drill holes with the 320 Compact I bought back in September..... have put well over a thousand rounds through it with not one hiccup. Will not use it as a carry gun not only because personally as I said don't really feel comfortable with striker fired for everyday carry and also the 320 I bought has the Romeo sights on it that make it kind of clunky in my mind... but I love it for a range and competition gun.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a 1911 guy. The Glock grip angle and trigger never worked well for me (although I do one one Glock, a Gen3 23).
The grip angle and trigger is what sold me on the 320.

PC

Posts: 1341 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I can't, I looked a the P320 Compact; was thinking of switching over to it from my Glock 19s.

My LGS had a couple set aside for me for a week. Went down to one of the ranges near me, rented the P320 and shot it. Nope, not for me.

If I would have switched to the P320 back in 2005 from the DA/SA SIGs that I had been shooting since 1990, it might have been different. But not at this time.

Next day went into the store that was holding the P320Cs and told him the story. No problem with him... I'm kind of a "frequent buyer" at his place. Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the P320 at all. I really liked my full size and the compact. But the compact was just too big compared to my G19, so I knew I wouldn't carry it. I personally noticed no difference at all before and after the trigger recall.

I also picked up an HK VP9 about the same time, and I shoot that better than the P320

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Glock grip angle is too steep, the P320 is too vertical.
S&W M&P 2.0 feels perfect, plus the small blackstrap insert makes the circumference perfect as well.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
I'm a 1911 type guy too and find the Glock grip angle to feel odd. Picked up a reconditioned Sig 320 Compact at a local gun shop and found i liked the grip angle and feel and the trigger was so much better than my Glock that I had to put money down on it. Will pick it up today and try to shoot it this week.

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I was going to pick up a new S&W M&P 2.0(3.6) next week until I saw this.

SIG SAUER Introduces New P320 XCOMPACT To It’s XSERIES Line-Up

Now I have to find one to rent and make a decision.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UCPOPO:
A little background on me. I’ve been an LEO for 22 years now. Been carrying a Glock for most of those years. I probably own 25 Glocks but just have an itching to try something different lately. Finally handled a P365 and will pick it up Monday. Also briefly handled a P320and the feel was really nice. My only complaint for years on the Glock is that I just do not care for the grip angle. I’ve had a few customized and built a few Polymer 80 lowers and absolutely loved them. Having said all that, sell me on the P320 over a Glock and discussed your thought on the difference in bore axis. Thanks for any info guys!

From my point of view as an LE like yourself, it is difficult to let go of the Glock if for no other reason than reliability. Yes Glocks have had years of sustained reliability but there were bobbles along the way.

I have owned 320's since early 2015 not long after their release. Got mine straight from Sig on the LE instructor program.

Have run thousands of rounds through mine, with out a single issue. Even with my personal experience with the 320 reliability, it hasn't been out long enough to obtain the same reliability reputation.

I think it will happen for the 320, it is just going to take some time.

As far as the guns themselves go, yes the 320 ergonomically for most folks will feel better than a Glock.

For me I prefer the X frames to the standard 320 frames.

Overall, I can shoot glocks, 320's, XD, almost any platform equally well, under normal range conditions.

When running under speed and stress, is when a particular platform shows it true colors to me, and my ability to use it.

While I do like the P320 X carry model, and have a pro series LE carry on order, I can run my 19X's and G45 better than anything else I own, when put under those conditions. I have trained under those conditions for years and have tried many different platforms, so this isn't biased toward glock.

For me it is what works best in a particular situation IE a gunfight, that finds it way into my holster on a daily basis.

I still take my 1911's and other guns to the range when I am just shooting statically, for fun. When it is time to go to work, I use what gives me the edge, whatever platform that may be.

You would do fine with the Sig P320 and you will enjoy it. Take a look at X Carry if you get a chance. With the Glock background you may like it a tad batter, at least the X frame.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UCPOPO:

I'd stick with the pistol whose manufacturer did not make the following argument:

"Sig Sauer also contends that ATF placed too great an emphasis upon reliability in determining which offers should continue to phase III. In this regard, Sig Sauer argues that reliability was only one of a number of elements to be considered in the live-fire assessment, and notes that reliability was not identified as having any more importance than the other elements."

How SIG can ever be taken seriously as a firearms company again is beyond me.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post