SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on the P938?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on the P938? Login/Join 
Picture of Nick2cd
posted
I’m curious what the general opinion is regarding the P938. Good carry gun? Reliable? Any known issues or oddities?

Posts: 1953 | Location: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: January 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
quote:
P938

I had one for a while and eventually sold it, for no other reason than it simply didn't feel good to me. As for function and reliability, it was flawless and I wouldn't hesitate to use it as my primary EDC.

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 126 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I love my 365's. My buddy doesn't. We met up and I let him try my 21A Bobcat, and my Kel-Tek LCP clone. Neither put a rise in his kilt, so we went from range side to gun counter side of the place. He looked at various mouse 9's and eventually narrowed it down to the 938 and the little Kimber. We began finger fondling the 2 little Micro-9's. That was my one and only introduction to the 938.

By the way, my buddy ended up buying the Kimber. For him, it was all about "how" the grips felt in his hand.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PHC
posted Hide Post
I have a p938 with Viridian Green laser sight, for a small 9mm I think it’s great. Have shot hundreds of rounds thru it with no problems. I do like the extended sig magazine for a better grip.

Retired PHC USN

Posts: 33 | Registered: December 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have a P938 SAS that I carried for a while and I shoot extremely well. It got relegated to sitting in the safe with the addition of a P365. I am in the process of getting my wife to shoot with me again, as it’s been over 20 years. Going through the potential guns, she chose the P938 as the one that feels best in her hand. Mine has been 100 percent reliable and likes 124gr HSTs in the non +P variety. I too like the extended magazine for carry and shooting.

Posts: 2967 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like single action it’s great, I absolutely loved mine. But I couldn’t get used to operating a safety reliably so I sold it. But it was very reliable, I shot it very, very well and it was tiny. My only complaint was that if you carry a spare magazine in your pocket the first round tends to pop out every now and then but other than that it’a a great choice if you like sub single action pistols

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I love my P938 Scorpion and has become my primary EDC. I've been owning and shooting 1911's for 50+ years so the safety isn't an issue for me.
The Hogue finger groove grips made a huge difference in how well I shoot the gun. I highly recommend them.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 938 is my small EDC pistol. Tried a 365, but went back to the 938. I am a 1911 shooter and the safety is ingrained in my muscle memory.

Posts: 508 | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
If considering a P938, I strongly suggest the P938 Legion.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...340084454#1340084454

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I like mine for carry. Small enough for when it's warm out and cloths are thin.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billinaz
posted Hide Post
I had a 238 and sold it for the 938.

Its a great little hideaway gun. I use Federal HST ammo and an OWB suede lined leather holster from Andrews Leather.....

Posts: 159 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I really like mine, and I shoot it better than any other small pistol that I have tried.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 things from my experience. Or lack of said. Lol

I would never pocket carry a cocked and locked gun. Many would and I won’t argue with your own personal choice.

I never shot the 938 but I have shot the 238. One very nice shooter. Smooth is an understatement. I bet the 938 is just as nice.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
My P938 has been flawless. I bought a Rosewood. The only changes I have made are to replace the grips with Hogue Rubber Grips, and change the trigger to a Tillamook smooth trigger. I found that the original trigger caused a blister on my finger (happens to some people, not everyone). The P938 is my EDC in a Ryan Grizzle holster. Also the eight round Kimber Micro Nine 8 round magazines work in the P938, giving an 8+1 initial payload.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P938. Good shooter for such a small 9mm.

What I don't like is the recoil spring from Hell, fighting with "slinky" to install it in place after a cleaning.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Had a P938 Legion - safety was tiny compared to my carry 1911's, recoil was snappy even with 9mm, malfunctioned a few times in the first few hundred rounds and the group sizing at fighting distance was "meh".

My P365 carries twice the load, has a sweet trigger, hasn't yet to malfunction, recoil is excellent for 9mm in a small gun and it's so shootable, that I normally just run the full duty gun qual with it at work instead of the shortened off-duty qual.

Sold my P938.

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I pocket carried one for a couple of years until I moved to the P365.

Never had a problem with it. It does take a little more effort to learn to shoot well due to size, other than that definitely good to go.

I went with the SAS model and added a crimson trace laser. Actually been thinking about selling it since it just sits in the safe, anyone interested shoot me an email.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
If you can find a Kimber Micro 9, compare it yourself & draw your own conclusionsWink

Posts: 13818 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had one when they were 1st released. Did not like WWB ammunition but that was it. Ran great with everything else.
Woman who's a friend of mine picked one up last year on my recommendation and she really likes it. Easy for her to shoot and reliable.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick2cd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I see a lot of good feedback on the Hellcat as well. The mag capacity is better being that it’s double stack but I don’t have any experience with one. Good to know the Kimber micro 9 mags fit the 938 and increase capacity.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: January 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post