SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What does 10mm recoil feel like?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does 10mm recoil feel like? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My Glock 20SF handles the recoil well. The Underwood 10mm ammo has much more of a punch than the Armscor. Ammo and a heavier gun make the difference. It got a reputation because the FBI could not handle it. If I remember correctly Sonny Crockett carried a 10mm on Miami Vice which popularized the round.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO a full 10mm load - not a low pressure loading in a G20 or 1911 is noticeably softer shooting than a 357 Mag. Recoil is very manageable in a full sized 1911. Weapon weight is your friend.

They are hotter than 9, 40, 45 if that helps

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

As had been said already, it depends on the gun and the ammo. I shoot a SIG p220-10mm SAO, and with my standard carry load of Underwood 180gr Gold Dots, the recoil is almost pleasant, sort of a push back. OTOH, shooting Underwood 155gr XTP is quite a bit different, with a noticeable flip of the muzzle. Of course, the 155gr is traveling considerably faster and producing more muzzle energy out of the barrel. No matter the caliber, I have always preferred "heavy and slow" vs "light and fast". The all steel P220-10mm handles recoil very well.

Shooting my Ruger GP-100 Wiley Clapp model (3" bbl), the same relationship holds between light and heavy bullets. Naturally the 3" bbl produces a bit more recoil overall, but again the all steel gun makes it more manageable. I carry the same Underwood 180gr Gold Dots in the GP-100.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sourkraut:
Depends somewhat on the guns you are comparing and the ammo. When I shot my Sig Nightmare Carry in 45ACP and my Springfield XDM OSP in 10mm side by side, the recoil was only slightly more in the 10mm gun, but not at all objectionable. The 45 ammo was 230 grn Blazer, and the 10mm was S&B 180 grn. SD loads in each caliber would be hotter in both guns.

In general.....I don’t notice a huge difference in recoil between 45 and 10mm, although felt recoil is pretty subjective. Again...the ammo and guns used for comparison will make a difference. As always YMMV.

I found a recoil energy comparison chart of different calibers and loadings. Here is a comparison that may help somewhat:

9mm 124 grn @ 1,125 fps = 6.0 recoil energy
40 S&W 165 grn @ 1,080 fps = 9.3 recoil energy
45 ACP 230 grn @ 850 fps = 7.9 recoil energy
10mm 180 grn @ 1,295 fps = 11.4 recoil energy

I have a Kimber Grand Raptor and the exact same Springfield 10mm. I agree. I barely notice a difference when I shoot them side by side.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are concerned about recoil, try a Glock 40. Longer slide with 6.02" barrel, polymer frame and wider backstrap soaks up the recoil and reduces muzzle flip.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup, A Glock model 40 or 40MOS would be the way to go.

Posts: 9154 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hot Underwood out of a G20 is fine has a huge boom that can make some flinch. I compare hot Underwood in my G29 to that of a +P .45 out of a Springfield XDS it doesn’t hurt but you know you shot a real gun!

Posts: 120 | Location: Locust Grove, Virginia | Registered: November 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Glock 20 gem 4 and Underwood hard cast bear loads are pretty reasonable. Standard 10 feels pretty light. I love it

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post