SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    GLOCK 43 or 43x?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GLOCK 43 or 43x? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
I was considering the 43x but it dawned on me that I could just get the 43 and add an extended baseplate and have both. Who makes the best baseplate? taran? Is it comfortable and offer a good grip? Or should I just get the 43x. This will be a carry gun. I want absolute reliability. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7961 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
That solved my wanting a Glock 45. I simply bought a few X-grip mag sleeves for G-17 mags for use with my G-19’s. Get the G43. I use both Taran and Vickers for my G43 mags. Pearce for my G42

Posts: 13818 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
The Taran +1 is just about perfect- for me. It offers just enough additional length to have a bit more of a solid grip. I think they are very well-made although a bit pricey.

Also try a Pearce and see if the "lip" works well for you. Those are inexpensive and worth the experiment.

I just this last week handled a 43X for the first time. Nice, but I think my 43 still suits my needs just fine.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I also see that hyve makes some base plates. Who makes the best?

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7961 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You'll just buy both.

I know you.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
You'll just buy both.

I know you.

I was just thinking about that.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
quote:
You'll just buy both.

I know you.

Uh huh

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
You'll just buy both.

I know you.

Uh huh

Dammit.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I think you need to take a closer look. The 43 has a completely different backstrap shape, that didn't work for me. Two very different guns.

The 43x is worlds above the 43 for this reason alone. But if you've shot and like the 43, then have at it.

I don't like mag extensions either, but that is personal preference and a proclivity to want to avoid blood blisters in my pinky.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was considering the 43x but it dawned on me that I could just get the 43 and add an extended baseplate and have both. Who makes the best baseplate? taran? Is it comfortable and offer a good grip? Or should I just get the 43x. This will be a carry gun. I want absolute reliability. Thanks.

Here was my pro's vs con's when Glock announced the Glock 43x. Keep in mind, I have owned two Glock 43's. One was dead nuts accurate and reliable. The other had some feeding and extracting issues in the first 400 rounds, but a new extractor and RSA fixed it.

Glock 43x Pro's:
1. Full length grip. I've had issues with both Taran and Vickers extended pads that I was able to contribute to them and not the weapon.
2. 10 rounds over 6 or 8
3. I like the front slide serrations
4. Grip is just a tad wider
5. Holster options are vast due to it being only a mm wider than the 43
6. Two tone. I love a two tone weapon
7. Glock mags (for me) have been the most reliable part of the weapon. I have no reason to doubt the 43x mags will be the same.

Glock 43x Con's:
1. Grip is too long for a deep carry or pocket carry
2. Mags will take forever to get out there and decent price like the 43
3. Even though the slides are basically the same, it doesn't have a track record the 43 has

Glock 43 Pro's:
1. Proven. Some of the most badass folks in the game trust and carry one.
2. Mags are 20 bucks and sold at every bait/tackle/laundry mat/Stop n Rob on the planet
3. You cand find them new or like new for 300-400 dollars and every bait/tackle/laundry mat/Stop n Rob on the planet has them in stock
4. Plenty of color options aside from black on black.
5. Number five is the same as number one, but needs to be said again. It's proven

Glock 43 Con's:
1. 6 round capacity. I know you can jump to 7/8/9, but by that time, you're at a Glock 43x length. I don't trust mag extensions for shit. I've had issues in the past and I prefer keeping it as stock as possible.
2. Very thin. I know it's only a mm or so, but it was enough that I could notice it.

I didn't have many negatives about the Glock 43. It's a helluva weapon, but the 43x for me, is just about perfect in every way. What I don't find perfect, I can change out for less than 50 bucks.

And just because it's a sexy beast:

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Glock 43X. I use extenders when I have too but the 43X eliminates that need with full grip with 10 rounds. As mentioned the grip is slightly wider on the 43X and so far a lot of positive comments on that.

Posts: 9749 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The 43 exists for one purpose, to be a minimal size carry gun in 9x19mm. It makes some compromises to be that (mag capacity, some lowered shootability.) If you need something that small for carry, get it, if not get the 43x (or also a 26, if you prefer wider to longer.)

But going with the 43x puts you on a slippery upward slope. If this is a carry gun, and you can carry a 43x, pretty likely you can carry a 19, and get a 50% increase in mag capacity. Do you own a 19 yet?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
If you’re going to buy 2, why not the 43 and 48? Then you can put the 43 slide on the 48 frame to make a 43X. Then you have 3 for the price of 2! Not that I’ve been contemplating how to explain a new gun or 2 to my wife. Just saying!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Damn, I just thought about it! A 48 slide on the 43 frame. 4 Guns for the price of 2! This keeps getting better and better!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I bought the 43x. Really like the full grip and I don't completely trust mag extensions either.

Handled a 48. Damn. May be getting one of those too! And a 43.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
Damn, I just thought about it! A 48 slide on the 43 frame. 4 Guns for the price of 2! This keeps getting better and better!

I put my 48 together like that the variety you can do with the 48 and 43 make a great combo!

I really like the feel of the 48 best for just plinking.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are all great just a little different. The 43 is awesome but I traded it toward my 43x and 48. Reason is because for pocket my 42 was was more realistic and the 43x and 48 I carry IWB like the 43 with 4 more rounds and full size grip. Can't go wrong with any of them just a matter of the primary purpose.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own the G43, and carry it a lot. I'll look at the G43X when I get home.

I use Pearce +1 baseplates. I used the +0, but the +1 suffer no reliability issues, and are no longer than the +1, and they still fit nicely in my pocket for draw from a DeSantis holster. That means that when I draw, I have eight rounds available, and 7 in each mag, and ETS makes 10 round mags for the G43, if someone wants them. I have a few, but don't carry them.

I've used the factory G43 mags a lot, as well as ETS magazines with excellent reliability. I have no hesitation to carry the G43, especially given the ease with which it can be carried and retrieved from a pocket.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think you pegged it. You'll wind up with all three. Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought the 43x. Really like the full grip and I don't completely trust mag extensions either.

Handled a 48. Damn. May be getting one of those too! And a 43.

Now you're talking, one of each. I've been thinking the same thing.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post