SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    It was “New Beretta Day” This Week
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It was “New Beretta Day” This Week Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
I picked up a new 92FS this week. Model number J92F631. A 92FS with night sights and three magazines. The night sights are dovetailed, so really a Vertec slide stamped “92FS”. I first saw these about three years ago but didn’t grab one. Finally saw a new batch pop up so I jumped. This is pretty much my “ultimate” modern Beretta. Non-radiused back strap and a straight dustcover. According to Beretta’s website it was made in 2021. My first Tennessee Beretta too. Fit and finish are great. In certain lighting the frame does seem to have that blueish-grey look I have seen on many of the Tenn. made Beretta’s but that does not really bother me.

A few pics alongside my favorite 92 of all time, my 1982 Beretta 92SB. In my opinion the best Beretta 92 ever made.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I see what you mean about the tint, but that looks pretty good to me. I can't argue with getting a "freedom from a gun-hating state" model either.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Beretta is always a good choice. I like the "two tone" look of the blue/gray frame.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I guess it is “new Beretta week.” Big Grin

I like that the front sight is dovetailed. Anymore, that should be a standard feature.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Must be something in the air? A lot of Beretta love lately. But there is just something both very pleasing and attractive about a Beretta 92 mechanical aesthetics. Great score for sure!

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Hey, wow, I had no idea that an honest to goodness old school straight dust cover non-rail 92 FS was in current production! I still don't care for the frame warning and I'd prefer the glossy black finish of the early guns' slides and frames, but that bluish grey doesn't look half bad.

Are these limited production guns, or are they expected to remain in the Beretta line-up for awhile?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are these limited production guns, or are they expected to remain in the Beretta line-up for awhile?

From what I have seen the product code J92F631 is a "Police Special" with night sights. That specific item has been around a while they are just using the dovetailed slides instead of drilling the front sight (that no one does anymore). As far as the straight dust cover yes, I was very happy to see that. As mentioned I saw this model about three years ago and every one had the straight dust cover. Not sure why Beretta made these pistols that way but I'm not complaining.

As far as the frame finish it shows up in pictures way more than it does in real life. I too prefer the jet black look but this does not bother me.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure why Beretta made these pistols that way but I'm not complaining.

Pre-stocking inventory or overruns for .gov contracts, maybe?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Nice! That is a sweet looking gun. I did not know that model existed.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
...overruns for .gov contracts, maybe?

Entirely possible. The non-radiused back strap and straight dustcover is the standard M9 frame style. Maybe Beretta just shifted these frames to "Police Special" production and gave them the civilian rollmarks. Interestingly the ones I saw three years ago were made in MD and had the same M9 frame and dovetailed sights. Now the ones popping up under this code also have the M9 frame style even though Beretta has been producing regular 92FS's with the radiused back strap and slanted dustcover. So whether it is a conscious effort on the part of Beretta to build Police Special models with the M9 frame or they are just trying to use up excess M9 frames I have no idea.

The two codes for Police Specials I have seen are:

J92F630 - 92FS, 3 15rd mags standard sights (and these have the regular non-dovetailed sight)
J92F631 - 92FS, 3 15rd mags night sights (every one I have seen in the last three years has the dovetailed front sight)

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I'd prefer the glossy black finish of the early guns' slides and frames

Since the pics I took today do not do justice to the 92SB, I have pulled out some old ones I took. The gloss black anodized frame and blued slide are absolutely gorgeous. If I were issued this Beretta in 1982 I would be afraid to take it out of my holster. A work of art.

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
That is a nice set.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That SB is gorgeous.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Beretta's, especially that 92SB

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
simply iconic handguns

-------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Beretta 92's and Browning Hi Powers, the two most beautiful pistols

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
leftover M9 frame forgings

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post