SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dating an Older 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dating an Older 239 Login/Join 
posted
I picked up what is probably an older 239 40 Cal. It is in excellent shape but I am having a bit of trouble placing the approximate manufacture date by the serial number.

The Sig Serial Number list on this forum has 239's typically beginning with SA or SBU.

The number on the 239 I have is S4-47XXX. I looked through a goodly number of the subsequent posts on the serial number topic but did not see any with a Letter and Number as the first digits. I only have two other 239's and both begin with SA; they are from the mid-90's.

The case appears to be from the Nineties. In the post about identifying cases, on the first page, CSwimm posted a photo and calls it a Dark Grey Plastic with a partial foam insert. The sticker was missing from the case.

Does any one have any guesses/observation about a possible date of manufacture?

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it is S4- and not SA4-?

I have s SA4-67xxx from 2002

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you sure it is S4- and not SA4-?

I concur. My P239-40 is SA4-111XXX. There are a few SA4s sprinkled in the P239 serial number list.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely sure. Only S4 in front of the numbers. Purchased from my local FFL who reported the number as beginning with S4 also.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Check the date code on the inside of the grips, if they're original to the gun?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15278 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Check the date code on the inside of the grips, if they're original to the gun?
How can you tell of the grips are original, when buying a used gun?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30645 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should have thought about that myself. Grips do appear to be original to the gun, after taking them off it appears as if the gun had never been fired, or if fired, minimally, it was absolutely pristine inside.

The date code on the grips is 07/1997.

I still am a bit confused about why the serial number would be different than other 239's of the same time period.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 0658,

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
“S4-“ is supposedly an early serial indicating a .40S&W/.357SIG frame. Later frames are “SA4-“.

All “SA-“ frames are supposedly 9mm.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. The grips on my original 40 says 10/97. The serial # seems barely etched onto the frame.

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an SBU serial number for my 40SW 239 purchased new in 2010. This may have been on the shelf for a while.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
I have an SBU serial number for my 40SW 239 purchased new in 2010. This may have been on the shelf for a while.

“SAU-“ or “SBU-“ is a U.S.-made frame.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

“SAU-“ or “SBU-“ is a U.S.-made frame.

Quite correct, as far as I can tell it is just as well made as my German frame P229 40SW and my German framed P239 a CPO IN 9mm. I was Skeptical at first but after shooting and cleaning sessions I can say that Sig finely crafted these pistols for law enforcement. Also these 40SW models were made with a taller slide designed to handle the 40/357 cartridges. With the 180 grain 40 S&W cartridge, the recoil is quite manageable.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“S4-“ is supposedly an early serial indicating a .40S&W/.357SIG frame. Later frames are “SA4-“.

Interesting bit of information.

Striker, Are you indicating that it is an American frame for the 40/357 Sig or is it a German frame?

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0658:

Interesting bit of information.

Striker, Are you indicating that it is an American frame for the 40/357 Sig or is it a German frame?

It's a German frame. The U.S. frames didn't start until about 2005 or so.

RB

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I just looked at all 7 of my P239s and they are all SA4 prefixs

My oldest is the all black P239 wearing the Cocobolo Hogue grips, it is a 1997 purchase

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post