SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How much sand is needed to stop a bullet?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much sand is needed to stop a bullet? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
How about you just use the proper technique and LOOK to see that the chamber is empty before messing around with sand?

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If one follows the proper procedures, it’s not necessary to actually check the chamber. And since we don’t have to actually check the chamber to ensure the gun is unloaded, then we don’t have to avoid pointing the gun we know is unloaded at someone we don’t intend to shoot. Or to avoid touching or even pulling the trigger while we’re pointing the gun at someone. It’s all a matter of just doing the right thing the first time. Roll Eyes

Multiple, redundant safety rules and procedures are intended to make it possible to recover from the mistakes we fallible humans (most of us, anyway) inevitably make.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
But in number 2s scenario, you might want to clear it thru the wife before you put three layers of sand bags against the far wall. Just saying.

Guys who ask questions like these are NOT married or are divorced. Just kidding!

...or just married the right woman. Wink

I do not have a trap to clear firearms, but I do have a bullet trap for the range in the garage....that the wife uses!

Both the sand and the rubber mulch will work. My trap uses 14" of rubber mulch inside A500 and is rated up to .454.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice to have for pistols with frame mounted decocking lever

Posts: 151 | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
The Army told us that you need 18" of packed earth to stop rifle small arms fire.

I have always wondered about such figures. I have some old Army engineer data books that provide the capability of other materials to stop various projectiles and they always seemed very high. I suspect that they are based on what’s absolutely, positively necessary to stop sustained fire, not just a single shot.

Another of my tests was to fire a 175 grain 7mm Remington Magnum bullet into a printer box of sandy gravel. It was an expanding bullet and penetrated no more than about 6 inches. An FMJ bullet might have penetrated farther, but probably not too much.

Yea, probably overkill like much military is. I've seen a lot of sand bagged positions with single bag depth protection.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Man, you have clean floors.

quote:
Originally posted by M4Super90:
quote:
quote:
But in number 2s scenario, you might want to clear it thru the wife before you put three layers of sand bags against the far wall. Just saying.

Guys who ask questions like these are NOT married or are divorced. Just kidding!

I do not have a trap to clear firearms, but I do have a bullet trap for the range in the garage....that the wife uses!

Both the sand and the rubber mulch will work. My trap uses 14" of rubber mulch inside A500 and is rated up to .454.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Well if they still made big phone books... Wink

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M4Super90:
quote:
quote:

Where did that trap come from?

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Given the relatively low cost of sand, why not jsut go for 12 inches and eliminate any doubt. Of course, you will want to be careful that you are aiming straight into the bucket. Angling the weapon towards the sides of the bucket inadvertently could dramatically alter your results.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've seen folks use rubber mats stuffed in a barrel as a clearing station. Certainly some stacked mats under sand would yield a foolproof setup

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can say with some confidence as it was the solution we picked for our range that a 5 gal pail filled with fine dry sand will stop any handgun round you would normally see at a competition range.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11007 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If you're going to use a bucket of sand as a clearing barrel, you might want to put the lid on it. It won't deflect the bullet, and it will keep sand from blowing back in your face or onto your floor.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
How about you just use the proper technique and LOOK to see that the chamber is empty before messing around with sand?
This x 100

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post