SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Project Farm test some CLPs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Project Farm test some CLPs Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted
Project Farm test some CLPs Hoppe’s 9 vs Break Free CLP, Slip 2000, Ballistol, Frog Lube, Extreme Force, Clenzoil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fibRewlndLg

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Hooray for Project Farm! Big Grin

Very impressive!

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The_Watcher
posted Hide Post
Solid Content as usual. I was surprised by the frog lube performance as it applies to corrosion protection.

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Break-Free CLP was doing great until they got to corrosion protection.

(That's what I use.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

(That's what I use.)

I'm thinking, use my Break-Free CLP for the Clean and Lube and wipe down the outer exposed slide/frame area w/ my Hoppe's where people complain about slide rust and pitting? For myself.
I've yet to use my Lucas stuff and am curious about that.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That was a much better test than I've seen anyone else perform.

I found the Slip 2000 results particularly interesting. I’ve gotten the impression that it has an almost cult-like “All the smart guys use Slip 2000” following, but it was nothing to write home about in any category.

Lucas has had some good recommendations, and I’d be interested to see how the oil performs.

Thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. I’ll need to watch this. I’ve been very happy with SLIP2000 and Lucas Extreme.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I like my Ezzox too bad it wasn’t included.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I really like that this guy just gets straight into his video stuff and doesn't waste any time. Almost doesn't even use punctuation while talking Razz

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I think the conclusion to be drawn is to not use an all-in-one CLP product and instead get a separate product that does each duty well.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well said.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
I think the conclusion to be drawn is to not use an all-in-one CLP product and instead get a separate product that does each duty well.

Yep. I used to use Breakfree CLP for everything, but now use separate solvent, lubricant, and protectant, rather than relying on just a lone "jack of all/master of none".

I typically use Hoppes solvents for cleaning, Tetra grease and Lucas Extreme oil for lubrication, and Breakfree Collector for exterior rust protection.

I do keep a smaller bottle of Breakfree CLP stashed in my range gear, for times when I just need something to get me by until I can get back to my workbench. In secondary situations like that, the convenience of carrying one bottle makes up for the fact that it's not as good at any of the roles as a dedicated product.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Breakfree CLP on boresnakes and to do some cleaning. I use Breakfree LP (CLP without the C) for lubrication and corrosion protection.

For copper I use Break Free Bore Foam.

For a lot of cleaning I use Hoppe's Elite which is non toxic water based.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The video confirmed my current practice: Breakfree CLP and Slide Glide.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I typically use Hoppes solvents for cleaning, ...

I used to use Hoppe's solvent for cleaning. Then, when I got my first 1911, I looked up a video on cleaning and lubing a 1911. The very first video I watched had a guy cleaning using BreakFree CLP. "That works?" I asked myself. So I tried it. Damned if it didn't. Subsequently I did a test: First cleaned with BF CLP, then checked if Hoppe's solvent got anything the CLP did not. Not really. Not anything another pass with CLP would not have, IMO.

In fact: Because BF CLP is more viscous, so it sticks around a bit better, I'm thinking it does a better job than Hoppe's solvent for cleaning.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I do keep a smaller bottle of Breakfree CLP stashed in my range gear, ...

I have both a small bottle of BF CLP and Lucas gun oil in my range bag.

I use Slide Glide Lite and either Wilson's Ultima Lube or Lucas gun oils for lubes.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Excellent video, thanks for posting.

Here is another (more exhaustive) study on corrosion protection, using multiple boards:

"COMPREHENSIVE CORROSION TEST: 46 PRODUCTS COMPARED"

https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Its worth reading the entire article.

The summary:

Posts: 15842 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I wonder how well Weapon Shield CLP would hold up to these tests.

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Very thorough test. I appreciate people who have the wherewithal to do that kind of stuff.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

(That's what I use.)

I have used Breakfree CLP for years and also use it for corrosion protection and it has always worked very well for me and was among the best in my basement salt water exposure tests lasting months with only Eezox doing better. Several other tests I have seen showed that BF CLP is excellent for corrosion control.

I like the Project Farm videos a lot but in this case I think his corrosion tests were very unrealistic in that the test panels were first in the over set at 400 for an hour and then after cooling were sprayed with a mixture of salt, hydrogen peroxide, and vinegar. Other testing that I have seen for corrosion used salt water. The milspec standard is also based on exposure to salt water I believe.

It would also have been very interesting if he included something like Mobil 1 oil as part of the testing.

I will never use Frog Lube inside a firearm as it has a propensity to harden over time and there have been reports of it causing semi auto pistols to malfunction by hardening inside the firing pin channel.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solvents are not lubricants.

Solvents remove lubricants.

Solvents aren't preservatives. They remove preservatives.

Preservatives aren't lubricants.

All-in-one, isn't.

Don't.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post