SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What does 10mm recoil feel like?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does 10mm recoil feel like? Login/Join 
Picture of jbn8705
posted
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could describe/compare 10mm recoil to other rounds for me. Yesterday I heard a guy on youtube say his Glock 20 10mm recoiled softer than his G21 in .45ACP. He said it recoiled just a bit more than 9mm.

So, what do you think? Is 10mm "flippy" like the .40S&W? I'm not a fan of the .40s I've shot, but did like .357Sig, 9mm, and .45ACP.

I like the idea of a 10mm, but just don't want to find I dislike it like the .40.

Thanks in advance. Merry Christmas!

Posts: 1208 | Location: Taichung 台中, Taiwan 台灣 | Registered: September 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say that the 2 big unknowns are what pistol you would shoot it out of and what ammo. I shoot the majority of my 10mm out of my G20SF but i have owned and fired alot of 10mm out of DW 1911's and Colt Delta and Sig P220. I would say the softest shooting of the bunch is the big P220 all steel. With mild ammo, (Winchester, American Eagle 180 grain) its no more than .45 recoil and maybe even a little less than what you would get out of an aluminum framed P220 in .45. With hot sig ammo its not unpleasant, but probably a little more than .45. Keep in mind that there are a dozen factory rounds in between in terms of power.
The G20 is real easy to shoot with the mild ammo, probably about like a G21 in .45, but i would say more than .45 with hot ammo. Again, not unpleasant but you definitely know its something more than 9mm and .45. I describe it as a big push, not snappy type recoil.
Get a 10mm. You can do so much with it now without even reloading. Dozens of ammo manufacturers now and it really is in the midst of a revival in terms of ammo choices and pistols/revolvers out of which to shoot it.
Hope this is helpful

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Depends somewhat on the guns you are comparing and the ammo. When I shot my Sig Nightmare Carry in 45ACP and my Springfield XDM OSP in 10mm side by side, the recoil was only slightly more in the 10mm gun, but not at all objectionable. The 45 ammo was 230 grn Blazer, and the 10mm was S&B 180 grn. SD loads in each caliber would be hotter in both guns.

In general.....I don’t notice a huge difference in recoil between 45 and 10mm, although felt recoil is pretty subjective. Again...the ammo and guns used for comparison will make a difference. As always YMMV.

I found a recoil energy comparison chart of different calibers and loadings. Here is a comparison that may help somewhat:

9mm 124 grn @ 1,125 fps = 6.0 recoil energy
40 S&W 165 grn @ 1,080 fps = 9.3 recoil energy
45 ACP 230 grn @ 850 fps = 7.9 recoil energy
10mm 180 grn @ 1,295 fps = 11.4 recoil energy

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
One of my first handguns was a 1911 in 10mm and in that platform, even the hottest loads I ever tried from Double Tap were not what I would describe as heavy recoiling. In fact, I have never noticed a lot of difference in the recoil of any of my pistols in 9mm, .40 S&W, 10mm, .45 ACP, or .357 SIG. I don't honestly find recoil to be worthy of much thought until you are talking about .357 Magnum from a lightweight snubby, or .44 Magnum from a 4 inch or shorter barrel.

10mm looks impressive on paper, but in actual use I don't find it to be a big enough step up from a .40 S&W to be noteworthy. The recoil is nothing to be concerned about in my opinion.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sourkraut:
Depends somewhat on the guns you are comparing and the ammo. When I shot my Sig Nightmare Carry in 45ACP and my Springfield XDM OSP in 10mm side by side, the recoil was only slightly more in the 10mm gun, but not at all objectionable. The 45 ammo was 230 grn Blazer, and the 10mm was S&B 180 grn. SD loads in each caliber would be hotter in both guns.

In general.....I don’t notice a huge difference in recoil between 45 and 10mm, although felt recoil is pretty subjective. Again...the ammo and guns used for comparison will make a difference. As always YMMV.

I found a recoil energy comparison chart of different calibers and loadings. Here is a comparison that may help somewhat:

9mm 124 grn @ 1,125 fps = 6.0 recoil energy
40 S&W 165 grn @ 1,080 fps = 9.3 recoil energy
45 ACP 230 grn @ 850 fps = 7.9 recoil energy
10mm 180 grn @ 1,295 fps = 11.4 recoil energy

I do not find my 10mm gun to be “flippy”.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
Guns are like a guitar, tune it to your liking.

For instance if you shoot a hot load through a lightweight G20 you're going to have a much different experience than say a light load through a P220.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbn8705:
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could describe/compare 10mm recoil to other rounds for me. Yesterday I heard a guy on youtube say his Glock 20 10mm recoiled softer than his G21 in .45ACP. He said it recoiled just a bit more than 9mm.

So, what do you think? Is 10mm "flippy" like the .40S&W? I'm not a fan of the .40s I've shot, but did like .357Sig, 9mm, and .45ACP.

I like the idea of a 10mm, but just don't want to find I dislike it like the .40.

Thanks in advance. Merry Christmas!

Depends on the platform.
I have 9mm Glocks and a G20.
I agree with the Youtube guy, G20 is pleasant to shoot.

Now if I were to stuff it with Buffalo Bore or Underwood bear loads, it might get a little snappy.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Nothing like HOT .357 magnum or .44 etc.

In Glocks even the small one it’s fairly pleasant. Kind of like a hot .45 or so.
I do find it a bit more noticeable in mental framed guns.

All in all unless you are shooting upper end of the spectrum loads it’s fairly pleasant IMO. Again kinda like a really hot .45.

It’s the wallet recoil that gets me. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends WHY you dislike the 40 S&W? If don't like shooting the 40, you most likely won't like shooting the 10mm, assuming you're talking about recoil.

Recoil is a subjective thing, what one guy finds objectionable, another guy doesn't notice.

"My granddad used to say, If everybody liked the same thing, they'd all be after your grandma."-Gary Mule Deer.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I was just visiting Hualien, Yilin, and Changhua. Where do you shoot in Taiwan?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I several years ago shot several hot loads out of a G29 a buddy owns. It was a handful. Not something I'd care to do day in and day out, but I don't recall it being exceptionally uncomfortable.

quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Nothing like HOT .357 magnum or .44 etc.

Same thing I've said, several times, here. Usually in response to "the 40 S&W is snappy."

I used to target practice with full-load .357 Mag rounds out of my 4" bbl Ruger Security Six. Try doing that for a few months, then go back to your auto-loader. It'll feel like you're shooting powder puff loads Smile

My next firearms acquisition I plan to be a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm. I suspect I'll find it no more challenging than my Remington R1 1911 Enhanced in .45 ACP.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not go to a range that has some 10's in their rental fleet and try them out ?

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The recoil on my P220 Elite SAO is pretty stout, but nowhere near unmanageable. Keep in mind that I have only shot SIG Elite ammo through it which is a fairly hot load. It will toss empties a good 30 feet easily.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my G20, I dunno how it compares, that's just so subjective.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
G20 & G29 owner here, and to me the recoil feels similar to a strong 45ACP.

More of a difference shooting the smaller G29 versus the G20.

Got my eyes on a GP100 in 10mm. Shee Dee Ern Ern has a great price on the Match Champion in 10mm presently.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My 10mm 1911's are just a bit more jumpy than my 45acp 1911's. I actually enjoy recoil so it's no big deal.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you can obtain and possess guns in
quote:
Taichung 台中, Taiwan 台灣
?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54643 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Glock 29 a smallish 10mm has recoil that is easy to deal with. If someone has problem with a 10mm recoil try using grip strengthens which would help.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1554 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Feels like fun

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on the loads that you are shooting in 10mm. lot of the factory loadings are not that different from .40S&W. Getting into the hotter stuff from Double Tap or Underwood and the felt recoil gets to be substantially more. I've got a Dan Wesson Razorback 1911 and a 3" Ruger GP100 in 10mm. The hooter Underwood loads feel like 158gr. .357 magnums out of a L-Frame revolver.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post