SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock Safety?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Safety? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I have never seen a Glock 17 with a safety.

Is there a version made with a safety? One that might be in use by LE in Norway?

I'm reading a book, enjoying it up to this point, and a Norwegian policewoman just engaged the safety on her G-17. Possible? Or bad writing / editing / research?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31313 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There were some Glocks produced with various manual safeties at the factory, usually relatively small runs for overseas police department orders.

I don't know of a specific run for the Norwegian police, though. From what I can find, the Norwegian police have used the HK P30 for the past decade after switching from S&W Model 10 revolvers in 2008, and are now in the process of adopting the P320.

And it's not uncommon for non-gun-knowledgeable writers to talk about "flipping the safety" or "cocking the hammer" on a Glock.

Earlier thumb lever:

Later thumb lever:

Cross-bolt:

Glock's unsuccessful entry into the military's Modular Handgun System trial also had a factory ambidextrous thumb safety:

Posts: 32975 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

it's not uncommon for non-gun-knowledgeable writers to talk about "flipping the safety" or "cocking the hammer" on a Glock.
Agreed. I have seen a lot of bad writing. This one seems to be pretty decent, the only thing that I was questioning was the safety. Here is the passage in question:
quote:
Miller, Derek B.. Norwegian by Night (p. 245). HMH Books. Kindle Edition:

"She takes a key from around her neck, opens the glove box, and removes a 9 mm Glock 17 pistol. She releases the magazine and pulls it from the gun, which she places on her lap. Then she presses her fingers down hard on the bullets to check that the magazine is fully loaded. She puts it between her thighs and picks up the pistol. She pulls the slide all the way back until it clicks open, and peers into the chamber to make sure it’s empty. She checks the magazine receiver for any debris or lint. Satisfied, she returns the magazine to the pistol. With a flick of her thumb on the release, the spring rams the slide forward, chambering the first round, “American style.” She engages the safety and holsters the gun."
Another point that I just noticed, evidently the slide has locked back without an empty magazine, and there is no mention of her engaging the slide lock.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31313 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Sounds like bad writing from someone who knows just enough about guns to get it very wrong.

("American style" Roll Eyes)

Posts: 32975 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
("American style" )
Probably intended to imply as opposed to so-called "Israeli stlye" (full magazine, empty chamber).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים