SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta 92GTS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 92GTS Login/Join 
Picture of got2hav1
posted
I have been looking for another Beretta 92 pistol for a while now. Ran across this one today. Decocker, DA/SA in 9mm. It has nice wood grips in the thin Vertec style which fit my hand nicely. I really like the front fiber optic front sight. It has a serrated rear sight and skeleton hammer. Very nice trigger in either mode. Unlike previous 92s it has a frame mounted decocker which you sweep up to de cock the hammer. Overall a handsome pistol and I am exicted to take it for a spin and range report

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2773 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Pretty gun. I've been looking at those. Not sure I would like up to decock though. I'll wait until I can handle one in person to decide. Are they going for MSRP?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Wonder why it has the up decocker.

I went through several Berettas before learning about the “G” for the 92/96 guns. My 96G is a true G and not a conversion.

The G is the only configuration in a 92/96 that makes sense for my needs. Any other configuration just seemed ass backwards to me.

Now they reverse it. Boy that would really screw me up having to up cock the decocker. This old dog ain't learning any new tricks. Other than the up decocker it is one beautiful gun.

Posts: 18036 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
So is that lever a safety/decocker or just a decocker?

Posts: 8586 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
So I looked at a couple of videos, and one of the Beretta engineers said when they used the frame mounted decocker they went with the upwards style decocker and what they call a twin sear. (92GTS) Maybe because the lever is now below the sear rather than above it like on the slide mounted decocker??
Yes it is a decocker only no safety. When you decock the hammer it lowers it to half cock, so the next trigger pull is shorter than if it was in the DA mode.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: got2hav1,

Posts: 2773 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Pretty gun. I've been looking at those. Not sure I would like up to decock though. I'll wait until I can handle one in person to decide. Are they going for MSRP?

I don't think it would be to difficult to re-train on the decocker. As someone pointed out, when you are decocking you usually aren't doing it under duress. Now maybe if you have other 92s and kept switching back and forth it might get to be a problem. Yes I paid MSRP for this one. On one of the videos it was mentioned they offer this version (Launch Edition) (1500 made) and the black finish version lower MSRP.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes it is a decocker only no safety. When you decock the hammer it lowers it to half cock, so the next trigger pull is shorter than if it was in the DA mode.

Interesting...almost CZ-Like. I could learn to live with it, although I've never minded the slide-mounted decocker of the regular 92G and PX4G. I'd miss the added safety feature of the rotating firing pin plunger, though.

Like you said, decocking isn't something that typically needs to be done under time pressure, and I don't have a huge objection to shifting my grip to accomplish it. That said, the Sig P22X decocker design let's you have your cake and eat it to, and that along with the grip ergos are why my P229 sees carry time while the 92X Compact sits in the safe.

Posts: 8586 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Changing the decock to the opposite direction is counter-intuitive. They should only make it cock and locked in that way like a 1911. Decock should be like the FS and G, downward only.

I wonder why Beretta no longer uses the beefier Brigadier slide anymore.

What's next after the "92GTS"? The 92 Carerra GT? Roll Eyes

Posts: 2662 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's next after the "92GTS"?

I'm holding out for the 92 GT2 RSR myself.

We received one in from Beretta a few days ago. I'm pretty sure ours is broken, because when I tried a rapid pair of DA pulls in quick succession, the follow-up pull resulted in a dead trigger, with no cocking of the hammer at all. Subsequent dry fire trials shows that this happens about 75% of the time. But if I pause for half sec or so, the trigger mechanism seems to reengage and VIOLA, the DA operates normally again.

Yeah...back to Accokeek it goes.

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
But if I pause for half sec or so, the trigger mechanism seems to reengage and VIOLA, the DA operates normally again.

voilà is the word you're looking for

quote:

Of course it should work out of the box but these symptoms usually mean the trigger bar spring has slipped out of it's slot. That spring puts downward pressure on the trigger bar to keep it engaged on the hammer.....easily fixed by removing the right grip.

The other possible culprit could be improperly fitting the trigger bar or tolerance stacking of the ledge on the trigger bar. This is not uncommon with cast parts and LTT provides more material to custom fit their trigger bars to ensure 100% reliable action in DA.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
What's next after the "92GTS"?

I'm holding out for the 92 GT2 RSR myself.

We received one in from Beretta a few days ago. I'm pretty sure ours is broken, because when I tried a rapid pair of DA pulls in quick succession, the follow-up pull resulted in a dead trigger, with no cocking of the hammer at all. Subsequent dry fire trials shows that this happens about 75% of the time. But if I pause for half sec or so, the trigger mechanism seems to reengage and VIOLA, the DA operates normally again.

My 92X compact did something similar to that, although it wouldn't reset on its own. Ended up being a burr on the trigger bar that was blocking it from riding back up past the lug in the hammer. The weird thing was that it worked out of the box (I bought it brand new) and the problem didn't materialize until about 200 rounds in. It was a simple fix (just a couple of minutes with a stone) but it shouldn't have done it in the first place. I have a few thousand rounds through it now and the problem has not returned.

That was the most glaring of several issues where the 92X didn't live up to the quality standards of my old Maryland-manufactured 92FS. The safety lever was also sticky and not positive (corrected when I swapped in a G conversion), and the barrel has some kind of visible anomaly in the rifling about halfway down on one side. It didn't seem to be causing any issues with the accuracy of my normal powdercoated reloads, but I got some different projectiles (plated) a while back and they were all over the place out of the 92X, but worked fine in my other guns. My suspicion is that the bump in the rifling is playing hell with the plating.

I also tried reaching out to Beretta a couple of times (once about the barrel, and the other about getting a red dot mounting plate for the RDO cut slide, that was supposed to be free off their website), but I never received a response. They completely ghosted me. Beretta makes some nice handguns, but I'll be shopping used in the future because if I have to fix them myself I might as well not pay the markup for new.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

voilà is the word you're looking for

No ... taking his commment in context, I believe he meant it to be larger and a fifth lower in compass.

You know, for

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤEMPHASIS

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
Changing the decock to the opposite direction is counter-intuitive.
<snip>

Debatable. On most (all?) SAO pistols the safety lever is thumbed upwards for SAFE, so the 92GTS operation would be natural for me.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

VIOLA

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
So is that lever a safety/decocker or just a decocker?

For this model it's a safety/decocker.

quote:
Changing the decock to the opposite direction is counter-intuitive. They should only make it cock and locked in that way like a 1911. Decock should be like the FS and G, downward only.

Why? It's the same system they've used in the Beretta Cheetahs for decades. Not every gun has to function like a 1911, and if you're using the safety as a thumb rest like most 1911 shooters, you'll just decock the gun after you fire a shot because your thumb will be pushing the safety down if Beretta left it in your preferred "decock" position.

Here's an overview of this gun from SHOT:

Posts: 4187 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
DanH, that is the video I watched also. Thanks for posting.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

VIOLA

Reminds me of a joke told by Victor Borge, a Danish-American pianist and comedian. As I remember it:

“My father played the viola. Many people don’t know the difference between a violin and a viola. Unfortunately, my father was among them.
Pause …
Actually, the difference is that the viola burns longer.”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun and looks intriguing. Even after watching the video, I wish Beretta would take after Taurus' version of the 92, with the decocker/safety positioning/design. It takes a good amount of effort to decock the hammer with a downward push, after pushing down the engaged safety from the up position on the Taurus. With that said, I do love the Beretta pistols I have.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Beretta's original designs for the 92 is what the Taurus, Vektor and Llama 82 and 87 are all based off of. Frame safety designs that work and work well.

The closest affordable option currently offered are the 92XI which are SAO alloy frame guns with normal functioning frame safety. MAP is like $799 I think and there are three sizes of safety to choose from (all are oversized compared to the original 1970's design that the Taurus PT92 is based on)

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Thanks. That Taurus PT92 is a clean-looking pistol.

“The Taurus PT92 is a double action/single action, double-stack-magazine fed, short recoil-operated, semi-automatic 9mm pistol manufactured by Taurus in the Beretta factory in São Paulo, Brazil. …’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_PT92

Serious about crackers