SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger single action aftermarket grips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger single action aftermarket grips Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
Who would you all recommend if I was wanting to buy a set of Birdseye maple grips for a Ruger single action Blackhawk or Vaquero? I feel like I’ve seen them on here before but I can’t remember where people got them. I assume they are all custom.

Posts: 4617 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have buffalo horn on my Colt SAA from https://www.eaglegrips.com/

Posts: 195 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3548 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that has a set of Rowen Custom grips but you had better sit down before you see the prices on them. Badger Custom grips are another company but I have no affiliation or experience with either.

I looked on the Ruger website and it looks like they put Birdseye Maple grips on some Blackhawk models. Granted they are a Talo edition/model. It also depends on model and type-newer or older gun.

On a side note, I bought/traded for an older Backhawk that had a set of bonded ivory/faux grips on it, also came with the standard wood and cannot believe what the faux ivory grips sell for now.

Posts: 6934 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I ended up ordering a set from chigs grips. Price was pretty reasonable for the Birdseye maple and Chad the owner was
very responsive and helpful, making the decision easier.

I had called Ruger to see what they had, but they don’t have those Birdseye maple grips like the Talo edition.

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Nice. I saw the Birdseye Maple that was sold, maybe that's yours. I've picked up a few, and Ruger inserts. Enjoy.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Thanks I hope they look as clean as yours do!

posted Hide Post
I made up this set of Maple (fiddle back not birds eye however), for one of my son's Ruger Single Six .22's.

Making grips for a Ruger isn't all that hard when you get down to it. You cut the blank to thickness then establish the approx. 90 degree frame fit at the top. Trace the contour, cut & shape to the line, then drill the locating pin at the bottom.

Drum sand to shape and finish down to ~400 grit. Tung oil makes up into a good resilient finish as does rubbed poly or even boiled linseed oil. Brownells sells the escutcheon nut and bolt and a sweet drill bit that cuts the hole and the escutcheon nut recess. HTH's Rod 2nd pic of some others I've done.

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 735 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Rod, those are some beauties! What wood types are those four in the middle picture? I've tried my hand at 1911 grips...I think I need to try some for my Blackhawks! Although I'm pretty happy with the maple grips they already have on them:

Posts: 8733 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Some great looking grips there gentlemen.

posted Hide Post
Chig's Grips on my Single Six, Claro walnut. Reasonably priced.

Tim

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 692 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
92FStech...good looking maple stocks on yours as well. I've got some maple that's absolutely clear of figure and would like to make up another pair....maybe with a light, pale yellow stain...that'd give them an aged ivory look. Too, I've looked for a blank of Holly which is almost pure white in examples I've seen, but haven't run across any locally. It'd look good on one of my SS Rugers.

The stocks in the middle pic, from the top, are: Black&white ebony, curly (fiddle back) maple, spalted popular, and the bottom one is cocobolo, IIRC. The spalting in the poplar is a bacterial infestation, a part of the rotting process. The board came off some of our horse fencing and was still quite hard, but to kill off the bacteria, I had to 'cook' the blanks in my wife's oven for 20 minutes at 200 degrees. I liked the contrast and they made up into quite hard stocks. The .45 Colt N Vaquero in the bottom pic also has spalted poplar grips. Maple sometimes can be found with spalting but it rots fast when on the ground so is difficult to obtain in usable condition.

Best regards, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

posted Hide Post
To one and all...life's too short to carry an ugly piece....great looking stocks on all of your guns...well done, Sir's. best regards, Rod

posted Hide Post
Very nice looking grips guys.I am rethinking about getting a set for mine.

Rod, your grips are fantastic. Ever think about making it a side job? I know it's a lot of work but you have a gift.

Posts: 6934 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Rod, thanks for the info on the spalting. I've got some spalted maple in my wood pile that came off the trees in my front yard. I made some 1911 grips with it, but failed to bake it and they started falling apart. I'll try that next time!

I also have some holly (at least I think it's holly), and it is indeed white. I kind of ruined my first attempt with it by oiling it, which yellowed it. I think next time I'll try clear poly. It was kind of soft and had a weird grain...it was easy to work with on the sander, but difficult to get smooth and finish.

Posts: 8733 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chig’s fitted a set of walnut Burl to my 41 Mag earlier this year. Chad has quick turn around time and does excellent work at a very decent price.

Shoot Safe...

Mike

Posts: 7 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
There are several grip frames for Rugers. Ensure your grips match your frame!

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5115 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post