SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Buying online
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying online Login/Join 
posted
Probably already a billion post on this topic so - now we're at a billion +1.

Being as there's not much "in stock" at the typical local gun sources, BassPro, Cabela's, Academy n' such, my search has turned to the internet. I'm seeing some stuff but then I see it's for sale by an individual. I actually saw a P229 for sale by an unregistered, on the site, user in Chicago. I'm thinking is this for real? Would anyone by a pistol from an unidentified user located in Chicago?

Anyway... What's the best way to purchase a gun from an individual online? We're talking a fair amount of money. Most want cash, cashiers check or money order - just like the sham/shady folks from [insert foreign country]. So how do you protect yourself when making these purchases. As we all know PayPal doesn't accept gun purchases. I suppose coming from an individal PayPal doesn't know what actually got sold. But then if there's a problem and it calls for getting PayPal involved I'm pretty sure they'll wash their hands of the deal pretty quickly after finding out someone went around their policies to make a gun purchase.

I don't have near the problem buying online from a certified business.

How the heck do you choose an FFL to do business with. Some of these are home based entities that I know nothing about - but they also offer the lowest cost. Suppose I make an online purchase and the firearm is sent to my selected FFL. What's to keep the FFL from simply accepting the firearm and keeping it? What if they don't send it to your FFL but say they did - and the FFL says they never got it?

Buying firearms online - YIKES!

"Can't" that's the word which people that don't want to use.

Posts: 15 | Registered: July 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dougw1515:
Probably already a billion post on this topic so - now we're at a billion +1.

Being as there's not much "in stock" at the typical local gun sources, BassPro, Cabela's, Academy n' such, my search has turned to the internet. I'm seeing some stuff but then I see it's for sale by an individual. I actually saw a P229 for sale by an unregistered, on the site, user in Chicago. I'm thinking is this for real? Would anyone by a pistol from an unidentified user located in Chicago?

Anyway... What's the best way to purchase a gun from an individual online? We're talking a fair amount of money. Most want cash, cashiers check or money order - just like the sham/shady folks from [insert foreign country]. So how do you protect yourself when making these purchases. As we all know PayPal doesn't accept gun purchases. I suppose coming from an individal PayPal doesn't know what actually got sold. But then if there's a problem and it calls for getting PayPal involved I'm pretty sure they'll wash their hands of the deal pretty quickly after finding out someone went around their policies to make a gun purchase.

I don't have near the problem buying online from a certified business.

How the heck do you choose an FFL to do business with. Some of these are home based entities that I know nothing about - but they also offer the lowest cost. Suppose I make an online purchase and the firearm is sent to my selected FFL. What's to keep the FFL from simply accepting the firearm and keeping it? What if they don't send it to your FFL but say they did - and the FFL says they never got it?

Buying firearms online - YIKES!

Sounds like you are a Babe in the Woods !
I'll try to go easy on you.

1) Join a local Gun Forum.
Mine is NWFA and anything that I need to know LOCALLY about guns, dealers, FFL's is right there. Just ask the question.

2) With your experience, forget about buying from an individual on line that you don't know.

3) Put the call out for a "Good FFL" in your area on your local gun forum.

4) Buy from a reputable, on line dealer.
Just ask here.
"Is this on line dealer any good ?"

5) No FFL is going to "run off" with your gun.
We're talking Federal offenses and prison time.

I have a 67 year old friend that can barely operate a computer making his first on line gun purchase this week.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Relax and enjoy the experience. Quality, large sites like GunBroker, Guns America and Guns International offer a good variety. At Guns International you will find smaller FFLs selling. Also many listings by Cabelas. Prices can vary and thats good. There are some good dealers here in SigForum. Find a respectable FFL near you who will do your transfer. They charge a small fee. When you find your purchase on line, share all information of your transfer dealer with the seller. Dot all is and cross all ts. Information must be accurate and is important. Otherwise, you chance slowing down the transaction. The 2 dealers will exchange FFL informations. Buy, pay and, give all informations such as dealers addresses, phone and Fax numbers, email addresses, gun information as well. Be thourough and accurate...savvy?

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just deal with at least a somewhat reputable seller, look at feedback. The tool on Gunbroker will help find a local FFL to deal through.

I just bought a Sig P365 10 days ago in the height of this panic. A lot is about the search, one can cover more ground with a keyboard compared to driving around.

I bought all kinds of guns long distance, just have to deal with the handful of hoops to complete the deal.

What you looking for, a P229?

Posts: 6193 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on where you are buying from. If we are talking about funbroker they have a feedback system so anybody with zero feedback selling high priced items I would probably steer clear of. On forums I would look at their post count and look at previous posts by the person to see if they are a contributing member of the forum or just there for the classified ads to scam people.

If either of these are true and you still want to proceed with the transaction you could ask for their phone number and at the very least talk to them. I’ve noticed scammers are not usually interested in actually talking on the phone many will only communicate by email/text.

If they are shipping it through an FFL you could always ask if that Ffl will hold the firearm while the transaction takes place. Then once they receive your money the Ffl already has the gun and gets the ok to ship it out.

I have a home-based Ffl and couldn’t imagine stealing someone’s transfer, but if that is a concern for you then pay the couple extra bucks and have it shipped to a brick and mortar store. Reviews are also useful tools. Do they have google reviews? Just because they have a brick and mortar store doesn’t make them good or honest people. I don’t know from experience but I would assume if an Ffl was stealing firearms Atf would probably have been notified and they probably wouldn’t have a license anymore and they would be hanging out in your local prison.

Online buying can bite you in the ass no matter how careful you are, but all you can do is look into things to try and protect yourself as much as possible.

As many above have said I would just buy online from a reputable dealer/seller and not worry about the headache of buying from a random individual for your first online firearms shopping experience.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My only bad online buying experience was buying from a private individual. I did finally get the firearm, but never again. I will only buy from a licensed dealer.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

What you looking for, a P229?

I was but have since decided on a P226 Mk25 along with a P365XL. Right now waiting for my LTC to come back. Shouldn't be much longer - I hope!

posted Hide Post
I only buy or sell from/to individuals on this forum. I've never been disappointed.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Hello and welcome! If you're comfortable saying, what area of the country are you in? We have members all over and can probably recommend you an FFL to use.
I remember first buying a gun "on line" and was nervous about the FFL process. I used an FFL that was recommended to me on this very forum and it was great. I had a great relationship for many years with that FFL until I moved. Found a new kitchen table FFL that I used until he retired.

If you buy from a place like Gunbroker, you have protections, but it's still a potential issue. I do my homework on the seller before buying. If I'm buying on a forum, I make sure it's from an established member.

Buying online hasn't been an issue for me at all over many many years. Just make sure you avoid the obvious shady folks with deals too good to be true and you'll be fine.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And be careful with Armslist.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16126 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have purchased quite a few firearms from individuals and companies, online. I have also purchased items out of state, and had them shipped to an FFL in my home state, to pick up.

Places like Bud's Gun Shop have a wide variety of firearms and sometimes allow payment plans. If you know what you're buying, order it, pay for it, have it shipped to a local store, and pick it up. I have a local shop that charges me twenty bucks to receive the firearm; I fill the paperwork, but there's no background check because I have an concealed permit.

I've bought various used police firearms that were trade-ins from companies like Recoil Gun Works and AIM Surplus. I've purchased new and used from members on this forum, and other locations. In all the years, I've had one difficult purchase, and that was an HK USC. The seller took my money, and disappeared for a time. Finally after threat of legal action, I got it, many months later, and found that the seller had butchered it with a dremel tool. It sits in a safe, a project for another day. That was many years ago, and I've purchased many firearms before and since, online, without an issue, from individuals and businesses.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I confess... I'm buying a P226 MK25 from Bass Pro Shop. I went the about 4 days ago and they had it. So, when back today and when they still had it I bought it - sort of. I was waiting for my Texas LTC to come in before purchasing but a lot of what I saw/liked is gone. Made the decision to purchase this one even though that means going through the background check - again. After waiting a couple of hours with a status of "Delayed" I talked to the counter guy again and he said could take as much as 3-4 days. That's not out of line with what I have heard from other places. I was thinking 4-5 hours but it's been that and no call from BassPro yet. I'm at my shop and the LTC will show up at the house - when it shows up. It may be in the mailbox right now... dunno.

I'll try on online purchase as some point. I make a ton of online purchases as it is right now and even some for the kind of money these guns are fetching - don't even blink an eye. But I use PayPal(one form of protection) and a credit card(a second line of protection) and because of PayPal's policies I lose that first line of protection.

posted Hide Post
If you are looking to buy used online, I think that your safest option is probably Gunbroker with the seller being an FFL. Another option is the online sellers that focus on police surplus handguns. Buying used online from an FFL doesn't guarantee a smooth transaction but at least they are concerned about protecting their reputation so they are more concerned about being honest with the guns condition and proper shipping.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone’s input. As I posted earlier I’ve already started the process for the P226 MK25 at BassPro. Once that transaction is competed I’ll move on the P365XL.

I sorta figured out where my phobia on buying a gun on line comes from - I simply don’t know enough about them to spot the ones I should stay away from. That will change as I get acclimated to the gun ownership world.

I did take the advice and linked up with a local Texas forum. I’m sure I’ll get solid info on that site as I have on this one.

To answer someone’s else’s question - I’m in the Houston TX area... east side.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Another plus aspect of buying on line that is important is to read and see that the sellers offer a 3 day inspection period. Some clearly read, no returns accepted.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Another plus aspect of buying on line that is important is to read and see that the sellers offer a 3 day inspection period. Some clearly read, no returns accepted.

Seems all the ones I looked at clearly stated “ NO RETURNS!!!” I don’t recall any offering 3 day inspections.

Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
I have bought both of my guns online. I found a FFl that would do the transfer and my first gun was a P229 Elite from CDNN. The prices were 300-400 lees than used around here and it was NIB. The second was a P225 A1 that i purchased from a member of this forum and used the same FFL as before and both were absolutely perfect transactions. Could not have been a better experience. I would say be cautious and don't put yourself in a position where you are uncomfortable. As others have said, no way would I buy from someone I did not know and wants to meet in person. Not yet anyway. Best of luck and it's not as difficult as you think.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 240 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Doug, please email me. My address is in my profile. I'd email you, but yours in not in your profile.

Posts: 3189 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
The only individuals I have bought from were on this forum & were folks with good reputations. I've done it 4 times and in every instance it went smoothly.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post